Saturn Sky Forum banner

Traction Control?

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  mynewsolstice 
#1 ·
Alright,

I'm going nuts. I know that the Redline will have Electronic Stability Control, but Motortrend keeps saying that TRACTION control will also be standard. However, no other source confirms this specification. Beings I'm from Minnesota, this would be a welcome addition.....if I can turn it off when not necessary. Does anybody know if the Redline will have TRACTION control in addition to STABILITY control? Or is Motor Trend simply confused?

Thanks.

#2 ·
I thought the two (traction and stability) were different, also...but in another thread I was told they are the same. :confused: Can anyone confirm if traction control is the same thing as stability control?

#3 ·
The difference...

nscrbug said:
I thought the two (traction and stability) were different, also...but in another thread I was told they are the same. :confused: Can anyone confirm if traction control is the same thing as stability control?
They are related, and often control by the same ECU. Traction control will keep a (or both) wheels from spinning by reducing power (air/spark retard) and/or applying a brake to the spinning wheel. Stability control looks for wheels that are spinning, but also looks for yaw (vehicle x/y accelleration changes) and steering wheel position. Then it will apply brakes to one or more wheels to keep the vehicle pointed in the desired direction.

I remember saying a few years ago that stability control could save as many lives as air bags (OK, probably a stretch), but just a month ago I read that comment in a news piece. It's amazing to play with on slippery roads, and have it 'right' the vehicle.

On a track, most people would turn it off, but there are some systems that can be turned to a track mode when it will give you some amount of slide, but then save you if things go way bad.

#4 ·
Spot on analysis, but do you know if the Redline will have BOTH? I need Traction control to take off at an intersection with a few inches of snow without doing the typical rear-wheel-drive "dance" all the way down the street. I've driven a rear-wheel-drive 3 series (w/ Traction Control) in one of the worst snow storms, and I had no trouble with traction. I can't imagine driving a Sky even in a few inches of snow without it. I'm sure the Limited Slip Differential will help, but not much.

P.S. I can't afford to buy two vehicles.

#5 ·
The SKY RedLine will have Stabilitrak, more info HERE

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

#8 ·
Cornhusker said:
Thanks....

BUT WILL THE SKY HAVE BOTH!!!!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
The Sky Redline, Solstice GXP, and Opel GT will have ESC (StabiliTrack) which is one system that has both. At this time the base model cars will NOT have ESC.

#9 ·
Look for this option to be added to the 2008 Model year standard Sky. Since the car is being compared to the MX-5 so often the GM testing engineers are trying out 6-speed transmissions at this time. Look for minor improvements over the next couple model years; like dual outlet exhaust option for both models.

#10 ·
Delnari said:
Look for this option to be added to the 2008 Model year standard Sky. Since the car is being compared to the MX-5 so often the GM testing engineers are trying out 6-speed transmissions at this time. Look for minor improvements over the next couple model years; like dual outlet exhaust option for both models.
I haven't heard anything about current 6-speed testing yet. Future maybe, nothing about current testing.

#11 ·
Look for spy shots from Milford and other proving grounds this summer. A boost in output to 200 hp to keep up with the class competition is expected in the 2008 model as well.

Side note, Mazda will release a Mazda Speed version of the MX-5 in mid to late 2007 with expected hp in the 240 range! More than enough horsepower to compete with the heavier GXP and Redline. Stay tune, as this is heating up.

#12 ·
Delnari said:
Look for spy shots from Milford and other proving grounds this summer. A boost in output to 200 hp to keep up with the class competition is expected in the 2008 model as well.

Side note, Mazda will release a Mazda Speed version of the MX-5 in mid to late 2007 with expected hp in the 240 range! More than enough horsepower to compete with the heavier GXP and Redline. Stay tune, as this is heating up.
There are a couple of cars, or so I'm told, that have a six speed cobbled in, but right now it's not in the cards for mainstream. Who knows what changes may be in store.

Personally, I think it's (6-speed) a "this one goes to 11" thing, and causes you to stir the gearbox more often. Each shift is a chance for a mistake, and with a torque band starting at 2200 rpms all the way to near 6000 rpm, you don't need so many gears...

I doubt that GM is all that worried about being compared to Mazda any more. The cars are what they are.

There is a hierarchy of chassis controls in any car - they go like this:

-Nothing
-ABS
-Engine Torque Managed Traction Control (may be coupled with automatic trans upshifts)
-Full capability traction control, which includes the application of brakes to control wheel slip
-Full "active handling" which controls yaw and sideslip relative to driver desires using both engine torque management and brake application.

There's also electronic differentials, I forget the trade name, that can apply cross-torque to varying degrees electronically. Think of it as a VERY controllable differential. Path-vectoring, or torque vectoring is what this technique of control is called.

If you have full active handling, (stabilitrak/esc/esp/whatever other name it's called) you automatically get traction control.

IIRC, the 2007 SKY will not have either traction control nor active handling The SKY redline will have ESC (which includes traction control). I believe you can disengage the traction control, and you have the option of turning off everything except ABS.

#13 ·
Delnari said:
...Side note, Mazda will release a Mazda Speed version of the MX-5 in mid to late 2007 with expected hp in the 240 range! More than enough horsepower to compete with the heavier GXP and Redline. Stay tune, as this is heating up.
I'm a bit skeptical of this - but time will tell. They (Mazda) seem to be interested in protecting the RX-8, or so it seems from conversations I've had over the years with guys there.

So, to ensure the proper "hierarchy" they would need a 300+hp version of the RX-8 with 'Vette-stomping specs. Kinda like the old rumored "V8 fiero didn't happen because it would have walked over the Corvette" thinking.

#15 ·
The only option on the base models I believe is LSD (Limited Slip)....This allows wheels to sping at different rates to sure a car up....I didn't get it due to I like to be un-sure so to speak :):)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.