Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Some of the Trifecta tunes are only invoked when switches are in certain setting. The usual are the TC switch, which in Competition mode can trigger the tune, or the cruise control.

You can also have them on all the time if you ask for them that way.
That is pretty clever. I like that a lot actually.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm looking into a Trifecta tune. (I am currently talking to Vince via email.) It's difficult to understand what I'll get with a Trifecta (canned or custom) on my stock Red Line, since most tuners already have modes.

Is there any difference to having the Trifecta tune after a GM tune is already installed?

@compdoc777 I presume you have the full custom tune. What is the Competition mode?

P.S. Breaking grip in 3rd is very impressive... Wow.

·
Registered
920 Posts
If you want more power (a lot more) and aren't planning to do any other mods then you can't go wrong with the canned Trifecta tune (also known as budget tune). It's the best $200 performance mod you can do for your car.

You can read about competition mode in the Sky owner's manual. It's basically a setting that turns off some of the electronic nannies (traction control, stability control, etc.). With the Trifecta tune you can choose to use this mode to enable/disable the tune, but most people go with the cruise control button).

-GT

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
The basic tune is just that - a tune Vince has judged to be safe for stock all engines and it comes with no follow up. The more expensive tune is sent to you as a basic tune, you then do a data capture to see what it is doing on your specific car, email it back to Vince, he tweaks it, sends it back and repeat until you have the maximum your engine can handle safely all at no further charge.

The competition mode simply refers to what switch turns the Trifecta tune on (in this case the traction control button). The other common one to use is the cruise control.

When it is turned off, whatever you had in place before is back in control, so if you already had the GMPP tune, that's what will operate. The GMPP gives you 30 BHP and a ton of torque and the Trifecta tune gives you about 70 BHP (over dead stock tune, in other words 40 more than GMPP) and also more torque. Everyone that has reported back says it is tremendous bang for the bucks.

If you are not doing anything else to the engine, the basic Trifecta will probably do it for you. Even if you change intake piping, intercooler piping, exhaust and CAT, no additional special custom tuning is necessary. If you went to a bigger turbo, you'd need custom tuning and the more expensive version would be mandatory.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow, thanks for the incredibly detailed answers guys. It is much appreciated. I won't be modding anything except for implementing a tune. Looks like the budget/canned tune is great for me.

One last question:

If GMPP gives +30hp and +80ft-lb, and Trifecta gives +70hp... what does it give for torque? About 80ft-lb? Or more? Or perhaps less? Just curious.

·
7,051 Posts
The basic tune is just that - a tune Vince has judged to be safe for stock all engines and it comes with no follow up. The more expensive tune is sent to you as a basic tune, you then do a data capture to see what it is doing on your specific car, email it back to Vince, he tweaks it, sends it back and repeat until you have the maximum your engine can handle safely all at no further charge.

The competition mode simply refers to what switch turns the Trifecta tune on (in this case the traction control button). The other common one to use is the cruise control.

When it is turned off, whatever you had in place before is back in control, so if you already had the GMPP tune, that's what will operate. The GMPP gives you 30 BHP and a ton of torque and the Trifecta tune gives you about 70 BHP (over dead stock tune, in other words 40 more than GMPP) and also more torque. Everyone that has reported back says it is tremendous bang for the bucks.

If you are not doing anything else to the engine, the basic Trifecta will probably do it for you. Even if you change intake piping, intercooler piping, exhaust and CAT, no additional special custom tuning is necessary. If you went to a bigger turbo, you'd need custom tuning and the more expensive version would be mandatory.
Basic Trifecta tune, what's the difference in power compared to the GMPP-Tune?

·
7,051 Posts
If you believe the dyno, 290 for the GMPP versus ~330 to 340 for the Trifecta at the crank (depending on the parasitic drive train loss)..
OK then, everyone that got a Trifecta tune should of have gotten the Basic Trifecta tune unless they are changing over to a bigger Turbo like wspohn mentioned below?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Or maybe not depending on what you paid for it!

·
Registered
920 Posts
OK then, everyone that got a Trifecta tune should of have gotten the Basic Trifecta tune unless they are changing over to a bigger Turbo like wspohn mentioned below?
When I had mine Trifecta-tuned the basic tune was not available, but if I was doing it again I'd go with the basic tune and save the $. There's very little difference in power between them on a mostly stock engine.

-GT

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
To bad this dyno chart doesn't show the before but it does show an after tune. Nothing to compare numbers with the same car & dyno...
What Mods besides the Trifecta Tune was installed on this car?
You're right. Although Compdoc777 indicates in his original post that it was stock, his signature (which as you know is dynamic) does indicate that he (now) has several performance enhancing mods, we just don't know whether they were installed before or after is runs. That said, those dyno values are in line with values Vince and Steve had quoted me in a string of e-mails with only my new IC pipes and no other mod before I installed the tune.

·
7,051 Posts
You're right. Although Compdoc777 indicates in his original post that it was stock, his signature (which as you know is dynamic) does indicate that he (now) has several performance enhancing mods, we just don't know whether they were installed before or after is runs. That said, those dyno values are in line with values Vince and Steve had quoted me in a string of e-mails with only my new IC pipes and no other mod before I installed the tune.
Steve, the 277-288 whp looks to me like he might of had a HF Cat install already. :confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just installed the budget tune on my stock '08 R/L and HOLY CRAP...what a difference this tune makes! The boost kicks in much quicker and a lot higher...just need to remember to hold on!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just installed the budget tune on my stock '08 R/L and HOLY CRAP...what a difference this tune makes! The boost kicks in much quicker and a lot higher...just need to remember to hold on!
Huh...that's funny. I don't have to wait on boost. ;) Enjoy though. These cars are a hoot to drive!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am looking into getting this for my 07 Redline. Mine is an automatic but I think I would still be pleased. Just wondering where you ordered yours from.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am looking into getting this for my 07 Redline. Mine is an automatic but I think I would still be pleased. Just wondering where you ordered yours from.
Sorry I didn't respond sooner...I bought the Trifecta budget tune and EZflash cable from Bad News Racing for $350. They shipped the cable and emailed the tune quickly. Mine is an automatic too, and the performance boost is amazing!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts