Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well today I had interesting conversations with my service advisers AND 2 Sky Technicians. It really made me think whether I want to peice meal together for a cost of more less 4000-5000 for really no real "super power" if you will on our Ecos. OR--Ta-DA--Why not add our own Turbo? to the 2.4??:thumbs: Apparently this power plant is created for much power. Not only that there are different levels and versions, that my friends IS impressive!! If anything our base Sky are under powered by at least 3-4 times of what they can be upgraded to, or power potential. Here is one of supporting vendors offerings (which they showed me there at the dealer)

http://www.hahnracecraft.com/ProjectVehicles/New_Folder/Solstice.htm

Scroll down now granted it says SOL, but ah, ain't our engines identical??:thumbs: The stage 4 impresses the hell out me, will eat an R/L for lunch--350WHP?? WOW--My only problem? They don't post prices, on another option, you need 100 octane--wow, shell no sell, guess who sell 100 octane in the USA??

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
Sunoco up here has 100 octane at one of thier stations, but last time i went it was 8 bucks a gallon.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sunoco up here has 100 octane at one of thier stations, but last time i went it was 8 bucks a gallon.
Winner--You have won a yours expensed paid trip to Florida---Congradulations!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Well today I had interesting conversations with my service advisers AND 2 Sky Technicians. It really made me think whether I want to peice meal together for a cost of more less 4000-5000 for really no real "super power" if you will on our Ecos. OR--Ta-DA--Why not add our own Turbo? to the 2.4??:thumbs: Apparently this power plant is created for much power. Not only that there are different levels and versions, that my friends IS impressive!! If anything our base Sky are under powered by at least 3-4 times of what they can be upgraded to, or power potential. Here is one of supporting vendors offerings (which they showed me there at the dealer)

http://www.hahnracecraft.com/ProjectVehicles/New_Folder/Solstice.htm

Scroll down now granted it says SOL, but ah, ain't our engines identical??:thumbs: The stage 4 impresses the hell out me, will eat an R/L for lunch--350WHP?? WOW--My only problem? They don't post prices, on another option, you need 100 octane--wow, shell no sell, guess who sell 100 octane in the USA??
When adding the HAHN turbo, you have to upgrade the radiator, bigger clutch assy, etc. or is that figured into the price. I know several SOL owner running the Hahn and it is very impressive. A few SOL Hahn turbo ownwrs on the SOL Forum, lot's of info to be gathered there.

www.solsticeforum.com

www.solsticeforum.com:thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
11,586 Posts
I had the distinct pleasure of driving a Hahn Stage II Turbo Solstice at the last impromptu Kappy meet here in So Cal. (The member is on the Sol forum and for the life of me I can't remember his name...BEAUTIFUL car...it's the black...err...mysterious Sol with Lambo doors...)

Anyway, the car is very fun to drive and the turbo really picks up the peppiness of the car. The great thing is it is still street managable meaning the everyday driving road maners of the car have not been compromised. Compare that to my Grand Prix (Hopfully somewhere between 400-450 WHP) which will light up the tires with a stab of the throttle at anything below 60 mph and it makes for a very good street/strip ride.

The LS7 Mallet Solstice we saw on the same run (drooooooooooooooooooool) sounded great but as the owner said (After he told us he could beat his buddy's car...a Dodge Viper RT/10) that in third gear, on the freeway, flooring it would start a tremendous smoke show. Trust me, for an everyday driver...while exciting here and there...it is not always fun. (Think rain...)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a Hahn Turbo in my 2.4 SKY

Absolutely the best bang for the buck!

As far as radiator upgrades and clutch upgrades ... neither are necessary. I have chosen to add a Stage 2 Kevlar performance clutch to my car which is awaiting installation when this one gives out.

This is what I ran in street trim using a Belltronics G-Meter:

13.85 1/4 mile
4.90 0-60

If you dump the clutch, you will smoke your tires all the way through 1st, half way through second and by the time you hit 4th your hitting 100+ miles an hour.

It changes everything.

I was told that because of the weight difference on the Mallet LS conversions, you don't get full advantage of the greater horsepower because of the HP to weight ratio ... and, because the motor is heavier it changes the weight transfer ratio and makes the car have less traction on hard acceleration. I've been told they handle more like the tail light GT mustangs after this conversion.

I'm verty pleased with my Hahn Stage 2 turbo and would suggest anyone who wants a beast of a car that can keep up and beat most anything production made, it is a hell of a deal.

:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well to add to this informative thread I inquired about my warranty IF any of these turbos are considered/purchased & installed- Thats when the "other" shoe dropped. Well, I will AND can install "anything" you want on your Sky, whether the mag-flow, Cat-back, Turbo it no matter--Of course depending on what you install, some, like the turbo replaces many OEM parts--BUT ahh there is a catch--I have to fill out a "waiver form"-or "disclaimer from", He did not show me form, nor elaborate on it, nor could I get specifics on what it says (he then got busy with other customers). I guess next time I will ask for the form--BUT, I will assume that, it gives Saturn away out lets say if I blow the engine up with these 3rd party upgrades--especially with a stage 4 turbo I would think--We also talked little bit about the mallett stuff, apparently with the V8 you also have to replace the rear end, if I understood correctly it has to be a LSD. As for the tranny, it looks like the auto can handle any of the hahns turbos--since it is the 5-speed auto--I guess I need to get even more details--:confused:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Absolutely the best bang for the buck!

As far as radiator upgrades and clutch upgrades ... neither are necessary. I have chosen to add a Stage 2 Kevlar performance clutch to my car which is awaiting installation when this one gives out.

This is what I ran in street trim using a Belltronics G-Meter:

13.85 1/4 mile
4.90 0-60

If you dump the clutch, you will smoke your tires all the way through 1st, half way through second and by the time you hit 4th your hitting 100+ miles an hour.

It changes everything.

I was told that because of the weight difference on the Mallet LS conversions, you don't get full advantage of the greater horsepower because of the HP to weight ratio ... and, because the motor is heavier it changes the weight transfer ratio and makes the car have less traction on hard acceleration. I've been told they handle more like the tail light GT mustangs after this conversion.

I'm verty pleased with my Hahn Stage 2 turbo and would suggest anyone who wants a beast of a car that can keep up and beat most anything production made, it is a hell of a deal.

:thumbs:
If I may ask, how much for the S2? Apparently you can keep OEM on "some" of these upgrades. Do or did you have your original LSD? Or was that changed also? can assume on your manual it was OEM-Finally, I hear, that with my OEM auto, no real changes--All I need is to select which turbo I want--Opinions and thoughts pls? thanks MB

·
Registered
39 Posts
If I may ask, how much for the S2? Apparently you can keep OEM on "some" of these upgrades. Do or did you have your original LSD? Or was that changed also? can assume on your manual it was OEM-Finally, I hear, that with my OEM auto, no real changes--All I need is to select which turbo I want--Opinions and thoughts pls? thanks MB
LSD was one of the upgrades I selected when I ordered the car. I think you will be very happy with the way the automatic will perform with the turbo. I chose to upgrade my BOV from the S2 kit to a GReddy performance series BOV. Now I can shift (without power shifting) and not lose boost between gears. This provided a far better result as the turbo did not have to "spool-up" after each gear change.

$3995 was the cost of the turbo kit.
BTW:

S3 and S4 are not yet available.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hahn turbo

Texas in the summer is HOT. I didn't like running 220 degrees!

I pulled the nose and trimmed the foam off the bumper to let more air come through the grills.

I have 3" flex tube pulling air from in front of the front wheel wells - one to the turbo, other to the CAI.

I cut a 4" x 18" section out of the bottom of the nose to get more air to the intercooler.

I'm waiting for the heat shield and Power Steering res. re-mount kit from Hahn.

I installed the 'werks' radiator.

Will probably cut the fender vents and make them functional.

Our cars have a 180 thermostat and the DIC will show 189 to 190 as the thermostat opens. I have not been able to find a 160 unit, but I'm looking and will change out when I find one.

At this point (in cool weather) mine runs (@ 70mph) @ 190 heater off & 194 heater on. If I jump on it (100mph), the temp goes to 205 but by the time I coast down to 50 the temp on the DIC is back at 190.

It is not necessary to change the clutch with a stage II - if you go stage III you may want to go easy on the launches and don't put bigger rubber on the ground for traction - the clutch will likely slip. Clutch (and internals) are a must for stage IV!

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LSD was one of the upgrades I selected when I ordered the car. I think you will be very happy with the way the automatic will perform with the turbo. I chose to upgrade my BOV from the S2 kit to a GReddy performance series BOV. Now I can shift (without power shifting) and not lose boost between gears. This provided a far better result as the turbo did not have to "spool-up" after each gear change.

$3995 was the cost of the turbo kit.
BTW:

S3 and S4 are not yet available.
Roger, thanks very much for your response, now its a matter of decision making and whether I want to "invest" in this upgrade. Because if what you say is true, a LSD change "should be used" altho, if my understanding is correct my standard rear end should be able to handle the S2 turbo? what do you think? BTW who installed your rig? dealer or 3rd party?

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Texas in the summer is HOT. I didn't like running 220 degrees!

I pulled the nose and trimmed the foam off the bumper to let more air come through the grills.

I have 3" flex tube pulling air from in front of the front wheel wells - one to the turbo, other to the CAI.

I cut a 4" x 18" section out of the bottom of the nose to get more air to the intercooler.

I'm waiting for the heat shield and Power Steering res. re-mount kit from Hahn.

I installed the 'werks' radiator.

Will probably cut the fender vents and make them functional.

Our cars have a 180 thermostat and the DIC will show 189 to 190 as the thermostat opens. I have not been able to find a 160 unit, but I'm looking and will change out when I find one.

At this point (in cool weather) mine runs (@ 70mph) @ 190 heater off & 194 heater on. If I jump on it (100mph), the temp goes to 205 but by the time I coast down to 50 the temp on the DIC is back at 190.

It is not necessary to change the clutch with a stage II - if you go stage III you may want to go easy on the launches and don't put bigger rubber on the ground for traction - the clutch will likely slip. Clutch (and internals) are a must for stage IV!
Whoa even tho broken up--I understand every word you said, Thanks man for your reply!!yeehaa:thumbs:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Roger, thanks very much for your response, now its a matter of decision making and whether I want to "invest" in this upgrade. Because if what you say is true, a LSD change "should be used" altho, if my understanding is correct my standard rear end should be able to handle the S2 turbo? what do you think? BTW who installed your rig? dealer or 3rd party?
I did it myself.

:cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
tmrpro

Your set-up looks good! Have you done 1/4 mile numbers?

I'll do stage III and add the hi-flo cat and GReddy BOV at that time.

Keeping the body stock except for a 4" x 18" cut-out in the lower nose peice to feed more air to the I/C.

I bought a 'turbo' badge at a VW dealer and put it below the license plate in back!:D

:cheers:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Don't forget to add the cost of comming out of pocket to pay for repairs at the dealer because adding the turbo voided your factory warranty.....not to mention that for those of you in a warmer climate (over 100 degree days) having a turbo might actually hurt preformance based on how much hot air ur suckin in, even with an intercooler..... Just stuff to think about, definately do your homework first! :D

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have one question. What is the rating on the auto transmission??? HP and TQ.

·
Registered
87 Posts
my very good friend (turbosol) on the solstice forum has that Hahn kit on his car.....he was the first one to get the stage 2 kit from Hahn.......my honest opinion was that the stage 2 was pretty weak for the money but when he upgraded to the stage 3 that thing really made a huge difference and if i recall going from stage 2 to 3 was just a matter of adding more fuel (fuel pump, etc.) but it was a jump of almost 80 hp over the stage 2 kit.....he is very happy with Hahnracecraft.com and all of the support they give him.....as far as the radiator and other changes that is untrue......the kit directions are very detailed and pretty easy to put on.......they are currently working on some redline kits now........i would imagine we should get the redline in the low 13s for under $1000..........also would like to note that the redlines have an adjustable wastegate right from the factory:D

·
Super Moderator
11,586 Posts
Don't forget to add the cost of comming out of pocket to pay for repairs at the dealer because adding the turbo voided your factory warranty.....not to mention that for those of you in a warmer climate (over 100 degree days) having a turbo might actually hurt preformance based on how much hot air ur suckin in, even with an intercooler..... Just stuff to think about, definately do your homework first! :D
With a proper setup this should NEVER happen. Living in Riverside, CA we see temps in the summer of over 110. I run a supercharger on my Grand Prix and even overdriving the Supercharger with a smaller pulley, actually the smallest you can put on without machining the snout down for clearance, I can run no problem in the heat of the day with no knock (which is what kills power). Like any modification you have to have the basic groundwork to get the most out of it. Like has been said about the Hahn Stage III vs. Stage II, a fuel upgrade nets you more power because the system can now support a greater volume of air.

But I do agree about the warranty issue. One thing keeping me away from adding any major power adder

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
But I do agree about the warranty issue. One thing keeping me away from adding any major power adder
:agree: :agree: Yup yup, thats my hang-up also. I guess I will "investigate" even further, and actually ask for a copy of this disclaimer paper that I have to sign if I have them do any more upgrades, esp 3rd party. Unless you have deep pockets (which I don't, I work for a living), modifying these cars up-the gazoo for a rich guy prolly can care less about warranty. But ah, for us working types, it is essential that we preserve this warranty--Still tho, would like to read this form to "specifically" see what you do lose. :confused:

Also looks like Saturn is and will be slowly coming out with their own versions of some these upgrades, only time will tell, but obviously if you use their stuff, warranty stays intact--food for thought. MB

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
:agree: :agree: Yup yup, thats my hang-up also. I guess I will "investigate" even further, and actually ask for a copy of this disclaimer paper that I have to sign if I have them do any more upgrades, esp 3rd party. Unless you have deep pockets (which I don't, I work for a living), modifying these cars up-the gazoo for a rich guy prolly can care less about warranty. But ah, for us working types, it is essential that we preserve this warranty--Still tho, would like to read this form to "specifically" see what you do lose. :confused:

Also looks like Saturn is and will be slowly coming out with their own versions of some these upgrades, only time will tell, but obviously if you use their stuff, warranty stays intact--food for thought. MB
I'd be weary of any type of disclaimer form. I've never heard of that before. In a nut shell, you can do whatever you want to your car... its your car.
the law says that if there is a failure that they cannot void your entire warranty but they can chose not to cover that particular failure if it is the result of a mod that you did.

Of course, adding a 242whp turbo pretty much opens up the floodgates for them to void just about anything that goes wrong with the drivetrain.

I don't quite understand what a disclaimer is for. All I can think of is that its some sort of documentation that lets them off the hook entirely, maybe has a line in there saying that you void the warranty or something. No disclaimer should be necessary except maybe to cover their butt and screw you over.

I'm curious to what it says... let me know if when you get a copy but I bet a dollar that its not in favor to you and totally unneccessary under current law.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts