Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the service manager of West Palm Beach Saturn called me and said the replacement trany had arrived it should be changed out in a couple of days. I should be back to the States next Tuesday and I will be going from the dock to the dealer as quick as I can. :D
The only thing I didn't like was the comment about my car being the "practice car" since they have never done a rear wheel drive trany.:confused:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Oh lord have mercy. You know that would be like being on the operating table having a doc guffaw in your face right before you go under, "Hey, this will be my first time at brain surgery too!" Hope it goes well. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Unless this car is some strange moon car RWD trannies are cake compared to most FWD trannies. Then again the dealer guys probably pull the engine to take out the tranny most of the time...

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Come on guys the mechanics have books to read. If not books than e-books. Either way, Saturn warrents their work and it is really quite simple to snatch out one tranny and stick another one in. I used to do it with my eyes closed just for fun. Of course if you ran into a problem you did read the book. These mechanics have to pass a reading test to be qualified on anything automotive. So no worry be happy.......Skip....Did I put red or green fluid in that tranny? Got cha.......:cheers: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got the call..........

The service manager just called and said the "operation" took 4 1/2 hrs and they were going to do a full detail on the car and she is ready to go!:thumbs:

The guests depart from the boat at 2:00PM tomorrow and my crew has agreed to run nonstop back to the States.

I can't wait to drive my beautiful GREEN DRIVING MACHINE!!!:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
4 1/2... that seems way too long. Must have been a rookie :) . The sky transmission took me just a little over an hour my first time, but hey whats done is done i guess. hope all works out well. oh make sure they put on the new vent hose

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Skip said:
Come on guys the mechanics have books to read. If not books than e-books. Either way, Saturn warrents their work and it is really quite simple to snatch out one tranny and stick another one in. I used to do it with my eyes closed just for fun. Of course if you ran into a problem you did read the book. These mechanics have to pass a reading test to be qualified on anything automotive. So no worry be happy.......Skip....Did I put red or green fluid in that tranny? Got cha.......:cheers: :cheers:
Would you dare suggest that menfolk READ directions? Just kidding, SKYTECHS out there. I am sure it is fine, but still bad bedside manner to say, (hiccup) "Uh...my first transmission (giggle)" don't ya think? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
That's a long time to replace a tranny. I wonder if they all gathered around and had class, of sorts, while the job was being done. :confused:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
No Four and a half hours is the time on the service books to pay the mechanic time for remove and replace the tranny. When I was wrenchin that was about standard time to remove and replace transmissions. Of course if you do it often enough then get it to a fine science it might take one about 2 hours. But you still get paid for 4 hours R & R. That is where the mechanic makes his money by being fast and accurate. ....Skip....why he got out of mechanicican.....:cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Sky transmission, grinds in second and third gear, twice I could not get it into reverse. The dealer said I need a new transmission am now told there is no replacement transmission. I asked the dealer to buy the car back. Still waiting for an answer.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Would you dare suggest that menfolk READ directions? Just kidding, SKYTECHS out there. I am sure it is fine, but still bad bedside manner to say, (hiccup) "Uh...my first transmission (giggle)" don't ya think? :lol: :lol:
We read the directions, but only as a last resort!:D

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
My Sky transmission, grinds in second and third gear, twice I could not get it into reverse. The dealer said I need a new transmission am now told there is no replacement transmission. I asked the dealer to buy the car back. Still waiting for an answer.
You just have to wait for one to arrive from GM. They should provide you with a rental while your car is out of commission.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Does this mean that the automatic I got is the preferred trannY-Or did you drive it hard while you were "breaking her in?" People need to baby these new cars until "broken in" thats 500 miles, even after that I would baby it til at least 1000 miles--varying speeds and under 70MPH--As much as i wanna floor it on my new baby---I just can't---won't do it til I broke her in just right--its like a wild horse thats never had a saddle on her back nice and easy-- whoa---whoa=---WHOOOOAAAAA---:driving:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts