Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running along all these neat products and they're bringing up a lot of questions for my curious mind :D so anyway, anyone seen anything like this before? is this recommended if you have a turbo? can cooling down a turbo too quickly actually damage it? anyone care to tutor me? :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
101jinx101 said:
I'm running along all these neat products and they're bringing up a lot of questions for my curious mind :D so anyway, anyone seen anything like this before? is this recommended if you have a turbo? can cooling down a turbo too quickly actually damage it? anyone care to tutor me? :D
Well yes, if you run the car hard then throw a bucket of ice water on it you could ruin the turbo.... but the same thing could be said of any engine block.

If you run the car hard you should let it idle for a few minutes so it can cool down, otherwise you might have problems with the oil overheating in the turbo and "cooking" the bearings... Basically the oil will break down, but using synthetic oils helps prevent that also.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I know with Diesels (my buddy's F-350 SD) that he has to let it idle for a while after stopping so that the Turbo can cool down. Not too sure how it would be in a small car...I doubt it, but I really have no idea.

·
Registered
231 Posts
CdnSkyGuy said:
I know with Diesels (my buddy's F-350 SD) that he has to let it idle for a while after stopping so that the Turbo can cool down. Not too sure how it would be in a small car...I doubt it, but I really have no idea.
Same thing. Turbo timers allow you to let the car idle when you park it for a set amount of time in order to allow the turbo to cool.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mallard said:
Same thing. Turbo timers allow you to let the car idle when you park it for a set amount of time in order to allow the turbo to cool.
I thought turbo timers circulated oil after the car was shut off for a set amount of time ?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
probably different kinds or something, but thanks for the quick response :D I think i'll pick that up once I turbo my 2.4L :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
soslowgtp said:
I thought turbo timers circulated oil after the car was shut off for a set amount of time ?
Nope. They just allow the car to idle for a set amount of time before shutting off automatically. It allows you to take the key out and walk away without turning a hot car off. It does circulate oil, but that's only because the car is running.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
There was a problem with turbos cooking the oil and freezing the bearings, but with the oil and intercoolers, that is generally a thing of the past. My Duramax diesel has cool down period required. That being said, aftermarket turbos are a whole other ballpark. Different options, performance and build levels, etc. and you might have porblems you really don't want.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mallard said:
Nope. They just allow the car to idle for a set amount of time before shutting off automatically. It allows you to take the key out and walk away without turning a hot car off. It does circulate oil, but that's only because the car is running.
Correct, I had a greddy turbo timer, does exactly this. There is no mechanical aspect to a turbo times, just basically an ignition timer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts