Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only had the Sky for 3 weeks and my wife has been driving it almost exclusively. Today I tried to put the top down and I think I put the lever back in place after I released the top at the windshield (I didn't know you were supposed to leave the lever out). When I closed the lid after putting the top in there, I heard a thud and the top did not latch. The trunk ajar light comes on now. I can't get the trunk closed properly. I tried all sorts of things to get the latch in the trunk to accept the trunk lid when you slam it but nothing works. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
6,578 Posts
You probably bent something in the latch. Check the bar that is attached to the underside of the lid. It should be straight. I'll bet that its bent.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, that wasn't it. I checked and it is still straight. The receiving
latch in the trunk has a straight bar across it that I can't get to
clear out of the way. To be honest, I never paid attention and I don't know what the latch should look like before you slam down the lid. I had a similar problem on a Saturn and
they ended up installing a whole new latch assembly.

·
Super Moderator
6,578 Posts
Could that bar be the part of the latch that closes the catch ? If it is bent, it wouldn't move.

Here are a couple of pictures of my latch. They are not the clearest, but they may help.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Could that bar be the part of the latch that closes the catch ? If it is bent, it wouldn't move.

Here are a couple of pictures of my latch. They are not the clearest, but they may help.
Take a small screw driver {screwstick in the south} Either a #1 or a 2 phillips and push the shaft into the locking mechanism to see if it binds. If no binding unlock trunk again and see if the top grabhook is bent and not clearing the lower lock mechanism or to tell you the truth something is bent and the dealership can fix it . If you cannot get the trunk to lock than only alternative you have is to secure with rope the trunk and drive ssllooww to the dealership .Remember the rear decklid is a huge ass sail when it is open even a little bit...Skip..I hope I have helped....:) :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
2 clicks

the 2nd click eliminates the ajar lite... ( if you play with it with your finger you can figure / see what i'm talkin about........
i did same thing 2 weeeks ago.........leave your handle in open position.. after or while putting top down.....make sure it seats right ..lol..not in the latch mechanism..lol..
there are 2 screws on driver side almost hidden....loosen and it will allow mechanism to more or less rotate forward...... that adjusted/ fixed my problem....... nothing needed replacing or service - 3rd attempt messing with it FINALLY figured it out or lucked up...........
sleepy and prolly not making sense !

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your suggestions. When I got to work today, a co-worker asked me if I had tried locking and unlocking the trunk with the electronic keyfob. I had not. Sure enough, that did the trick. I don't know how I got the latch into the state that it was in but the keyfob solved it without having to visit the dealer. I feel kind of dumb for now thinking of this but I'm happy to have it solved so I can enjoy the last few warm days of fall.

·
Super Moderator
6,578 Posts
Glad you got it working, and that there was no damage.

Probably, the top latch tripped the trunk latch. It seems to line up perfectly.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Carguy -- That was great additional information you brought.
You could save a lot of people a trip to the dealer and A LOT of anxiety
:thumbs:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts