Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been a frustrating one for me gents. I'm tracking down what I believe to be two separate oil leaks, but I can't be sure anymore.

I'm including pictures. I'm fairly certain it isn't the head gasket (replaced 1,000 miles ago). My best guess at this time is front cover (forgot to use thread locker on bolts) and the connector on the catch can (the metal connector may have been mangled). I've been running the catch can for about 1,000 miles. It has nothing in it. Quite literally bone dry. Almost all of the oil leakage appears to come from that area. Here are some pictures to show you what I'm looking at. All thoughts are welcome.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Auto part Automotive exterior

·
Registered
790 Posts
This has been a frustrating one for me gents. I'm tracking down what I believe to be two separate oil leaks, but I can't be sure anymore.

I'm including pictures. I'm fairly certain it isn't the head gasket (replaced 1,000 miles ago). My best guess at this time is front cover (forgot to use thread locker on bolts) and the connector on the catch can (the metal connector may have been mangled). I've been running the catch can for about 1,000 miles. It has nothing in it. Quite literally bone dry. Almost all of the oil leakage appears to come from that area. Here are some pictures to show you what I'm looking at. All thoughts are welcome.

View attachment 117841

View attachment 117842

View attachment 117843
Amazon has an additive for oil leak detection called AutoPro that costs about $8.00. Put it in with the oil, run engine/road test, then use a UV light….. a leak will show up as green/yellow. An easy an inexpensive way to find the source of a leak.
Home appliance Font Screenshot Material property Electronic device

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Amazon has an additive for oil leak detection called AutoPro that costs about $8.00. Put it in with the oil, run engine/road test, then use a UV light….. a leak will show up as green/yellow. An easy an inexpensive way to find the source of a leak.
That sounds pretty good.
I took out all of the front cover bolts, and applied thread locker.
Also cleaned up all of the corroded material (so much of it was on the power steering pump... I hope it's not going bad).

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Part of this whole thing is replacing the O-rings on my oil cooler. I think some coolant and oil has been mixing in addition to the slow oil leak coming from the back of the engine.

This oil is about 1,000 miles into a new head and head gasket. I think it was time to change it anyway.

Automotive lighting Peripheral Input device Audio equipment Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Camera lens Gas

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I replaced the power steering pump. Turns out one of the O-rings disintegrated... Good thing I replaced it for the heck of it.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Hood Automotive design

I replaced the oil cooler O-rings. That was one of the worst things I've ever had to do with this car. One bolt made me want to completely remove the engine. Excuse my French, but **** that bolt.

Despite being drained of oil for a month, it is still slowly dipping oil down the engine/transmission seam. I'm confident it's the rear main seal now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts