Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if someone could make sense of the torque sensing limited slip differential option.
I don't really know what the slip differential does.
Can someone clarify the need or necessity of this option. Thanks

:confused: JFig

·
Registered
623 Posts
A limited slip diff keeps one tire from spinning while the other remains motionless by tying each end of the axle together. It's called a limited slip becasue one tire can spin faster/slower then the other, but ony to a point. It's a lot better for traction than when you have completly independent rear axle.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Just to add to the previous very acurate description, you gain the most from limited slip traction through a turn. A non-locking differential (most) will allow the inside wheel to spin as weight is being transferred onto the outside wheels. When you have a limited slip differential you get power shifted away for the inside wheel and more power on the wheel with traction (outside). This gives the car better control and speed through a turn making it a lot more fun to drive!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
This option will also be a good idea for those of us dumb enough to drive our cars in the snow, right? I have this... uh... friend who plans to drive a Sky year-round in NY...

·
Registered
623 Posts
reedred said:
This option will also be a good idea for those of us dumb enough to drive our cars in the snow, right? I have this... uh... friend who plans to drive a Sky year-round in NY...
It's good if you want to handle turns better, drive in the snow, or drag race.

Of course if you are really into drag racing (and you don't drive the car in the winter) you'd get a locking diff.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
reedred said:
Driving your Sky in the Winter? NO Soup (oops I mean Sky) for you! My wife isn't going to be happy when I tell her we aren't going to be driving it in the winter. Winters are hard up here and the salt just eats through a car.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
rick112 said:
Driving your Sky in the Winter? NO Soup (oops I mean Sky) for you! My wife isn't going to be happy when I tell her we aren't going to be driving it in the winter. Winters are hard up here and the salt just eats through a car.
Winter driving is ok, but no snow driving... we usually only get one or two road covering snows a year so winter driving here in east tennessee is not too bad...

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
rick112 said:
My plan is to drive it year-round, which would invole the occasional unforseen snowstorm or anything up to about an inch or two. Anything really big I should hear about in time to call Enterprise and pick up a rental. Everything is usually cleaned up the same day except for my road, which always ends up with a layer of packed down snow and ice that stays around for aboiut 2 months or so. As for the salt, I really don't see too many rusted out cars around here and will probably trade the car in for a new one before any major corrosion can happen anyway.

·
Registered
304 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
It's good if you want to handle turns better, drive in the snow, or drag race.

Of course if you are really into drag racing (and you don't drive the car in the winter) you'd get a locking diff.
Or if on a budget you would weld up the diff to create a ridgid axle. (Think chaindrive gocart)

What you won't notice (as I did not feel it nor have I seen it written) is scrubbing of the tires during sharp turns on dry pavement as did Posi on a solid rear axle from 1978,

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
doberman said:
Is the limited slip differential option only good for stick shifts?
Nope!!! It is a great option to have regardless what your tranny choice is but you will notice it working a lot more on the manuals. :eek:

Regards,

:willy: S.D. :willy:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Sky Dealer said:
Nope!!! It is a great option to have regardless what your tranny choice is but you will notice it working a lot more on the manuals. :eek:

Regards,

:willy: S.D. :willy:
Yeah, you'll notice it more on the manuals because it clunks. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts