Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please enlighten me. Is the Redline engine turbo charged, or super charged or both? I thought turbo charged and super charged were the same thing. I never knew there was a difference until I read an article about the VW TSI engine which combines both - a super charger for low RPM and a turbo kicks in for for high RPM. Apparently a computer selects when to switch smoothly from one to the other to give torque and power across the whole RPM spectrum. The design sounds like the optimum for a small direct injection engine. Which engine is the Redline?

·
Registered
202 Posts
SKY redline is TURBO charged and additionally uses Variable Valve Timing and Direct Injection to achieve a frugal, yet powerful combination. Turbocharger is turned by the exhaust and has a moment of "lag" where the boost needs to build but is more fuel efficient and can create more boost pressure.

ION Redline is Supercharged and uses a belt to turn a supercharger to force air into the motor. Generally these are more responsive, but also use more engine power and gasoline and operate at a lower boost pressure.

see both at http://www.howstuffworks.com

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GMinTheDriveway said:
SKY redline is TURBO charged and additionally uses Variable Valve Timing and Direct Injection to achieve a frugal, yet powerful combination. Turbocharger is turned by the exhaust and has a moment of "lag" where the boost needs to build but is more fuel efficient and can create more boost pressure.

ION Redline is Supercharged and uses a belt to turn a supercharger to force air into the motor. Generally these are more responsive, but also use more engine power and gasoline and operate at a lower boost pressure.

see both at http://www.howstuffworks.com
Thanks GMinthedriveway. I have been enlightened.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As was already mentioned, supercharging is run off a pulley on the engine, while turbocharging is run off exhaust gases. I think the main difference here is when you make that extra power. Supercharging provides you with immediate, off-the-line power, low-end grunt so to speak. Turbocharging kicks in a bit later, because it has to "spool up" first. It gives you more high-end power through higher RPMs, for things like rapid acceleration in passing maneuvers. This is one reason why I do not have a big disadvantage when I race rallycross. Despite driving a non-supercharged Isuzu VehiCross against much faster turbocharged Subaru WRX Sti's and the like, the tight and twisty tracks keep speeds down enough that they never get into boost, so it is all about handling, not outright speed, and therefore sort of becomes anybody's game. Now in a rally sprint like ERS in Starke with long straightaways on forest roads where people get up to 90 mph... now there they have quite an advantage.

Also, supercharging increases temps under the hood, but turbocharging does so even more. I have seen pictures of the metal on a turbocharger glowing orange like liquid magma. I have read that the Redline will have larger vents in the front for this reason, but saw a pic in one of the auto mags and it didn't really look like those opening on the front fascia got any larger, and in fact I thought they made the car look worse because they lacked the chrome strip there that dresses up the regular Skys there. But maybe they screwed up and it was a stock photo of an earlier prototype Sky and not really a Redline. The hood vents are a nice touch and look to be of the extraction type, in other words air moving over the hood effectively sucks out the warm air underneath, as opposed to vents designed to really channel and force air in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts