Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other day the gaps on my 2008 Redline trunk were way off. On the driver side the gap was about 1/8" to 3/16" wide while on the passenger side the gap was almost non-existent. Thankfully I found post here that show how easy it is to adjust the lid. (Loosen 4 bolts, move live, tighten.) But then I noticed the rear edge on the driver side was actually over a bit of the tail light which probably is why the driver buttress won't flip without a fight. The passenger side looked fine.
So, anyone have a tip how to set all sides to prescribed width? The gaps will shift between when I set the gaps and lay on the final tightening.
Thank you.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I noticed the other day the gaps on my 2008 Redline trunk were way off. On the driver side the gap was about 1/8" to 3/16" wide while on the passenger side the gap was almost non-existent. Thankfully I found post here that show how easy it is to adjust the lid. (Loosen 4 bolts, move live, tighten.) But then I noticed the rear edge on the driver side was actually over a bit of the tail light which probably is why the driver buttress won't flip without a fight. The passenger side looked fine.
So, anyone have a tip how to set all sides to prescribed width? The gaps will shift between when I set the gaps and lay on the final tightening.
Thank you.
I had a friend who was working on his 68’ Camaro and while adjusting the gaps he used spacers, kind of like what one used when working with tile. He made it himself out of wood.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yes spacers can & should be used for gap adjustments. When I had body
shop work done on my car- for a trunk hinge replacement- front hood scrape
I asked the body shop manager about the panel gap issue- how they get them
back or within OEM specs. Spacers, and adjust was his response.
I had also supplied him, before hand a printed copy of a PDF on factory adjustments to our
panels, their tolerances as a reference. He did tell me later, his tech did refer to it, to
adjust the rear deck lid, re-hung my bumper several times, making fine adjustments till
close to perfect. I can find only two small places on my car where it is off slightly. I can
live with those results for now. You can spend weeks in a body shop, and the costs
to align panels, smoothing the surface, blending paint colors to near factory like conditions.
Depends on what or how close to perfect you can live with as an owner I guess.

IN your case here- it has effected the top operation, the buttress pin alignment to
the trunk lid. Little adjustments can be to the top itself, also the release mechanics
to the buttress operation. You don't want this to affect the top mechanics from working
properly- all kinds of headaches there. Bent or warping the frame is bad news- certainly
expensive.

Check in your local auto parts store, the body filler/paint section, they might have a
package of feeler gauges- like spark plug gap measurer but in plastic for gap alignment.
There might be something online you could order, for the next round if you're feeling
that a full body check of all panels is in order. No one wants a door rubbing, or a hood
edge nicking of paint, because it was just a bit out of alignment. Luck with it.

LAC

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
The Solstice and Sky always had issues with the trunk lid being out of alignment, most often on the passenger rear corner. It was often a "factory" thing, not necessarily caused by an incident.

BUT......

The other possibility is that a previous owner allowed the wind to catch the trunk lid which caused the condition. You "NEVER" want the wind to catch the lid which is why I will never modify the trunk lid to raise on it's own when hitting the release button by the glove box.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a plastic letter opener that is a hair under 3mm thick. The "prong" that started the opening varied in thickness from about 1mm to 3mm. So, it made a fairly good test shim. The problem I run into is when I get the gap set with the trunk closed, it shifts when I open the lid and tighten the bolts. And I'm not loosening the bolts that far in an attempt to keep it from shifting. Now if I could get the driver side buttress peg to properly line up as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts