Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have posted in the past on how easy I thought the glove box would be to force open by a bad guy trying to steal your mini golf club set out of the trunk.

Well, I can confirm that its even easier than I thought.

Yesterday, I left work and made my way over to the public parking area I use near downtown San Fran. I did my usual, unlock the doors, pop the trunk. Only this time, for some dumb reason, I set my keys on top of the gas tank while I put my things in the trunk... then shut it! :banghead:

After much cussing I went around to the passenger side to see if I left the glove box unlocked or not.... NOT!. damn, so I crawl under the dash.. pull this punch that... not opening.
I think that I'm pretty much stuck and will have to break the glove box to get to the trunk release but then I have an idea. So I run down to the nearest hardware store (about 4 SF blocks, cussing the entire way) and buy certain tools.

I get back to the car and have the glove box open within seconds and didn't even leave a scratch. I'm not going to divulge exactly how I did it as I don't want to make it any easier for the knuckleheads out there but let me tell you... 15 seconds tops to get in that glove box and pop the trunk and that was with being gentle and careful not to scratch anything.

grabbed my keys and off I went. (thank G that I had unlocked the doors or none of this would have been possible) :thumbs:

I know with the stock alarm, you can break a window and get inside without ever setting off the alarm so I thought this glove box find might be of interest to some of you.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh ya, and the entire time I was upside down under the dash with my feet hanging out of the passenger door while I worked, (obviously up to no good) not one single person stopped to question me.

nice to know that people will walk on by while someone could be stealing your car.

·
Registered
173 Posts
...that's our society now, 95% wear blinders with no chance of getting involved:nonod: and alarms no longer have a purpose, as they once did.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I think someone mentioned a cutoff switch for that button that wouldn't disable the remote but make the button inactive.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You left your keys on top of the gas tank? Whaaa? :nono:
Why didn't you just call OnStar?

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Can Onstar open the trunk?

·
Registered
72 Posts
15 seconds to open the glove box huh? I guess I better refrain from tossing my wallet in there and thinking it's sorta safe while I'm steps away. And, can onstar open the trunk?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think someone mentioned a cutoff switch for that button that wouldn't disable the remote but make the button inactive.
I actually thought of putting one in while I was under the dash. or completely disabling it.

I may disable the orig. button and relocate it to a hidden spot just in case I decide it was so much fun to lock my keys in that I need to do it again. :jester:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You left your keys on top of the gas tank? Whaaa? :nono:
Why didn't you just call OnStar?

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:
I didn't think they could open the trunk... but to tell you the truth, it wouldn't of mattered as I didn't even think of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is the first car I've ever owned with onstar... totally forgot I even had it........... dam#*&$(#&@(#&@(*^#@(#^@(&#^@(*#&(*&@(*$&(@&$

please, someone tell me that they can't open the trunk so I can rest knowing I didn't waste all that time under the dash and walking all over town looking for a hardware store!! :banghead:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't think they could open the trunk... but to tell you the truth, it wouldn't of mattered as I didn't even think of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is the first car I've ever owned with onstar... totally forgot I even had it........... dam#*&$(#&@(#&@(*^#@(#^@(&#^@(*#&(*&@(*$&(@&$

please, someone tell me that they can't open the trunk so I can rest knowing I didn't waste all that time under the dash and walking all over town looking for a hardware store!! :banghead:

ok, I couldn't take it so I just called onstar. They said that they cannot open the trunk... only the doors.

shew, I feel better.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Trunk stays locked!

:eek:
Thanks for clearing that up, I would like a fool called OnStar and told them I was locked out of my car. So never lock the keys in the trunk unless the glove box in unlocked! Maybe if we all right that down 500 times we will never forget. :willy:

·
Registered
194 Posts
ok, I couldn't take it so I just called onstar. They said that they cannot open the trunk... only the doors.

shew, I feel better.
Ooh-Rah!! :thumbs: :cheers:

·
Registered
141 Posts
:lol:

shew, I feel better.

:lol: I didn't know either

·
Registered
692 Posts
USMC,
Next trip I take to Petaluma and Santa Rosa Area I'll e-mail you. We have got to meet, you're killing me!:lol:
I locked my keys in the car on a trip to Oregon in the 80's: AT Multnomah Falls, In the parking Lot!! Cuss? Nahh, not this Sailor, I said one seventeen letter word. Couldn't repeat it here though:mad: :mad:
Glad to hear you got out of SF ok though. Hope to see you on a trip soon.
John

·
Registered
802 Posts
USMC,
Next trip I take to Petaluma and Santa Rosa Area I'll e-mail you. We have got to meet, you're killing me!:lol:
I locked my keys in the car on a trip to Oregon in the 80's: AT Multnomah Falls, In the parking Lot!! Cuss? Nahh, not this Sailor, I said one seventeen letter word. Couldn't repeat it here though:mad: :mad:
John
pppsssstt....(I figured out your word)...one of my favorites.

·
Registered
225 Posts
How do you disable the pop trunk button? and if it is fairly easy to do, what would stop a potential thief from enabling it again? note: i'm not very familiar with car-wiring so forgive my ignorance.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
USMC,
John
Definately!!! I have been wanting to plan a weekend drive for months now but due to circumstances at home, I haven't had the time.

Things are starting to calm down now so have a little more time on my hands but its almost to late! Almost time for the cold weather to start moving in. :nonod:

·
Registered
366 Posts
How do you disable the pop trunk button? and if it is fairly easy to do, what would stop a potential thief from enabling it again? note: i'm not very familiar with car-wiring so forgive my ignorance.
All you'd need to do is disconnect one of the wires to the button somewhere along the circuit. If the theif knew what they were doing there is nothing to stop them from fixing it but most theives want something quick and painless, not to lie upside down with their feet out the door popping open the glove box :D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
My feeling is the security set up in general will dissuade a joy rider. If a thief wants your SKY (and they don't--> too rare - no need for parts which is why most cars are stolen) it's gone. They do more damage if you make it too tough for em.
I try not to leave anything worth stealing anywhere easily seen.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My feeling is the security set up in general will dissuade a joy rider. If a thief wants your SKY (and they don't--> too rare - no need for parts which is why most cars are stolen) it's gone. They do more damage if you make it too tough for em.
I try not to leave anything worth stealing anywhere easily seen.
I agree. Locks only keep honest people honest.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts