Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Youtube just recommended this old video to me:

It seems to force the trunk open fully by itself.
Has anyone tried this?
I think I'm going to.

·
Registered
17,954 Posts
If u possess the type 1 windrestrictor....no spring will work. The compression between the rubber seal and the release button requires a manual lift because of the way u close the trunk.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Like others have said, I fear the wind catching the trunk lid. I would much rather lift it myself to have control.

If you possess the type 1 wind restrictor, no spring will work. The compression between the rubber seal and the release button requires a manual lift because of the way you close the trunk.
My used Sky purchase originally had the clear wind restrictor that mounts between the trunk lid and the tulip. That is a very bad product. I cannot recommend it. My trunk lid was too hard to get open because of the tight fit. The seller/dealer couldn't get the trunk open for me. It took both of us pulling up while a 3rd person pushed the release button. I tossed that wind restrictor and removed it's protruding washers before leaving the dealer. I got lucky in that the trunk gasket was not cut or badly deformed.

I replaced that thin wind restrictor with the x2 thicker GM approved version as shown. It mounts with Velco on the tulip just behind the seats. This one is a winner in my book.

If you wonder, neither type interferes with the up/down operation of the convertible top. There seems to be no reason to remove them, except to do an exceptional detailing job.

·
Registered
17,954 Posts
Like others have said, I fear the wind catching the trunk lid. I would much rather lift it myself to have control.

My used Sky purchase originally had the clear wind restrictor that mounts between the trunk lid and the tulip. That is a very bad product. I cannot recommend it. My trunk lid was too hard to get open because of the tight fit. The seller/dealer couldn't get the trunk open for me. It took both of us pulling up while a 3rd person pushed the release button. I tossed that wind restrictor and removed it's protruding washers before leaving the dealer. I got lucky in that the trunk gasket was not cut or badly deformed.

I replaced that thin wind restrictor with the x2 thicker GM approved version as shown. It mounts with Velco on the tulip just behind the seats. This one is a winner in my book.

If you wonder, neither type interferes with the up/down operation of the convertible top. There seems to be no reason to remove them, except to do an exceptional detailing job.
There really is no problem lifting the trunk lid with type 1...just hit the the fob a 2nd time and the trunk releases. EASY

·
Registered
29 Posts

Has anyone tried this?
I think I'm going to.
Great idea. Mine requires pushing the button and trying to get my finger under there to get it open. May not go with such a strong spring but a smaller spring may get it an inch or two up for me. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't care about lifting the trunk myself, problem is it doesn't keep raised if there is the slightest slope or breeze. I am going to try a couple of extension springs to help keep it open.

I have thought on devising something using cheap gas springs, similar to this but at a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
340 Posts

Has anyone tried this?
I think I'm going to.
If you do a search here this mod has been around a long time. I know for many it's a cheap fix for those that had trunk torsion springs that have failed. Otherwise personally if you just want your trunk to open completely with a push of a button I would do the trunk strut from Germany. It seems like a better idea for longevity and controlled open with wind resistance. I've eyeballed some basic trunk struts of the same size and wondered if you could just fab up a bracket to do the same.

·
Registered
890 Posts
There really is no problem lifting the trunk lid with type 1...just hit the the fob a 2nd time and the trunk releases. EASY
That was not the case with our Sky. It didn't matter how many "button pushes" we did. The rear deck lid remained tight to the vehicle. The dealer and I both assumed there was a malfunction with the release mechanism until after the Type-1 wind restrictor was removed.

Maybe the gap between the rear deck lid and tulip are tighter on my Sky than is typical. All I know is that with that wind restrictor gone for a while now, my gasket remains in good condition and looks proper with the deck lid closed, whether the convertible top is setup or in the trunk.

One thing about Kappas, there is "variation galore" concerning such things.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have had the 1st edition wind restrictor and the assist springs on my car for 12 years with zero issues. We have done many of the spring mods at our mod meets, in the past. Haven't done any the last coupe years. Some of the old mods we used to do don't seem to be that popular. Can't count how many side maker directional mods I've done and haven't done the garage door opener button in the windshield header mod in years now. I think the garage door opener is my favorite mod. But then anyone interested can look back at old post to accomplish these ancient mods.

Reactions: TomatoSoup

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you do a search here this mod has been around a long time. I know for many it's a cheap fix for those that had trunk torsion springs that have failed. Otherwise personally if you just want your trunk to open completely with a push of a button I would do the trunk strut from Germany. It seems like a better idea for longevity and controlled open with wind resistance. I've eyeballed some basic trunk struts of the same size and wondered if you could just fab up a bracket to do the same.
Out of curiosity, does anyone know the open and closed length of the strut used in the German trunk lift. I believe I can make my own brackets, just need the information on the strut.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Out of curiosity, does anyone know the open and closed length of the strut used in the German trunk lift. I believe I can make my own brackets, just need the information on the strut.
I recall that someone else did this - make his own brackets - and was going to post info on the results, but (as I recall) he never did. The strut part may have been posted though. Try a search here and on the Solstice forum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts