Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to thank everyone for all of the knowledge and support during the whole order process of the sky. In the end, I decided the car was not for me. I traded my SKY in for an Avalanche during the 0% financing event over the holiday weekend. I had 2800 miles on her and was able to get MSRP back on trade allowance. I made the deal on the Aval. before discussing the SKY, so I know that they really wanted my car to give me the MSRP with 2800 mi. on her. The sales manager wanted it to drive for a while and then sell. I feel very fortunate to have made a mistake and lost so little. I enjoyed the car but was unhappy with all of the "little things" that were going on with her. Some of them like the "clunking tranny" were really getting on my nerves. I was told that this was normal. I just don't see paying that kind of money and then getting surprises that are not fixable.
In it's defense, this is not a car meant for work commute and I was depending on it every day. I still believe there is no car as beautiful as the SKY and every time I see one, it will hurt.
Well anyway, my experience proves that there may be an "out" for anyone that made the same mistake I did.
Thanks again to everyone, especially Rick for answering all of my "dumb questions".
Take care and enjoy the ride!

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Glad to hear you're happy with your decision. :thumbs:

I'm only going to dispute one thing you mentioned though because I don't want people looking to buy a Sky/Solstice and be deterred by it.
SKY SCRPR said:
In it's defense, this is not a car meant for work commute and I was depending on it every day.
My Solstice is my daily driver, I drive it to work every single day and I have the near 12k miles to prove it. I don't think any of the little issues with the car even hold up compared to the joy driving this car gives me. Thinks like the clunk can be gotten rid of with driving habit changes too. For example I can cause the clunk to happen at will and can prevent it from happening too with driving style.

What issues in particular besides the clunk prevented you from wanting to keep your Sky as a daily driver so that others looking to buy the car can have a better knowledge if this car is for them or not?

·
Registered
185 Posts
With all due respect to SKY SKRPR, I think a convertible sports car was simply the wrong type of vehicle for him. You don't trade in a 2800 lb convertible sports car on a 5400 lb 4WD SUV with 4 doors and a truck bed just because of a clunk.

SKY SKRPR, it sounds like the Avalanche is just your kind of truck. My brother absolutely LOVES his Avalanche, way way way better than his old Ford F150. His only complaint is the handling. But I tried to tell him that a 5400 lb Avalanche was not going to handle even as well as my 4500 short wheel base lb Silverado. Oh well.

Enjoy it. They are smooth, powerful, versatile and well built. I'm not a truck guy and I just can't wait to get back into a good handling car. If you are a truck guy and yo don't care too much how well your vehicle handles, then it would be hard to find something more practical and versatile and comfortable than a Tahoe or an Avalanche. Except for fuel costs.

Enjoy your new rig. It is a good one.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with. :thumbs:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
brentil said:
Glad to hear you're happy with your decision. :thumbs:

I'm only going to dispute one thing you mentioned though because I don't want people looking to buy a Sky/Solstice and be deterred by it.

My Solstice is my daily driver, I drive it to work every single day and I have the near 12k miles to prove it. I don't think any of the little issues with the car even hold up compared to the joy driving this car gives me. Thinks like the clunk can be gotten rid of with driving habit changes too. For example I can cause the clunk to happen at will and can prevent it from happening too with driving style.

What issues in particular besides the clunk prevented you from wanting to keep your Sky as a daily driver so that others looking to buy the car can have a better knowledge if this car is for them or not?
It was mainly due to my being used to driving an Avalanche with it's comfort, room and ride. In the sky, I was uncomfortable because of the lack of seat adj., had no legroom compared to the truck and the ride is rough compared to what I had. I should have known not to look for these things with the SKY as it wasn't meant to provide those things in comparison.
The quality of the parts/interior and the little things that were happening to mine were a great example of why my dad told me not to buy a car in it's introductory year. I have no doubt that the 2009 SKY will have the quality needed to live up to the look of this year's edition. All of the kinks will be out by then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts