Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recognizing that the turbo achieves better gas mileage than standard, it had me thinking what is the gas cost savings over time...

So based on a few key assumptions:
1) Car is driven 12,000 per year.
2) I averaged the City & Highway MPG... So base is 24mpg, and RL 25.5mpg
3) Based on gas being $3 per gallon (Price in the Philly area right now)

Simple math...
12000 divided by 24 = 500 gallons X 3.00 = $1500 gas cost per year, base
12000 divdided by 25.5 = 470.5 gallons X 3.00 = 1411 gas cost per year, RL
Rounded up... a $90 savings per year with the RL!!!

So... considering the $3700 difference in base price (27895 - 24195)...
$3700 divided by $90

In just 41 short years, the Redline package will pay for itself!!!
Plus... considering that gas will go up in that time, and therefore increasing the savings.... the turbo will prob pay for itself in 20-30 years!!!
As if the turbo alone wasn't enough to make the jump up, now we got this going for us!!!! :cheers:

But.... truthfully for me
1) I then have to add back in that driving a turbo I am prob going to accelerate a lot faster, and drive faster, burning more gas and probably washing out any of those savings.....
2) also add to that i dont expect to drive 12,000 per year, as during the Philly winters the RL will spend most of its time off the road.. But who knows maybe I make up for the winter down time by driving in the summer twice as much!

:lol:

·
Registered
380 Posts
I doubt that anyone is buying a Redline to save $90.00 per year on gas. I am buying it so that I can kick it if I feel like it. It would be nice to go up some hills without downshiftg so often and pass a truck on a two lane quickly. That alone may save a life. Plus I believe that if the Redline is anything like the BMW "M" cars, the value will hold much better and depreciate less than a standard Sky.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since you'll win more races with the redline...

PaulWalker said:
And I get the respect. To some people that means more.
How much is that worth to you? :D

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ahnuld said:
.....So... considering the $3700 difference in base price (27895 - 24195)...$3700 divided by $90
In just 41 short years, the Redline package will pay for itself!!!
Plus... considering that gas will go up in that time, and therefore increasing the savings.... the turbo will prob pay for itself in 20-30 years!!!....
Come over to Germany and you can cut the time to less then 20 years: premium 95 just about $ 6.50 :banghead:
And if you consider the future increasing ..... :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
kinda reminds me of an old joke.

A guy is talking to his buddy about his car.

"Yeah, I put headers on it and I 10% better gas milage. I put in those new fancy spark plugs and got another 5%. I tweeked the carb and got some more. reprogrammed the chip ..." etc. etc.
"... Got to the point where I was saving so much gas, I had to pullover every couple miles and siphon some off!"

Dale.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts