Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All...

I have been looking on and off for a sporty drop top for well over a year and for various reasons have not bought one yet. I ran across the Sky by accident several weeks ago. I have looked over the info on the Internet and this seems to be a car I would like!

I hope someone can help me with a few questions.

I am wondering how the top works. I see it's a manual top, which is a little disappointing, but that it has a glass read window with a defogger. When the top folds down, where does it go? Does it go into the trunk and use up all the trunk space?

How loud is it inside with the top up? I have a Jeep Wrangler and the noise is just horrific!

Regarding the auto transmission, it is listed as electronic. What does this mean? Is the transmission like a tiptronic, or is it a garden-variety auto transmission? I prefer manual transmissions but I have always wanted a tiptronic type transmission.

Finally, just how bad would this car be in a little snow? I live in Rhode Island, and we do get quite a bit here in the winter.

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
314 Posts
1) Look at the site for pics of very limited trunk space - top up not much, top down even less. As perverse as it sounds, there are those of us attracted to the car despite challenges of packing for trips. We've done a 3 day weekend for two top down with some room to spare. We travel light normally so not a huge difference for us.

2) Top 100% manual - again, look at other strings on this site for details. Neither the Solstice nor Sky will suit anyone expecting an automatic or simple one step top.

3) Auto transmission ordinary - works exceptionally well but nothing to play with so you'd probably stick with stick.

4) No matter how much those of us posting love our Skys, each potential buyer has to weigh their own needs/tolerances to decide if the Sky is a match.

Good luck!

·
Registered
314 Posts
PS Forgot the most important - 3" ground clearance under air dam so driving in any amount of snow will be a challenge. No room in wheel wells for chains either.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Thanks for the info! I'll check out the trunk size. My only concern there is being able to fit my Daughter's bag when I bring her to school. For family tripe we have my wife's car.

I don't want to go plowing through a foot of snow. My concern what what happens when I'm driving home from work and the snow starts to fall, or for those times the day after the storm when the plows have left a thin layer of snow. Is the sky a sled?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Depends on how big her duffle bag is. My sister and I just got back from 4 days in vegas, she took the smaller roller luggage and a small carry on. I had the small carry on too and all three fit in the trunk just fine. She was a weenie and didnt want the top down, but I did end up driving home alone hair blowing allllll the way baby......:lol:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
SkyHope said:
PS Forgot the most important - 3" ground clearance under air dam so driving in any amount of snow will be a challenge. No room in wheel wells for chains either.
Oh I think a nice woven gold chain would fit.... :jester:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
We fit two gym bag sized duffles with room to spare...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Trunk space

When I test drove my Baby, I was very disappointed with the amount of truck space. It actually gave me reason to think if I should go through with the deal. Obviously I did, and much to my surprise I am able to keep my golf clubs in the truck....even with the top down!!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Snow

You need to get a good old fashioned beater for the winter. This car should never see the snow. It's just not right and would be considered cruel and unusual punishment

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Phil said:
You need to get a good old fashioned beater for the winter. This car should never see the snow. It's just not right and would be considered cruel and unusual punishment
:agree: :agree: :agree:

Salt comes out -- Sunni goes in the garage...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, maybe I'll keep the Wrangler for the snow. But I HATE that thing!

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Noise

jarcher said:
Hi All...

I hope someone can help me with a few questions.

How loud is it inside with the top up? I have a Jeep Wrangler and the noise is just horrific!

Finally, just how bad would this car be in a little snow? I live in Rhode Island, and we do get quite a bit here in the winter.

Thanks very much!
During my test drive at 60 mph - top down - windows up - no add-on windscreen - there was barely any turbulence inside the car and having a conversation with the passenger was easier than a sedan with the windows down.

I haven;t order mine yet and still trying to decide if I should keep an old Civic for bad weather condistions - since I do not drive every day and the Sky would not be the only car in the family. I have driven a Fiero through a couple of North East Ohio winters (ground clearance on the Fiero was a bit more and the tires were not as wide as the Sky) - the only car I ever got stuck in the snow on the road was a front wheel drive Acura Legend - but thta was about 1.5 feet of snow that had not yet been plowed - tried to change lanes to get behind a 4wheel drive vehicle and got stuck on the 1.5 feet of snow between lanes. thankfully a couple of people stopped (on Interstate 271 at about 9 am on a Sunday) and helped me get unstuck.

·
Registered
262 Posts
jarcher said:
Thanks for the info! I'll check out the trunk size. My only concern there is being able to fit my Daughter's bag when I bring her to school. For family tripe we have my wife's car.

I don't want to go plowing through a foot of snow. My concern what what happens when I'm driving home from work and the snow starts to fall, or for those times the day after the storm when the plows have left a thin layer of snow. Is the sky a sled?
I can't imaging taking the car out in the winter. For me this is the toy car, not the daily driver. You better have something else to drive when the snow starts to fly. The low clearence with the air dam could be an issue.

I was showing my boss the car. He popped the trunk of his car (parked right next to mine) and said, "can you get these golf clubs in the trunk with the top down?" I stuffed his clubs in my trunk and then put the top down. He said, "Now I know what car I'm getting!"

·
Registered
323 Posts
agree - not a year-round driver

Coming from the "frozen tundra of Lambeau Field", Wisconsin (imagine Chris Berman's voice from Monday Night Football-ESPN, if you will), this will defintely be a summer only car. My AWD Scooby-Doo Outback will handle the dirty stuff since Wisconsin is always in contention to win the highest road salt consumption contest each winter.

You could dip pretzels on our roads - mmmm, salty!

With my ETA of December, my RL will be sleeping in my garage for 3-4 months before it is unleashed on the country roads of SE Wisconsin.

As for trunk space and road trips, I told my wife to pack lightly or she'll be holding her bag on her lap. (Same goes for the weak passenger side cup holder.)

As for tranny - I test drove a Sky auto and rather enjoyed the "hands free" experience. My dealer and I were on a freeway on-ramp that was light monitored and when it went green, I floored it. The 7.2 they state was very close, more like 7.5-8.0 for the auto. I'd say the auto RL will be closer to 6.0 seconds (unless you have good left foot timing on the brake pedal).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts