Saturn Sky Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
I guess I have gotten old, but these Autos are so superior in off roading it is not even funny. Drag racing, even to even, my guess is the auto smokes the stick. Track use, most likely the stick. But I have gotten lazy. Driving in LA for so many years tends to make the auto so much nicer. Anyway I am ordering the Trifecta budget in the morning. Looking forward to next weekend!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
I guess I have gotten old, but these Autos are so superior in off roading it is not even funny. Drag racing, even to even, my guess is the auto smokes the stick. Track use, most likely the stick. But I have gotten lazy. Driving in LA for so many years tends to make the auto so much nicer. Anyway I am ordering the Trifecta budget in the morning. Looking forward to next weekend!!!!
You know, Bob, you can take 243, you don't have to drive up to Idyllwild on dirt roads :lol: :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Bob. You WILL be very pleasantly surprised with the "budget" tune. Every time the auto downshifts to first the tires spin with ease and every time the accellerator is even moderately pressed the boost comes on exponentially better than stock. Let us know how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
11,411 Posts
I so need a turbo...

That said, automatics are definatly quicker on the dragstrip. With my Grand Prix, the 1-2 shift time was .0076 seconds and the 2-3 was .0129 seconds. No way in hell a human moving a lever will match that. Now a purpose built drag trans is a whole different animal.

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
I live off of 243 on a dirt road!!!! Was talking more about my FJ Cruiser. The Princess's car will never see dirt. We rent a storage unit to keep it out of the dirt. No rain, No dirt, No snow, locked away behind security cameras, electric gates and car cover!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
I had a new 70 LT1 Z28 with turbo hydro 400. I never saw anything faster on the street, that included, 454 Chevelle, 440 Dodge, 383 dodge, 426 Hemi, 442 Olds. For it to even be close they had to have me by a car length on the first shift, if not it was 3-4 car lengths at the 1/4 mile mark. A 340 Dart got close once and a 350 Nova, with like engine and tranny. Loved that car. But wanted another big block!! DUMB!!!!!

I do think the engine/tranny/tires were the perfect combination and it seemed to run better than any other 350 in the Memphi/St Louis/KC and Omaha area. Made a lot of money with that thing. You get those every once in a while.

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
I live off of 243 on a dirt road!!!! Was talking more about my FJ Cruiser. The Princess's car will never see dirt. We rent a storage unit to keep it out of the dirt. No rain, No dirt, No snow, locked away behind security cameras, electric gates and car cover!!!!
Just messing with ya there Bob... we all know that nobody takes their Kappa to a dirt track :lol:

On edit: Although, I have seen pictures of a red one that had 24" wheels/tires on it... looked like it belonged on wagon train.. and like crap!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had a new 70 LT1 Z28 with turbo hydro 400. I never saw anything faster on the street, that included, 454 Chevelle, 440 Dodge, 383 dodge, 426 Hemi, 442 Olds. For it to even be close they had to have me by a car length on the first shift, if not it was 3-4 car lengths at the 1/4 mile mark. A 340 Dart got close once and a 350 Nova, with like engine and tranny. Loved that car. But wanted another big block!! DUMB!!!!!

I do think the engine/tranny/tires were the perfect combination and it seemed to run better than any other 350 in the Memphi/St Louis/KC and Omaha area. Made a lot of money with that thing. You get those every once in a while.
Well you never ran into me!
68 Pontiac Catalina with factory NASCAR motor, 455 Turbo Hydromatic.

Hit the pedal at 90 and it would downshift to second and scream to 97+ before shifting into 3rd.

Those were the days.

Now I have to settle for my Pontiac G8 GT LS 76 Vette motor with 12.5 sec in the quarter.

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
I had a friend with a HO Olds 455. He was going to some automotive school in Des Moines. At the time I had my 427/435 vette. He never beat me, trying everything in the book, but never did. One week I blew the vette racing a 750 Kawasaki Mach 3 2 stroke. Pulled it to replace the rod bearing, dropped a junk your 327 two barrel in it so I could get back and forth to base. Went home for the weekend, Chrysler was just starting to sell 500 cfm Holley two barrels and I had the ignition out of the Vette. So dropped both in this old engine, just new it ran. Alan got back from school and like always it was on at the 13th street drag area. I did not tell anyone what was in it. Swear to god it would not turn a tire, and it hooked up every gear, but he got me in 4th by a car and half. Instantly to the Dairy Queen, Hood open, bragging he had jus shut down my Vette. And of course I played it and let him rant and rant and talk crap, told him he ran a great race. Of course he wanted me to open the hood so he could gloat. Popped the hood and there that tiny little bitty warn out 327, grime all over it and a shiny new 2 barrel atop of it. You would have thought I shot him with M14. It was hilarious. He new it had to be a fuely and on and on. Had tall tires on the back, nothing special, but for some reason it just hooked up, would never win a 1/4, but it was always close. Funny as hell!!! Small blocks on the street back then had a real advantage, could not destroy the tires as easily.

they were the fun days though for sure. Lots of noise, screaming tires, smoke and girls laughing and having a good time. Sure remember those days as fun.

We never ran at the strip, public streets out in the country. 50to60 cars showed up, could pick up a thousand dollars a night very easily. Sure helped with my Marine Sergeants pay.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I was never into drag racing, but I did have one car that was a lot of fun with guys that were. It was a fibreglass bodied British car with a built big block Chrysler sixpack in it. The hot shoes on the highway would zap up to 120 or so and then run out of revs as they were running 4 something diffs, at which point I'd put my foot to the floor, the other 4 barrels would open up and I'd wave as they disappeared behind me. They would wax me in a standing start, though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just installed my Trifecta tune, asked to have it Installed with the cruise control on. Test drive it and was a bit disappointed! Decide to turn the cruise off, stomp on it and whoa she took off and started fishtailing. So far I have seen an increase of 5PSI. A huge difference in performance. Wished it would have been set up cruise on = tune on but I am really impressed

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Thy used to do it cruise on = tune on (that's what my cars is set for) but later seem to have gone the other way and cruise off = tune on. No idea why.

Reactions: Triscott
41 - 52 of 52 Posts