Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the size of the truck on the SKY. Can you fit 2 sets of golf clubs with the top down. I have put a deposit on the car but I am not sure if they will make enough.

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
From what I've seen, you could probably fit ONE set of clubs in there. If the mysterious hump weren't sucking up half the trunk, sure, but as it is, I doubt it. Maybe they'll make a suitcase rack for the trunk. :p

·
Registered
53 Posts
Jesus God.

What is it with people and TRUNK SPACE.

It's a two-seat convertible roadster!!

It is stunning to me that people seem so manically concerned with what they can carry in the trunk.

Don't take it personally bcboy-- I'm glad you're here!-- I just can't for the life of me understand why cargo space is such a prominent part of the questioning regarding what is clearly a car meant for everything BUT delightful cargo capacity.

I've said it before-- and I'll keep saying it:

If cargo space is ANY significant part of your decision to buy the Sky or the Solstice, you're probably not the kind of customer the designers had in mind when they created these cars... :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
yeah, geeze, just get a trunk rack and be done with it :D I dunno what it is with people and golf bags anyway... I wanna know how many subs I can stick back there!

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
mdlestat, you have to remember Roadsters have typicaly catered to the type of people who like to golf. The standard unit of Roadster trunk space is golf bags too. So unfortunately by telling people they're wrong to want to fit them in there, you're also trying to alienate the majority of people who buy these cars.

bcboy, from what we've heard you can fit a soft golf bag in the trunk with the roof down. With the roof up, you can supposedly fit two soft golf bags.

·
Registered
10 Posts
mdlestat said:
Jesus God.

If cargo space is ANY significant part of your decision to buy the Sky or the Solstice, you're probably not the kind of customer the designers had in mind when they created these cars... :)
Maybe people who are concerned about the sensibilty of the car aren't the people the car was designed for but they're certainly the people that the car is being marketed for.

Looking at my Sky propoganda that I was given at the car show, it seems to me the car is aimed at the young business person looking for a fun yet still sensible car with all the bells and whistles. There's even a total metrosexual man on the front of the booklet.

To me a roadster is a fun trip to the golf course on a spring Sunday or a weekend getaway to the mountains. If the trunkspace of this car is as terribly small as rumored it really does put a slight damper on my opinion of the car.

Its frustrating to see every post on these boards not about how fast the car will go or how many HP the car will have once I put {Random Upgrade} on it gets shot down as an idiotic question.

Should I be going to all the posts about speed, HP, upgrades, and F/I and post "OMG!!! This car obviously wasn't designed for you look at the engine they put in it! If you want a fast car buy a Lotus, or an Evo, or a WRX and stop with the upgrade talk!"

·
Registered
109 Posts
bcboy said:
Does anyone know the size of the truck on the SKY. Can you fit 2 sets of golf clubs with the top down. I have put a deposit on the car but I am not sure if they will make enough.

Thanks
Canadian Dept of Transportation requires that a trunk must hold at least a two four of Molsons :lol:

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't think truck space is the issue with a maximum load capacity of 353 lbs. Might be the reason the truck is so small to begin with. The way the car is design it's for couples only. Hey, maybe thats what everybody will be calling them, "The Love Machine". :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bcboy said:

Thanks
I sure would like to go on a road trip with this SKY. I really don't want to FED EX my clubs & suitcases to the next destination!!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Neekburm,
Well said, but the thing is... with the trunk posts, it's basically "omg, HOW big is the trunk? well, I want to go golfing with my buddy every weekend, so put a bigger trunk in it and you'll get my money" but as with the HP/Top speed/whatever posts, it's "wow... 170HP? that's it? well, good enough I guess, I'll just do this and this and this to it once I get it, to make it go 100000000% faster :D" you can't very well expect the design team to go back, redesign, resculpt, re, re, re just so you can fit another club or two in there... at least the people talking about the engine are saying "alright, you didn't make it fast enough, so I'll make it faster" rather than "oh. no, no, no. go back and stick a faster engine in it... now. No? Well I'll go buy a {enter faster car here} for the same price."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Trunk space

Right on !!!!! Neekburn . I'm the kind of person Saturn wants back into there showroom again. And I think most people older than me won't care in power as much as mpg, style, safety, and yes trunk space. Power is nice as long as it gets reasonable mpg. I plan to drive mine and with gas planing to hit $3 a gallon. Well my sky is all paid for when and if I walk back into that showroom. And if I don't like what I see,I will have saved enough in that account to buy a car that does.

·
Registered
53 Posts
More power to you duffers-- I could care less how much storage there is in the car--

Cheers--

·
Registered
45 Posts
101jinx101 said:
yeah, geeze, just get a trunk rack and be done with it :D I dunno what it is with people and golf bags anyway... I wanna know how many subs I can stick back there!
You and me both! I bet you could fit at least 2, maybe 3 10" subs at a bit of an angle facing forward at the rear, mount a huge ass amp on the mysterious hump, and 2F caps on either side, and you'd still have room to spare for... a couple grocery bags. :cheers:

Seriously... a powered bazooka tube or something has got to go in there for me. I've got a pair of 12" L7 solobarics in my Vue now, and I luuuuuv the bass. :p

If this is your only car, it's not very practical. If you want to take it for weekend vacations to the mountains for camping, well, it's still not very practical, but you'll learn to pack lightly. I have friends that ride their Harleys CROSS COUNTRY .... with only saddle bags and a small tail pack -- no trailer full of crap on the back. Learn to pack as if you were actually hiking the stuff up into the mountains. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I understand the argument for more trunk space...but, dang. The second that GM would redesign the thing to have a larger trunk, then people would bitch and complain that the trunk is too big....blah blah blah.

IMO, Less is more in this case. :cool:

Like I've said before though, the only thing going in the car (aside from me) is gonna be a 115lb hot body chica!!! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all!

In principle I understand all of your opinions. I want to add mine:

I'm just starting to work and I'll have ~2 years till Opel will bring the european version of the kappa-roadster. During these two years I'll have to save every cent to get the money in time.

Only the relative low price of the car makes it possible for me. I think that indeed many people who will buy it have at least one other car but don't underestimate the fact that such an "affordable" roadster could also attract other people. People that normally would not have enough money for such a car.

If I really make it (thumbs up) and own such a car in two years, then it will be my only car. I'll have to transport everything with this car. Of course I know that I can't have everything at the same time and I'm willing to make some compromise. But there is a limit.

I really love this car (I'm hanging around here two years in advance, proof enough?)! But I think the trunk is badly engineered.

Why did they have to build this "mayan-temple" thing into the trunk? I know the fuel tank is behind, but why??? If I look to the construction plans of every little car in the world, they managed to form the tank in a way it fits into the existing "holes" of the structure.

If they would manage to place the fuel tank somewhere else I bet that would result in an additional 100 L trunk capacity. That would be around the capacity a MX-5 has.

I do understand, that the roof needs space if it is down. That is conceptual and not the problem. If I need to transport some food, I can close the top. If I'm on a weekend trip I can close the top. No problem. But I can't remove this fuel tank!

GM, do something!

·
Registered
245 Posts
well, if you don't mind a slightly smaller gas tank, and have some welding/fabricating experience, it might be possibly to chop it down a bit... although you'll throw out your fuel gauge, it would allow for more space in the trunk, top up OR down. but, i've been doing some thinking... does anyone else think that this hump might be used for something? like, maybe part of the roof rests upon it when closed or something, so it doesn't get torn/stretched/broken/something?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi all, I was looking at the trunk pics and I was thinking the same thing as 101jinx101. I have my doubts about it being the fuel tank.

If you look at the fuel tank fill up position on the pics and compare them to the height of the 'tank', it doesn't make much sense for it to raise up that high. On every car I've ever seen, the tank is always lower than the fill up. It also seems weird that they'd mount such a heavy item that high up on the car.

Also take a look at the pics of the bare Kappa chassis. (here's a good pic: http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/merismus/as/autoshow2004/photos/l_4_gm_chass_02.jpg)
That dark gray box near the back of the seats... I could be wrong, but couldn't that be the fuel tank? From several angles it seems that would be it, and it kinda makes sense for it to be there, since it's a) a variable weight item that would throw off the 50/50 balance of the car as it empties if it were further towards the ends, and b) it's lower than the fill nozzle. I know I wouldn't want fuel sloshing around any further to the rear than it needs to be on a sporty car.

I would guess that the hump could be the spare tire and hardware. It doesn't change weight, and the cover seems readily removable, which suggests that it's meant to come off. I don't see anywhere else it could go, either. Just my $0.02 :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
In principle I agree with all the quite good arguments for the temple NOT BEING the gas tank.

BUT: I looked into the Solstice forum and most people there claim, that it is indeed the gas tank.

I'm not sure whether there's confirmed information about the real position of the gas tank.

Maybe one of the veteran members can tell us?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts