Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my Sky about a week ago and haven't been able to drive it yet cuz the dealer is dragging its *** getting me the title. Anyway, the top won't close. My dad said he thinks maybe the top shrunk. Is this a possibility? I saw that you could tighten/loosen the screws on the trunk to help give the top more flexibility. Is that safe, or should those not be messed with. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I think you'll need to give us more details describing the problem and maybe some pics. I've never heard of a top shrinking to the point that it won't close.

-GT

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you'll need to give us more details describing the problem and maybe some pics. I've never heard of a top shrinking to the point that it won't close.

-GT
Sure thing. Basically, the top can't get close enough to where it needs to get hooked into place. So the locking device only goes halfway, instead of all the way to the right. Look at the pic for reference.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Take a look at the two little silver doors, that open when the top goes up. They can block the top mechanism from closing. I have a problem with one of mine. Tulip doors is what most call them. My driver side hits and has a chip on it. Watching the function it does not move as soon as the passenger side. There are scrapes on the lifting bows of the top from mine. Also be sure the locking bar on the front is open and left that way when you put the top up or down.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Make sure your top is not pinched where it folds. These tops are notorious for having pinching problems that will prevent you from fully closing. Also ensure it is aligned and seated in the seals at where the top meets the back of the doors on both sides. That is another place where it will become mis-aligned and could prevent full closure.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Make sure your windows are down or both doors open. That can keep it from coming up far enough to latch it. The top can ride on top of the windows.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Don't try to lock the top with the buttresses down. Leave them up until the top is locked.

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Your buttresses are locked. According to the picture.

Your not looking at the Tulip doors. behind the seats, two silver doors that flip up. If they are wedged against the top it will stop it from moving far enough forward. I have had the problem with mine. I would send a picture, but the car is 30 miles from here.

Put the top down, check to the silver doors, it appears to be farther back on the driver side, that indicates the problem would be with the driver side tulip door. It should lift easily and be flat against the rest of the area when the top is down. If it wedges, there will be damage on the back of the inside edge, towards the middle of the car.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Mine does this if the windows are up and I try to latch it. Looks exactly like your picture. Also, don't close the trunk lid before latching the top. You won't be able to stretch it enough to close it, or it will be very difficult.

We can't tell if the top is pinched where it bends. I don't think it is from looking across your last picture. It looks pretty even from what I can tell so I'm guessing it is not.

·
Registered
520 Posts
It looks just like mine when the windows are up. Read the manual first. Windows need to down so the top will clear the window area. The reason is because the windows make a tight seal against the top when they are up. This tight fit will make it nigh unto impossible to close the top when the windows are up. Also check the pin alignment on the top of the windshield to make sure that they are lined up before trying to lock the top in place.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
As other have noted, top should be latched when the trunk is open and the windows down (or doors open). Same is true when stowing.

Check the b-pillar and ensure the top seats properly into the receptacles just past the door.

Also check the latch hook itself and see if it's bent. When stowing the top the latch must remain open. If the latch is closed then the trunk latch will ding it when closing the trunk. Ding it hard enough, and it could foul it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We just tried to get it in place again without success. I think it's more a problem with the hook not going into place. It doesn't really look bent though. This is so frustrating!

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
We just tried to get it in place again without success. I think it's more a problem with the hook not going into place. It doesn't really look bent though. This is so frustrating!
If the hook is bent, it could be hanging up somewhere other than where it is supposed to be.

Your pictures look good, and it looks like my top just before it latches shut, so I suspect something wrong with your latch.

Does the hook move when you move the latch handle?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Your pictures show the buttresses closed. Not sure at what stage you closed them, but they MUST be 'flapped UP' (open) when closing the inside handle. Then latched down as the last stage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the hook is bent, it could be hanging up somewhere other than where it is supposed to be.

Your pictures look good, and it looks like my top just before it latches shut, so I suspect something wrong with your latch.

Does the hook move when you move the latch handle?
Yeah it moves properly. I also think it's just getting caught on something. I checked inside where the hook is supposed to go and everything looked fine. The hook just must be bent ever so slightly.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Pics look okay to me. Doors open, trunk open, pins over the plastic tabs on the windshield, then pull the front edge of the roof forward a bit to engage the pins in the holes. THEN move the lever. If I try to engage the lever/hasp on mine without gently pulling and engaging the pins, it doesn't reach the stop.

·
Super Moderator
11,278 Posts
With the hook completely unlatched, can you pull the roof further forward like the latch was all the way closed? If not, then something is stopping the roof from fully going forward. Like others have mentioned windows up doors closed is usually what causes this symptom. Tulip door failure and you wouldn't even get it this close to being closed.

·
Registered
17,486 Posts
With the hook completely unlatched, can you pull the roof further forward like the latch was all the way closed? If not, then something is stopping the roof from fully going forward. Like others have mentioned windows up doors closed is usually what causes this symptom. Tulip door failure and you wouldn't even get it this close to being closed.
As noted, if you can manually pull the top just slightly...then it is the hook causing the problem.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts