Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few weeks ago I noticed two bumps on top of the rear bumper cover that lined up with the trunk hinges, i took it in and they said they would see if Saturn knew anything about it.. I have not heard anything since and I have noticed the bumps getting larger. This evening I went to put the top up and the trunk lid would only go up a little bit then hang... I tried getting it open but it would not budge, finally I hear a pop, and it opens, the pop was the back edge of the trunk popping by the rear bumper cover edge benting the back edge of the trunk.... I am taking it in tomorrow and I hope they finally agree something is wrong and fix the dang thing ....
needless to say I am very upset....

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Yes..Tim, i have noticed that.. and remember our babies are only 26 vin numbers apart...... i have got a list started for when i drop my baby off this next thursday for the long holiday weekend.......SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SkyBaby said:
Yes..Tim, i have noticed that.. and remember our babies are only 26 vin numbers apart...... i have got a list started for when i drop my baby off this next thursday for the long holiday weekend.......SkyBaby-07
so you have the bumps also... i hope yours don't get this bad...
just be careful and keep close watch...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Any chance you can get a decent picture of these bumps and post it? It might help people to know what to look for (including any potential GM lurkers).

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fformula88 said:
Any chance you can get a decent picture of these bumps and post it? It might help people to know what to look for (including any potential GM lurkers).
I tried to once before but my camera wouldn't pick them up... not hard to recognise them, just look where the hinges go back under the cover then look at the very top of the bumper cover... I am so sick over this....

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
After dinner.. i will try.... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
A few weeks ago I noticed two bumps on top of the rear bumper cover that lined up with the trunk hinges, i took it in and they said they would see if Saturn knew anything about it.. I have not heard anything since and I have noticed the bumps getting larger. This evening I went to put the top up and the trunk lid would only go up a little bit then hang... I tried getting it open but it would not budge, finally I hear a pop, and it opens, the pop was the back edge of the trunk popping by the rear bumper cover edge benting the back edge of the trunk.... I am taking it in tomorrow and I hope they finally agree something is wrong and fix the dang thing ....
needless to say I am very upset....
I WAS INFORM ABOUT THE PROBLEM WITH THAT TRUNK, BY A FELLOW sol and sky :confused: LOVER. HE SAID THERE WILL BE A RECALL, REGARDING THIS DEFECT...APPARENTLY WHEN THE TRUNK IS OPEN TOO FAR THE HINGES BULGE.....THROUGH THE LID??.ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING DIFFERENT....

STILL WAITING FOR MY SKY...
MRSVIPER

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took it in...

they are sending it to the body shop today, Hopefully i will have it back in a couple days...
Suggestion, on windy days or when there are high wind gusts, do not pop the trunk without your hand on it, if the wind catches it and it flies open it can damage the hinges....

·
Registered
727 Posts
Sounds like the hinges must have deformed from additional stress. As you said, potentially from high winds or something. Either way, it is very unfortunate! I hope they can clear it up for you!!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just hope I get it back for the weekend, I have a couple cruise-ins and car shows I want to go to...by the way, we now have 7 Skys in the area, 2 midnight blues, one white, 2 silver, one red and one black...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Watch those wind gusts

Well the final word was the wind gust that took my trunklid for a slam band trip, was strong enough to bend either the hinges or the mount, since it was "a Act of God" the warrenty will not pay for repairs, I called my Insurance company and they will cover it under comprehensive. so I owe nothing to get my car fixed, and i was promised it will be ready by thursday...Yipee..
I am going to see if i can figure something out to keep this from happening again... either that or have one hand on the trunk whenever i pop it...

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
If it is windy out and you need to open the trumk, I think that standing next to the trunk and using the fob with the other hand on the decklid, would probably allivate the problem. But then if it is a strong enough wind to pop open the decklid after you use the fob I would not pop the lid because it might warp the whole decklid....Skip...did I make sense?.....:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Skip said:
If it is windy out and you need to open the trumk, I think that standing next to the trunk and using the fob with the other hand on the decklid, would probably allivate the problem. But then if it is a strong enough wind to pop open the decklid after you use the fob I would not pop the lid because it might warp the whole decklid....Skip...did I make sense?.....:cheers: :cheers:
I didn't think when it would raise up just a inch or two when it pops up that that would give enough surface area for the wind to jerk it up with that much force, but I guess I was wrong.... PS i don;t think it is a problem when the top is up. just when it is down...

·
Registered
802 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
I didn't think when it would raise up just a inch or two when it pops up that that would give enough surface area for the wind to jerk it up with that much force, but I guess I was wrong.... PS i don;t think it is a problem when the top is up. just when it is down...
Whoops...Mine is 00278, I better give it a check. Maybe it needs a couple of nylon straps to keep it from over opening...duh? maybe?

Attachments

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
In the full upright position the decklid is like a big sail. That is what I was trying to say, and with it popped up a smidgen it could on a windy day be snatched open bywind catching under the decklid. A long time ago I opened my daughters hood in a wind and it likened to tear it off the hinges. So I learned during windy conditions don't open up decklids or hoods without having my hand on it . Sometimes even so it might want to warp it .....Skip...:cool:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
eldeeko said:
Whoops...Mine is 00278, I better give it a check. Maybe it needs a couple of nylon straps to keep it from over opening...duh? maybe?
Hmmm - a nylon catchstrap is a really good idea...

...kappasphere, are you listening?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Skip said:
In the full upright position the decklid is like a big sail. That is what I was trying to say, and with it popped up a smidgen it could on a windy day be snatched open bywind catching under the decklid. A long time ago I opened my daughters hood in a wind and it likened to tear it off the hinges. So I learned during windy conditions don't open up decklids or hoods without having my hand on it . Sometimes even so it might want to warp it .....Skip...:cool:
:yesnod: yep that is what I said in my post number 9

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
KappaMan said:
Hmmm - a nylon catchstrap is a really good idea...

...kappasphere, are you listening?
Wouldn't there need to be either one large one for the center or one on either side to evenly distribute the force and prevent warping of the decklid?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts