Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so Im crusin with the with top down:cool: . everything is great:cheers: , I pop the trunk lid to put the top back up, top is up, I go to close the lid and the two pins that hook into the trunk, dont go back far enough and strike the trunk lid when I go to close it. \:mad: there is a plastic piece that is attached to the trunk and it pops off as a result of the two pins not clearing when I went to shut the lid. anyone had this problem yet?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Do you mean the two silver caps (kinda like protective washers) that go around the area that the pin clamps down?

SOrry. No problems so far...knock on wood.
Carlie

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, thank goodness, its just a black plastic piece that is attached near the edge of the lid. I will post pics when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
was the top latched? I almost did the same thing. I pulled the top up, went to slam the hatch down and at the last second noticed that it was going to hit the pointy pins things that extend off the buttress.

I stopped, latched the top down, came back and slammed it shut without problem.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Well, the good news is that the plastic piece is there to protect the paint on your trunk in the event the trunk lid hits those pins. So if the plastic popped off but you have no paint damage, it sounds like they are doing their job. (Although I think the designers were more concerned with trunk opening rather than trunk closing.)

You should take the car back to the dealer. It sounds like the buttresses are not retracting correctly, and you may need your top adjusted.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Well, the good news is that the plastic piece is there to protect the paint on your trunk in the event the trunk lid hits those pins. So if the plastic popped off but you have no paint damage, it sounds like they are doing their job. (Although I think the designers were more concerned with trunk opening rather than trunk closing.)

You should take the car back to the dealer. It sounds like the buttresses are not retracting correctly, and you may need your top adjusted.
:agree: :agree: :agree:

Regards,

BA...

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
When putting up the top, one should lock it in then shut the trunk. If not it might hit the buttresses while closing...Skip...:) :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
My trunk lid will not close until the top is latched. It's a good idea to slowly take the lid past the buttrees pins before you slam the lid down.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
trust me, I wish it was my fault, so that I dont have to go to a dealer to get it fixed, but I am latching the top completly. I just think its annoying that I ahve to push back the pins everytime I want to close it. Oh and by the way, both pins are now touching.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Had my trunk in for relignment and latching problems 3 frikin times once when the oil got changed but even so its a weakenss of first year production . check always to see if panel lines get biger or smaller having to slam the trunk so many times ..... If they are too close as was the case here you could actuall chip the paint

Fuuuuuuu.......

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I feel bad reading all this.
I usually slam the lid shut - hand on the drivers edge... Sometimes Opps! the roof was not set all the way in...:willy:
No alignment problems... nothing...

I do keep checking especially after reading about stuff like this.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
My trunk lid needs an 'adjustment', too...has since day 1, but just never got around to taking it in cuz they said they would most likely have to keep the car overnight. :huh: I will have it adjusted when I take the car in to get the a/c compressor replaced - still waiting on that to arrive, it's been over 3 months now! :wtf:

·
Registered
178 Posts
well...my first problem

I, too, am having some trunk problems. It started last week when I had trouble closing the trunk after putting the top up - just wouldn't close down all the way. Re-did the roof and carefully closed it dwn and it worked.

Later that week, put the top down (It's nice to live in Georgia!!) and went to visit my best friend for lunch - he noticed that one of those little black protective triangle 'thingys' was out of place. Put it back flush with the trunk.

That night - put the top up and could not get the trunk to close. Checked out every possible problem. Finally when I did get it to close - there's now a misalignment of about 1/4 inch.

Did I do something wrong? Or is this the problem that you guys are experiencing as well?

Carlie

·
Registered
198 Posts
Has anyone had problems with the buttresses not coming out when you pop the truck? Sometimes both of them stick but the passenger side one always does. Saturn replaced some cable that runs inside the buttress but that didn't fix the problem. I can tell it isn't lined up properly b/c I have to pull the pin out of the hole! What can they do to finally fix this?

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Nothing like that, just a little clamshell adjustment, and of course the little black cubes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Does anybody have trouble shutting the trunk with the wind resrictor that attaches to where the trunk lid shuts?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the occasional problem with the passenger side buttress not coming out when I hit the trunk release. I usually have to lightly pull up as I hit the trunk release a second time on my keychain and it comes right off. I am going to have the dealer look at this the next time I am in. If anybody else had this problem like NC_Sky said and has had it fixed please report your findings here.

Licketysplit... it does require slightly more of a slamming of the trunk to get it to close with the WindRestrictor on. It has gotten a bit easier since the first time though. If your trunk doesn't close the first time, release it, and slam the trunk down a little harder.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Has anyone had problems with the buttresses not coming out when you pop the truck? Sometimes both of them stick but the passenger side one always does. Saturn replaced some cable that runs inside the buttress but that didn't fix the problem. I can tell it isn't lined up properly b/c I have to pull the pin out of the hole! What can they do to finally fix this?
I have this problem. From the driver side, I push the trunk lid down and the passenger buttress then retracts. But the trunk lid is caught by the latch and I must hit the trunk release again.

The passenger buttress is also a bit more difficult to latch. But then again there is the antenna to work around as well.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
My trunk lid needs an 'adjustment', too...has since day 1, but just never got around to taking it in cuz they said they would most likely have to keep the car overnight. :huh: I will have it adjusted when I take the car in to get the a/c compressor replaced - still waiting on that to arrive, it's been over 3 months now! :wtf:
I am hoping to pick up my brand new Sky on Monday! Already has the trunk alignment problem but the dealer is adjusting it for me before I take possession of the car.

Has anyone else bent the hook that latches the convertible top? They did that at the dealership while showing me the car. Apparently you have to make sure it is securely in place before folding the top into the trunk or it catches and bends. If it does it is almost impossible to close the top.

So... two little fixes and she will be all mine!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts