Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please enlighten me. Is the Redline engine turbo charged, or super charged or both? I thought turbo charged and super charged were the same thing. I never knew there was a difference until I read an article about the VW TSI engine which combines both - a super charger for low RPM and a turbo kicks in for for high RPM. Apparently a computer selects when to switch smoothly from one to the other to give torque and power across the whole RPM spectrum. The design sounds like the optimum for a small direct injection engine. Which engine is the Redline?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GMinTheDriveway said:
SKY redline is TURBO charged and additionally uses Variable Valve Timing and Direct Injection to achieve a frugal, yet powerful combination. Turbocharger is turned by the exhaust and has a moment of "lag" where the boost needs to build but is more fuel efficient and can create more boost pressure.

ION Redline is Supercharged and uses a belt to turn a supercharger to force air into the motor. Generally these are more responsive, but also use more engine power and gasoline and operate at a lower boost pressure.

see both at http://www.howstuffworks.com
Thanks GMinthedriveway. I have been enlightened.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.