Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I bought one for my 2007 Sky from AutoZone online and had it shipped to my house. That was about 6 months ago. It was quite affordable. I tried to find it tonight on their website, but I had no luck. I wonder if I bought the last one.

I just installed it last week. On my base 2.4L with single exhaust pipe, it was extremely easy to do with the rear suspension resting on jack stands.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I also checked. Out of stock. Seems to be out of stock everywhere.
There was another thread about this recently - maybe on the Solstice forum. Yes they seem to be unobtainium for the moment. Pretty sure it's just a manufacturing issue and they'll come back. Perhaps you could call Curt/Draw-hitch customer service and ask?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Yes, I have the Curt hitch on my 2007 NA SKY. It was very easy to do and no drilling of any kind was required. The time estimate to self-install is about right with a couple of wrenches and socket. Just jack up the rear for a little more elbow room.

I did the process of first put the Curt hitch on for a trailer and then the hand-me-down RL exhaust conversion added some later. Curt did say the hitch would not work on the RL, which was kinda of true at first. But then I realized if I took the hitch back down somewhat, putting the exhast on first with the hitch back on second, with a little buffering all would be fine and NO pipe rattles.

And the best part about the Curt hitch is you just can't hardly see it without pointing it out to people. Otherwise they will never likely even notice it is there. (y)(y)

I've heard the Curt hitch is hard to find, which makes me wonder if eBay might be the place (if the Hitchsource mention above is out of stock) to look using the Curt manufacturing part number for the NA model hitch.
Manufacturer: Curt Manufacturing
Part Number: 11114
Rating: Class I
Receiver Size: 1.25"

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a Draw-Tite still in the box. My sky was totaled prior to installation. Will be able to post some pics by the weekend. have a complete top (black) and some other parts that were taken prior to car getting hauled off.

CodeProductQuantityTotal
24833Draw-Tite Sportframe Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4"

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Hi Eric,

I recently installed a hitch bought from AutoZone early this year, but it is different from your picture. The mounting bolts insert from the bottom-up, not from the sides.

My 2007 Sky has factory holes in the frame to accommodate my hitch, but from what I can tell (the hitch prevents a clear view) there are no side holes to accommodate your hitch.

Here is my hitch. Once installed, the only thing you see is the low-hanging receiver in the center, not the length of the bar. I think having the hitch increases rear-end crash penetration. I assume it also stiffens the frame, sort-of like the DDM rear brace does. Likely not as well, but some improvement is better than no improvement.
Automotive tire Rectangle Wood Bumper Wall

Here is yours for comparison. Not only does it mount from the sides that I think will require drilling, but based on the attachment point of the receiver, the entire length of the bar will be in-view.
Bumper Wood Gas Font Automotive exterior

Are you certain this is for a Sky?

·
Administrator
8,700 Posts
... I think having the hitch increases rear-end crash penetration. I assume it also stiffens the frame, sort-of like the DDM rear brace does. Likely not as well, but some improvement is better than no improvement. .....
The DDM brace (ProBeam) attaches to and stiffens the lower suspension pickups, not the frame, so there is no similarity. The trailer hitch is really only going to function as a trailer hitch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts