41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
mdlestat said:
Jesus God.

What is it with people and TRUNK SPACE.

It's a two-seat convertible roadster!!

It is stunning to me that people seem so manically concerned with what they can carry in the trunk.

Don't take it personally bcboy-- I'm glad you're here!-- I just can't for the life of me understand why cargo space is such a prominent part of the questioning regarding what is clearly a car meant for everything BUT delightful cargo capacity.

I've said it before-- and I'll keep saying it:

If cargo space is ANY significant part of your decision to buy the Sky or the Solstice, you're probably not the kind of customer the designers had in mind when they created these cars... :)
Well, let me tell y'all sumpin.
I've had convertibles and roadsters out the ying-yang since you-know-who was a cowboy - and trunk space DOES matter.
My BMW Z4 allows me to do more than just tool around for the sake of tooling around (not that tooling around isn't fun - it is).
In the Z4, I can take my wife to a golf course (with the top down) with 2 sets of clubs and play a round. I can take my Z4 grocery shopping and load the back up with enough vittles to feed an average Canadian family of 12 for a week. OR I can pack enough into the trunk for a weeks vacation on the road.
A roadster doesn't necessarily need to be a completely useless vehicle.
There will be lot's of people who like the styling of of the Solstice and/or Sky to buy it for that reason alone, but many, (me included) will probably pass up on it if there's no trunk space because there are lots of alternatives that match our lifestyle better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I read through most of this string (honestly can't say I read all of it as I was watching the women's Olympic volleyball at the same time) and I don't remember anyone actually saying they tried putting a golf bag in the trunk. Has anyone actually tried it?

·
Registered
186 Posts
If I was a golfer, I'd just go down to the course "roof-up" . But that's IMHO. Research pretty much said what to expect before I considered the sky. It is what it is. I took one home anyway. Hey i really wanted the manual but after testing manual vs. auto trans, I went with the auto because I'm tall and just fit in the thing. With all the shifting and clutching I'd be banging into stuff all over the place. With the wheel all the way up and the seat all the way back the window controls are still at my elbow, and I operate them underhand with my right hand. So there was a little compromise for me as well. But it's still a lot of ride for the buck.

We can debate the targeted marketing aspect forever. Again, what it is... is what it is.
It's an impressively designed piece of eye candy that knows how to get out of it's own way.
And it does both very well.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
:cheers:

you can get one 'normal' golf bag in with the top down or two driver/day bags. Now with top up you can get two 'normal' bags in.

I usually do not like to leave my top down while I am in the Mall or at the golf course/country club. Not only mother nature (sun & rain) but humans with personality problems too. :eek:
Also, since the Solotice does not have the two center metal rear supports .. better use of their trunk space is possible. Compare the two trunks and check difference in the inside rear center area.

I did move my ( SKYMAM-CT is correct ... I meant the "air-compressor) out of the trunk corner and store it ontop of the battery (remove it from the stra-form). That free's up more storage space too. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Also, since the Solotice does not have the two center metal rear supports .. better use of their trunk space is possible. Compare the two trunks and check difference in the inside rear center area.

I did move my battery out of the trunk corner and store it ontop of the battery (remove it from the stra-form). That free's up more storage space too. :thumbs:
Bob,

I know you really meant to say air compressor, just thought I would clear that up for anybody looking for a battery back there. :lol:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Finally -- last words on Golf and Skys

If you can afford the cars mentioned that have trunk space, then please do so. But SKY owners can have a better looking car of comparable performance and save enough money to keep our clubs in a locker at the course.... :dthumbs:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Two golf bags will not fit in there with the top up or down unless they're Sunday bags (soft and small.......carry about 4-6 clubs). My Ping Hoofer Vantage '07 stand bag was a little too big as well, so I went and bought this:

Mini Looper Stand Bag - Callaway Golf:en-US:products:Accessories:Stand Bags:Mini Looper Stand Bag

fits perfectly in the trunk, even with the top down......and I can fit every club I need in the bag with room to spare. No cart bag will fit in the trunk. You have to get a small/medium stand bag, but it'll fit fine even with the top down. Keep in mind though that there won't be any room in the trunk for ANYTHING else with the top down and minimal room with the top up. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Two golf bags will not fit in there with the top up or down unless they're Sunday bags (soft and small.......carry about 4-6 clubs). My Ping Hoofer Vantage '07 stand bag was a little too big as well, so I went and bought this:

Mini Looper Stand Bag - Callaway Golf:en-US:products:Accessories:Stand Bags:Mini Looper Stand Bag

fits perfectly in the trunk, even with the top down......and I can fit every club I need in the bag with room to spare. No cart bag will fit in the trunk. You have to get a small/medium stand bag, but it'll fit fine even with the top down. Keep in mind though that there won't be any room in the trunk for ANYTHING else with the top down and minimal room with the top up. Hope that helps!
:dthumbs::agree:
The only thing you need to be sure of is that you put the base of the bag on the passenger side of the trunk. The club heads should be by the air compressor.

Once April hits, my clubs are in my trunk, top up or down, every day. I carry all 14 clubs and even have a fuzzy "Who Dey" headcover on my driver! :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
I sure would like to go on a road trip with this SKY. I really don't want to FED EX my clubs & suitcases to the next destination!!!

This is exactly what you do along with a few change of clothes

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
No golf clubs cuz we don't play :nono: . . .
BUT
anyone can easily pack plenty of clothes, shoes, & etc for two people to last at least a week into the Sky's trunk.

I have already done it several times and I will be doing it again in about another week.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
This is my trunk when I went to Aubreys party this summer with my O2 bottles....a change or two of clothes...and some bambi that was frozen...and a bi-pap machine.....Skip....:)

Attachments

41 - 53 of 53 Posts