Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to test drive the Sky for half a day yesterday... my dealer allowed me to keep the Saturn's Rep red Sky for half a day before mine comes in in 2 weeks or so.... (suprised they did)
anyways.... my opinion of the car...
* no doubt... the exterior's beautiful..... no complaints...
* the inside.. i've learned to accept the cheap plastic inside
* the knob to move seats... so inconveniently placed
* seat to shift... feels comfortable

* speed really does sucks... i pressed on the gas sooo hard to get it up to 80miles... you can hear the engine reving so hard..... 2-3 yrs later... guarantee this car will be shaking and rattling like crazy
* the side view mirrors are a bit hard to see... those curves on the side does get in the way of ur view

my biggest concern.... with the top up... going at 60-80 mph.... i can hear really loud wind noise coming inside... specifically where the bottom of the ragtop meets the car.... anyone else have this problem? or is it just the car i drove?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
AnhCung said:
I was able to test drive the Sky for half a day yesterday... my dealer allowed me to keep the Saturn's Rep red Sky for half a day before mine comes in in 2 weeks or so.... (suprised they did)

* speed really does sucks... i pressed on the gas sooo hard to get it up to 80miles... you can hear the engine reving so hard..... 2-3 yrs later... guarantee this car will be shaking and rattling like crazy
* the side view mirrors are a bit hard to see... those curves on the side does get in the way of ur view

my biggest concern.... with the top up... going at 60-80 mph.... i can hear really loud wind noise coming inside... specifically where the bottom of the ragtop meets the car.... anyone else have this problem? or is it just the car i drove?
My car is surprisingly quiet when the top is up and any sound I hear wouldnt be considered "wind" related. Perhaps the top has been beat around a bit.

As for the acceleration and speed, if you are getting a manual transmission, when you really learn the gears and turn the shifts at the right time, the Sky can be pretty peppy. Sure its not a 340HP Porsche, but I dont think at 23k its pretending to be. I don't know why you had to press the gas "so hard"... or what even that means... if you work the car right it should get to 80MPH just fine (sounds like you were in 5th gear at 45 MPH). I think youll find its speed is much better as you get used to the clutch.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I started a thread about the windnoise, I too have more windnoise than I think it should, even for a 23k car. Many others reported the same, but I'm learning to deal with it. There are a few tricks you can use to get a tighter seal that seem to help but not eliminate the wind noise.

I bet in next years model, they will have done something to fix it.

about the power, I agree. I've had mine about a month now and have learned this car well enough to learn how to get the most out of those 177 horses but I'm still not satisfied. It bugs me that there are tons of "grocery getters" on the road that will smoke this very hot looking car that can't seem to back up its looks.

no big deal though, thats what aftermarket is for!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
AnhCung said:

I have jumped over to the Technical Sky Discussion forum and there seems to be a very common problem. The little dohickeys (don't let this technical term throw you off) that lock the top into the car right by the back of the windows are I guess breaking and not sealing the top down properly. This leaves a gap between the top and the window, which lets in lots of wind noise. I test drove one at our dealership and it had done the same thing. My dealer says their Saturn rep says it is caused by the top not being put up and down correctly. One person on the forum said they feel the part (aka dohickey) is failing because it is plastic and not metal. If you have access to the car again, I would go by and look at it with the top up to see if that is the cause. You might also want to check out that forum.

And there you have my two cents! :)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I don't know about wind noise with the top up because I hardly ever drive it that way. But I am continually amazed at how quiet the car is with the top down - particularly with a windscreen in the back and the side windows up. I swear the SKY is quieter with the top down than my Spitfire was with the top UP!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I drove my baby home for over 250 miles in the rain and The only noise was from the passing trucks and cars. Not even a drop of water to be found.

UNFORTUNATELY, I haven't driven it with the top UP since then, AND DON'T INTEND on doing it again!

But really, there was NO wind noise, it was very nice and tight.:cheers:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is there something wrong with my concern?
people that sells off their Sky's can't ask questions around here or something??

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wind Noise/

I have been taking the dealers Sky out on a semi-regular basis until mine gets here - mini test drives for about 30 minutes at a time.

With the top up I was actually surprised at how quiet it was. I've had nothing but ragtops for years and some you weren't even able to talk in the car it was so loud.

·
Super Moderator
11,548 Posts
Anhcung, I would tend to agree if you are selling yours what's the point? YOU'RE not going to be driving it and the person who is buying it needs to make the decision as to whether or not they want it regardless of these things. Not saying you can't post something like this just wondering why you would worry about it if you've already made up your mind you're going to sell it. It's like complaining about the quality of the food at a resturant you're never going to eat at.

As for your complaints, I don't hear much wind noise from mine. I mean, it's a convertable so I figure there is going to be some but really I've heard worse.

Power, yea, depending on what you're use to it's going to feel underpowered. Really though, it's not. It's got just enough to make it peppy. If I had been able to wait I would have most definately bought the Redline. 260 in that little sucker is going to be a blast. I may still have to trade mine in on one. Who knows.

As for you folks worrying about grocery getters beating your roadster, remember that we're talking two different classes of cars here. Your roadster will walk away from them if you get into the twisties (and you can really drive it). My Grand Prix would leave this little roadster in a huge pile of dust until it came time to turn. There is a nice little section of road by my work and one particular turn I can take at about 50 in the Grand Prix and feel I'm right on the edge. The Sky takes that corner at about 60 and teases me the whole time by acting like "Come on you big chicken...faster...I can take it no sweat!" It's just so SOLID.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Robotech said:
As for you folks worrying about grocery getters beating your roadster, remember that we're talking two different classes of cars here. Your roadster will walk away from them if you get into the twisties (and you can really drive it). My Grand Prix would leave this little roadster in a huge pile of dust until it came time to turn. There is a nice little section of road by my work and one particular turn I can take at about 50 in the Grand Prix and feel I'm right on the edge. The Sky takes that corner at about 60 and teases me the whole time by acting like "Come on you big chicken...faster...I can take it no sweat!" It's just so SOLID.
I totally agree about the twisties - a couple of weeks ago my buddy and I were taking the scenic route back from Boston (Red sox game), and when we got to Route 30 through Vermont we had a few different cars on our tail at different points. That road is full of S-turns and each one of those cars was left way behind in the curves. They kept trying to catch up with us in straightaways, and we weren't even going very fast. What a blast!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I totally agree!!

Robotech said:
Anhcung, I would tend to agree if you are selling yours what's the point? YOU'RE not going to be driving it and the person who is buying it needs to make the decision as to whether or not they want it regardless of these things. Not saying you can't post something like this just wondering why you would worry about it if you've already made up your mind you're going to sell it. It's like complaining about the quality of the food at a resturant you're never going to eat at.

As for your complaints, I don't hear much wind noise from mine. I mean, it's a convertable so I figure there is going to be some but really I've heard worse.

Power, yea, depending on what you're use to it's going to feel underpowered. Really though, it's not. It's got just enough to make it peppy. If I had been able to wait I would have most definately bought the Redline. 260 in that little sucker is going to be a blast. I may still have to trade mine in on one. Who knows.

This car with perhaps an aftermarket mod or two, will have a better performance curve than some straightline rocket on a track or mountain road. Stiffen the suspension possibly and a reflash, headers,exhaust
etc. and you get a car with a beefy mid throttle response and fierce cornering.... thats where you live in the curvy bits and thats where the fun driving is. :cool:

PS plus we will have our cars THIS summer and not next....I like attention!:thumbs:
PS 2 I'm not saying that a redline isnt a blast, its just with $1000-$2000 in mods vs. $3000 (by my calculation) for the redline plus earlier availability will give most of us a great car for most driving situations.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Selling point

rwood411 said:
Why the concern about wind noise? Youre selling yours when you get it anyway, arent you?
Perhaps the seller is concerned that potential buyers might either be put off by the problem or not want to pay as much - but if there is a way to fix it - or if it was a common feature/flaw on all Skys and nothing can be done - then the seller has an answer to the buyers concern.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts