Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get a few responses from some of those who have already received their Solstices or who have driven them for my question...

I've never had a convertable before, and seeing as the top isn't exactly welded to the rest of the body, I'm wondering if there's any wind noise that manages to slip past any crevaces between the roof and the body/windows? Also, how secure is the top? Any joe with a knife could easily get in (obviously) but how about otherwise?

The Sky will be my only ride once it rolls into town, so I'd like to have some insight on all of this.

·
Registered
250 Posts
That is an interesting questions as I plan on occasion to travel at highway speeds.. :) I drove the Chrysler Sebring and was happy with the interior noise levels.. granted different kind of car.. but you should definately expect for it to be a little more noisy.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Speaking of Top Up

How embarrassing that I have all of these pics (laminated, at that) all over my walls at work and my coworker asks me if I have a pic of the car with the top up and I cant find a single one. HELP???

·
Registered
111 Posts
MG Midget

My last roadster was a '69 MG Midget. If road noise is a concern, you won't be happy in a roadster. I figure most of my driving will be top down anyway as long as it's not hurricane season in S. FL. We can see the T-storms rolling in so it's a quick stop to put up the top.

Wonder if the police will mind a headset for listening to the radio? :lol:

·
Registered
623 Posts
mhw745 said:
My last roadster was a '69 MG Midget. If road noise is a concern, you won't be happy in a roadster. I figure most of my driving will be top down anyway as long as it's not hurricane season in S. FL. We can see the T-storms rolling in so it's a quick stop to put up the top.

I see people listening to ipods while driving, so I think it's fine.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
mhw745 said:
It is against the law in Tennessee to drive with headphones...but I wonder if that applies to the cell phones with the headsets I see so many people wearing...

·
Registered
242 Posts
top up pic

Angelqute1 said:
How embarrassing that I have all of these pics (laminated, at that) all over my walls at work and my coworker asks me if I have a pic of the car with the top up and I cant find a single one. HELP???
sent one to you! hope it's what you were looking for!:willy: :D

S. L.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well I have some good amount of seat time now in the Solstice and I must say it is quieter than my Mitsu Eclipse Spyder ever was. The wind noise was hardly noticed, just as if I was riding in a BMW convertible.

·
Registered
438 Posts
-Tj- said:
Also, how secure is the top? Any joe with a knife could easily get in (obviously) but how about otherwise?
I drove a jeep wrangler for 7 years (soft top) The first thing I said when I got it was "hey, where are the locks on this thing" He said most came without locks if you had a rag top, because if you lock the door they will just cut through the soft top. :willy:

I know thats not what you want to here, but basically dont leave stuff out on your seats...cell phones, cash, purse, wallet or anyting that will tempt someone from "cutting" in. :mad:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
Whenever Mother parks her Miata anywhere other than home or work, she leaves the doors unlocked and the alarm armed. Like me, she has no interest in ever having to live with a replacement roof.

·
Registered
242 Posts
reedred said:
Whenever Mother parks her Miata anywhere other than home or work, she leaves the doors unlocked and the alarm armed. Like me, she has no interest in ever having to live with a replacement roof.
iF SOMEONE WANTS IT, UNFORTUNATELY, THEY'RE GONNA TAKE IT. NO MATTER WHAT THE PRECAUTION!:banghead:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
sky_line said:
iF SOMEONE WANTS IT, UNFORTUNATELY, THEY'RE GONNA TAKE IT. NO MATTER WHAT THE PRECAUTION!:banghead:
I'd rather have it gone altogether than tainted, though. That's what insurance is for!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
sky_line said:
agreed......can always get another!!
in a few years......

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wiond Noise

Well, I am guessing I would have experienced wind noise today considering I had to drive home from work early due to Hurricane Katrina. My Ion was a little shaky driving on the FL turnpike. I will assume the Sky would handle that part of wind better having a lower profile.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ishot3bucks said:
I drove a jeep wrangler for 7 years (soft top) The first thing I said when I got it was "hey, where are the locks on this thing" He said most came without locks if you had a rag top, because if you lock the door they will just cut through the soft top. :willy:

I know thats not what you want to here, but basically dont leave stuff out on your seats...cell phones, cash, purse, wallet or anyting that will tempt someone from "cutting" in. :mad:

So that's why I see convertables and jeeps like exposed mardi gras breast at the malls!!

·
Registered
623 Posts
DrJDup said:
So that's why I see convertables and jeeps like exposed mardi gras breast at the malls!!
Yep, if it's not going to rain, why bother with the top. It's not like it is a theft detterant.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts