Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
I did not trade, but heard some dealers are requiring a trade so they can low ball your trade to make some profit. In my opinion, take your trade elsewhere. You will get a very low bid for it when buying your sky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
I never trade. My last three vehicles went private sale. I usually advertise locally and on Ebay. Two out of three went through Ebay. You will do much better this way.
:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Luke Sky Watcher said:
I never trade. My last three vehicles went private sale. I usually advertise locally and on Ebay. Two out of three went through Ebay. You will do much better this way.
:cheers:
What if it is you only car? What did you drive till you got your new car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
I have also heard dealers requiring customers to finance with them, rather than paying cash or using a credit union or another outside source. Since they can't mark up the car over MSRP, they are trying to squeeze profit in other areas. Backend products are another...warranty, gap, oil changes, etc.

Just be an educated consumer and know what you are doing before you sign on the dotted line. Don't let your head go in the clouds with the Sky (pardon the pun) and do the right thing! You may wake up the next day realizing you were ripped off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
I always had another car. Every car I sold was to make room. I guess if I only had one I would play it both ways; try and sell on my own and if it doesn't sell, sell it later. If it sells early for "your" price have a plan ready. You will still come out ahead. :thumbs:
I never heard of a dealer requiring a trade in. :confused: Yes they will low ball you on a trade when buying ANY vehicle.
Can anybody confirm dealers requiring trades?
:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
Trading in my 03 Vue. Hate to get rid of her, but already making 2 car payments & 2 motorcycle payments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
It does not hurt to work out a trade. I traded in an old beat up Toyota Tercel that had gotten hit 3 times so was not a happy camper any more when I got my WRX and got Blue Book excellent condition pricing on my trade in. I also got the WRX for Invoice when everyone else was charging over MSRP for it. So it takes a bit of phone shopping and research before hand.

edmunds.com is a good place to research cars.

We also got an excellent trade-in on my wife's Mini when she got a Lexus IS350.

Motorcycles I have always done private sale, since trade-in is always terrible. My Porsche Cayenne was also private sale since Porsche dealers don't want to even touch those hunks of junk even though I was buying a $100,000 911 from them.

Doesn't hurt to ask, you may get lucky since used cars are a higher profit for dealers than new, BUT, with the Sky I doubt they will give you a good trade because they know you are not going to walk away from the deal over a trade. But ask anyway.

Good places for private sales are Craigslist and Autotrader. I have had better luck with them than Ebay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
Chili Pepper Girl said:
Did you give up your Vue at the image or when you had the keys in hand?
Car will be here in a couple of days, I'm driving the Vue untill it comes in, but already got it appraised and did paperwork on the Sky on Thursday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Maybe I got lucky. My dealer didn't try to push anything, and before I went in, I looked up my trade value on kelly Blue Book and NADA.com, and they offered me what it was worth, which to me was a good deal (they came in between the trade in value and the private sale value). I also had my financing in place before I went in. The whole process of trading my car and buying this SKY took less than an hour and was the easiest car buying experience of my life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
Chili Pepper Girl said:
What if it is you only car? What did you drive till you got your new car?
Yes, you keep the current car you have untill your Sky comes in..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,045 Posts
The Best Way to Finance a Car

use your credit card company...they r giving away the money at almost 0%. After 12 months when the terms expire, transfer the balance to your other credit card for 0%....not bad for financing any vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
I don't think that looks very good on your credit record. I put my motorcycles on credit cards but them I pay them off when the monthly bill comes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rocky777 said:
Maybe I got lucky. My dealer didn't try to push anything, and before I went in, I looked up my trade value on kelly Blue Book and NADA.com, and they offered me what it was worth, which to me was a good deal (they came in between the trade in value and the private sale value). I also had my financing in place before I went in. The whole process of trading my car and buying this SKY took less than an hour and was the easiest car buying experience of my life.
Thank you so much for the great info!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Stu's Sky said:
I did not trade, but heard some dealers are requiring a trade so they can low ball your trade to make some profit. In my opinion, take your trade elsewhere. You will get a very low bid for it when buying your sky.

When I hear these comments I am once again glad that I am dealing with Saturn of Santa Rosa, CA. We discussed trade in early on and he said I would do better to sell it privatley. Also, the sunroof motor is broken and he said that if I traded it in, I should not have it fixed first as it would be cheaper for them to do it at their cost. I finally decided to keep that car, anyway. As for dealing with the financing, I had gotten a blank check loan from my credit card company. When I told my GM the rate he said he'd shop around for me to get a better rate. AND HE DID!!:lol:
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
1,287 Posts
Me Too

MOMDRAE said:
As for dealing with the financing, I had gotten a blank check loan from my credit card company. When I told my GM the rate he said he'd shop around for me to get a better rate. AND HE DID!!:lol:
That is the way that I have gone as well. I am only concerned with the check expiering before my Sky gets here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
Stu's Sky said:
I did not trade, but heard some dealers are requiring a trade so they can low ball your trade to make some profit. In my opinion, take your trade elsewhere. You will get a very low bid for it when buying your sky.
Not sure where you heard that, but my dealer is giving me a little above kbb value for my Vue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
Seagull said:
That is the way that I have gone as well. I am only concerned with the check expiering before my Sky gets here.
I also got a pre-approval. They told me it would be good for 30 days. I believe that goes for anyone. Good luck on getting your baby soon. :cheers:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
830 Posts
I traded in a 2003 Outlander, two months ago, the dealer was very fair, and took the car before my sky is even here, so I have gone two months saveing the payments and ins. on the old car...They sold the outlander in three weeks I will also not have to pay the tax on the amount the trade was worth when the Sky gets here...Seal9:lol:
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top