Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
You just buy the whole sender - they aren't too expensive, under $30 each IIRC and that was here in Canada so they probably just about give them away down there....:D

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I guess we must have some really stiff sidewalls. I thought at that low of pressure you'd start rolling the sidewalls over in agressive cornering. I know my Corvette recommends 33-36psi in the tires.

Ok, I guess we should get back on the subject of installing the TPMS. :thumbs:
The GS2's have a carbon fiber reinforced side walls. They also have the "curb protection" that makes the sidewalls quite stiff.

I have never noticed any roll over when I had the GS2's

I wonder if the vette's have the higher psi because the car is heavier and can take more G force on the wider tire?

·
Registered
305 Posts
So, back to the original question.

I have a 2007 Base Sky.

My instrument panel has provision for TPMS as shown.

This is an aftermarket face from BlackCatCustom. Note the TPMS symbol in the lower-left corner.

The bottom OEM face has the symbol as well.

The circuit board has the supporting LED, so the instrument panel itself is TPMS-ready.

I changed my wheels and tires for ones in better condition. Because they came off a later Sky, by chance I have TPMS sensors on all my wheels.

By another chance, I am taking my Sky to a mechanic to add an over-looked RPO code into my body control module (BCM) to address a power door lock and security system problem.

I wonder if my mechanic could also add the RPO code or codes for TPMS, and it would magically work.

My question is....
What are the RPO codes for the 2008 TPMS?

·
Registered
884 Posts
do not under ANY circumstances use the valve caps that measure the pressure. THEY LEAK and in a week you will start seeing low pressures on one or more of your tires.

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
My question is....
What are the RPO codes for the 2008 TPMS?
I have not seen any indication of RPO codes being associated with TPMS, and there are no RPO codes for my '08 that look likely to fit.
TPMS was not offered until 2008 when it was required by law, and therefore wasn't optional, so an RPO code probably wouldn't exist. eg: There is no RPO code for headlights.

It might be possible to re-flash the RCDLR with the TPMS-enabled program applicable to the 2008s, but then you would probably also have to re-flash the BCM with a 2008 program that may or may not be compatible with the rest of the car. If you try it and it works, please let us know as i wouldn't mind having it on the '07.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have not seen any indication of RPO codes being associated with TPMS, and there are no RPO codes for my '08 that look likely to fit.
TPMS was not offered until 2008 when it was required by law, and therefore wasn't optional, so an RPO code probably wouldn't exist. eg: There is no RPO code for headlights.

It might be possible to re-flash the RCDLR with the TPMS-enabled program applicable to the 2008s, but then you would probably also have to re-flash the BCM with a 2008 program that may or may not be compatible with the rest of the car. If you try it and it works, please let us know as i wouldn't mind having it on the '07.
That is good information to understand.

I will ask my mechanic if he can "experiment" in loading 2008 TPMS supporting software. He runs a very busy shop such that I have to drop off the car. It's not an "as I wait" service. Hopefully he will be able to give it a try. It would be exceptional to have TPMS due to the lack of a spare tire.

I will let post here what I learn (if anything).

·
Registered
884 Posts
The TPS, when it works, which is a rarity for me, is iffy at best. It wont help you manage your tires. Just eyeball them when you get in.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I know on the Solstice that the RCDLR module changed at some point 2006-2007. The original was not on the GMLAN, while the newer version is. My suspicion is that was when the TPMS function was added to the RCDLR, which would imply that it's NOT easy to add the TPMS function to the older cars.

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
........ It would be exceptional to have TPMS due to the lack of a spare tire.
Tire gauge, plug kit, inflator, and cell phone. Used in that order.

The TPS, when it works, which is a rarity for me, is iffy at best. It wont help you manage your tires. Just eyeball them when you get in.
Mine has been completely reliable, for which i am grateful.
Low profile radials can be well under the desirable pressure without it being visually obvious, so eyeballing them is not particularly reliable, in my opinion.

I know on the Solstice that the RCDLR module changed at some point 2006-2007. The original was not on the GMLAN, while the newer version is. My suspicion is that was when the TPMS function was added to the RCDLR, which would imply that it's NOT easy to add the TPMS function to the older cars.
Are you certain that the older RCDLR is not on the LAN? Fob setup requires accessing it through the diagnostic port using the Tech2. For that to be possible it has to be on the LAN, unless there is an alternate means of communication.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Glad that the '07 SKY doesn't have the annoying TPMS installed. When changing out sets of tires/wheels (most of which don't have sensors) there's no dealing with the onboard receiver getting bent out of shape looking for signals and then lighting up some dashboard dummylight that won't go away.

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
I love Google (the search engine, not the company):

Part number for the 2007 RCDLR: 15912630 Described as "Keyless Entry Receiver"
Part number for the 2008 RCDLR: 25874373 Described as "Tire Pressure Monitoring Receiver"

Draw your own conclusions.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Are you certain that the older RCDLR is not on the LAN? Fob setup requires accessing it through the diagnostic port using the Tech2. For that to be possible it has to be on the LAN, unless there is an alternate means of communication.
Yup.

Part number for the 2008 RCDLR: 25874373 Described as "Tire Pressure Monitoring Receiver"

Yup.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I love Google (the search engine, not the company):

Are you implying it "might" be possible to add TPMS if I replace receivers?
I did not find 25874373. I found 25974373. Please verify the 8 should be a 9.
25974373 costs around $45, might be worth buying and trying.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I can't imagine you would be able to plug-and-play the receiver. If it is possible, you'll almost certainly need to "add" it using the Tech2, though the software might prevent you from adding it to a 2007. If you have a Tech2, it's worth a try.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I can't imagine you would be able to plug-and-play the receiver. If it is possible, you'll almost certainly need to "add" it using the Tech2, though the software might prevent you from adding it to a 2007. If you have a Tech2, it's worth a try.
Yes, I am taking my Sky to a mechanic to address other Tech2 issues with my power door locks, thinking it's a good opportunity to include TPMS.

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
Are you implying it "might" be possible to add TPMS if I replace receivers?
I did not find 25874373. I found 25974373. Please verify the 8 should be a 9.
25974373 costs around $45, might be worth buying and trying.
I'm not implying anything of the kind. I was simply indicating that the '07 RCDLR probably can't be reprogrammed for TPMS.
As far as the part number discrepancy, it could be my typo, so go with what you found if you decide to try it.
The problem may be with the BCM if you have to flash it with an '08 program to get it to recognize TPMS the RCDLR since there is no way to know what else in the car might be incompatible.
If it does require a re-flash you should first confirm that the '07 and '08 use the same BCM, since a different model may cause problems with the program.
I don't even know how to begin confirming that all of the vehicle functions work correctly, without actually testing everything that the BCM does.

It might be really simple, but it also might cascade into any numer of other incompatiilities. There is also the possibility, remote as it may be, that the flash can fail and brick the module.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Interesting possibilities.

I bought that 2008 receiver, used on eBay for $12.50 plus shipping etc for a total of just over $20.

I looked up BCM modules for a 2007 and a 2008 (Sky base). They both take the same, part number 20939593.
But for 2007, there is a second one listed as well which is part number 25910845.

So I just went into the garage to discover my BCM is the second one 25910845. :(
Yet the GM parts website states part number 20939593 fits my VIN. :)

My friend suggests I bring the car in after June 1st when he is fully staffed (nobody on vacation then). I will bring that second receiver and give him the run-down. He may just go the safe route and make the car work per spec to assure nothing goes wrong while in his care. But if he is confident otherwise, he will have the other receiver to try out.

BTW: The other 2008 receiver for TPMS has the same 3 wires and connector as the one in my Sky. So that is another plus. The two receivers are physically interchangeable.

·
Registered
949 Posts
You might also need to reprogram or even replace the cluster to get the readouts on there for the tire pressures...

·
Super Moderator
5,519 Posts
You might also need to reprogram or even replace the cluster to get the readouts on there for the tire pressures...
The reprogramming information for each module in the service manual specifically states that the IP cluster does not require any reprogramming. It seems to function purely as a display that doesn't care what data it is given, so that part at least should be OK.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts