Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around for a new car and the Sky definately has caught my attention. I'm hesistant to purchase one only because of the lack of trunk space on the vehicle (Daily Driver).

Has anyone taken a look at under the hump in the trunk to see if it can be removed to increase trunk space?

Otherwise, I was wondering if anyone has installed a towing hitch to the back of their car? If you do, could you post some pictures? I am interested to see how it affects the appearance of the car. If it does not break the lines of the car, I could just get a luggage rack.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
OneSky said:
Has anyone taken a look at under the hump in the trunk to see if it can be removed to increase trunk space?
I could be mistaken, but I think you'll find forty dollars worth of gas under that there hump.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
The hump is the gas tank. If you remove it, the distance that your car can travel between fill-ups will be greatly reduced.

The owners manual says that the SKY was not designed to accomodate a trailer hitch, nor should it be "dinghy towed" itself with any of its wheels on the ground. That is the official line from the factory.

Some are investigating the possibility of adding a hitch for towing race components or other accessories.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the fast responses. I'm not planning to tow anything heavy, just wanting to hook up a suitcase rack to be able to carry my golf clubs around. Have you seen any pictures of where someone has tried it yet?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you want a trailer hitch and more trunk space you should probably consider another type of vehicle. Just sayin.....:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Louisiana Sky said:
If you want a trailer hitch and more trunk space you should probably consider another type of vehicle. Just sayin.....:)
I am considering a GTO or the Mazda Miata. The styling of the Sky just won me over.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you will be driving alone then use the other seat to put the clubs and forget the suitcase. Otherwise, look for another larger car.:)

R

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
1994SC2 said:
I could be mistaken, but I think you'll find forty dollars worth of gas under that there hump.
$40. :bs: BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol:

:confused: Where do YOU buy gasoline? :confused:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
OneSky said:
I am considering a GTO or the Mazda Miata. The styling of the Sky just won me over.
GTO's are very cool and are going to be discontinued after the 2006 model year. That will probably kill the resale value. As to the Miata, how often will you really drive with the top down?

·
Registered
746 Posts
OneSky said:
I just sold my MazdaSpeed MX-5 Turbo Charged Miata to prepare for the Redline. Let me tell you there is way more room in the Sky cockpit than a Miata and the redline has much more power. The only issue is the trunk.

SKYRedline over Miata all day long.

Blue :cheers:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
You CAN get a golf bag that will fit in the trunk and hold all your clubs if you are willing to "cut the fat" if your used to like a 12" diameter bag.

(pic below -- I know its a repost)

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
:lol:
1994SC2 said:
:lol: too funny!

·
Registered
804 Posts
If you really want to tow something, look into a motorcycle trailer. They are very light and can hold quite a bit of 'stuff'. You would have to ask Saturn about how to hook up some kind of hitch though.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Are we sure that the hump is the gas tank and not just there to hold the glass in the top from breaking? I don't have my car with me but I think that the hump was a lot higher then the fuel cap.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
southphillylakes said:
Are we sure that the hump is the gas tank and not just there to hold the glass in the top from breaking? I don't have my car with me but I think that the hump was a lot higher then the fuel cap.
Every dealer that I've ever been to that had a Sky on the showroom floor said the hump in the truck is indeed, the gas tank. Think about it...where else could it be? The car is way too low to the ground for it to be underneath somewhere.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Oh it may be built up to accomplish th esupport you mentioned -- but teh bulk of it is tank.

GM exec at the DG gathering said they were looking at redesigning and saddling the tank, to give more room... Later models...:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts