Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,542 Posts
Is if for the NA? Do you have pics and is it used? How much?
It CAN be for the 2.4 engine (LE5) IF you've done a turbo kit like mine on it already that uses all the parts from the 2.0 Turbo engine (LNF). This turbo is a direct swap for the stock K04 Turbo found on the LNF but if you have a stock LE5, you would need this turbo plus all the other parts necessary to put a turbo on the LE5.

To find out what else you'd need, see this thread:
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f25/lnf-turbo-le5-68089/

At the top of the second page of that thread is a list of all the parts you'd need to put a kit like this together yourself (or just buy it completely from RPM Motorsports and save the hassle of looking for everything...)

·
Registered
126 Posts
It CAN be for the 2.4 engine (LE5) IF you've done a turbo kit like mine on it already that uses all the parts from the 2.0 Turbo engine (LNF). This turbo is a direct swap for the stock K04 Turbo found on the LNF but if you have a stock LE5, you would need this turbo plus all the other parts necessary to put a turbo on the LE5.

To find out what else you'd need, see this thread:
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f25/lnf-turbo-le5-68089/

At the top of the second page of that thread is a list of all the parts you'd need to put a kit like this together yourself (or just buy it completely from RPM Motorsports and save the hassle of looking for everything...)
You say you did it for $1000 but the list of all the parts is over 6K. I know you got stuff for free but do you think you can build your own system for less than RPM charges for the bolt on?

·
Super Moderator
11,542 Posts
You say you did it for $1000 but the list of all the parts is over 6K. I know you got stuff for free but do you think you can build your own system for less than RPM charges for the bolt on?
Honestly, I don't think you can unless you get very lucky. My list was all at MSRP so if you can get the parts for far less (or free) then maybe but really RPM's kit is the least expensive kit unless you get really lucky.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I know after I get to the track one more time with mine this spring (hopefully I'll get low 13's after the hfc) instead of going the bigger turbo route I'm going to go with the e47 ethanol tune! I wonder why most folks who like the performance of their trifecta tunes, but "think it needs a little more" don't just try the e47 route. From everything I've read it really does seem to hit the spot for most. I do understand those that don't have ethanol, but for the ones that do it really seems like a good choice!

I've seen dynos in the 330-350 range and torque all the way in the 400 ft lbs range. I already know that will be all that I'll ever need on mine. It should also hopefully get me in the 12's with stockish (non drag radial) tires (I'm hoping anyway). That's all I really ever wanted for my car.

These turbo upgrades seem like they would typically be overkill if folks only think their trifecta tuned kappas just need a "little more umpf." Maybe it's just me I dunno...lol...

·
Super Moderator
11,542 Posts
I know after I get to the track one more time with mine this spring (hopefully I'll get low 13's after the hfc) instead of going the bigger turbo route I'm going to go with the e47 ethanol tune! I wonder why most folks who like the performance of their trifecta tunes, but "think it needs a little more" don't just try the e47 route. From everything I've read it really does seem to hit the spot for most. I do understand those that don't have ethanol, but for the ones that do it really seems like a good choice!

I've seen dynos in the 330-350 range and torque all the way in the 400 ft lbs range. I already know that will be all that I'll ever need on mine. It should also hopefully get me in the 12's with stockish (non drag radial) tires (I'm hoping anyway). That's all I really ever wanted for my car.

These turbo upgrades seem like they would typically be overkill if folks only think their trifecta tuned kappas just need a "little more umpf." Maybe it's just me I dunno...lol...
E45 is a pain in the butt for most people is why it's not as popular. You can't go up to a gas station and fill with E47 to my knowledge, you have to blend it. This means that you need to only fill your tank when it's almost empty or be extra festidigeous when filling to get the two quantities of fuel just right. Hard? No, but far more work than your average person is willing to do on a regular basis. Even meth turns most folks off as it has to be refilled.

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
Meaning if you personally don't have the ability to fix it, make it work, it most likely never will. I have been fighting it for over a year now. The only real answer is to pull all the crap off the car and throw in in the trash, that is the only way, but the possibility of internal damage done from this will most likely rear its ugly head then.

I ran into several people at the National that had the exact same problems with their Turbo upgrades and their clutch upgrade. The vendor just shruggs his shoulders and walks away, it has happened to me twice, you would think after the first bend over I would have learned. Tread carefully.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Skersfan, reading your thread is what made me feel that way. I'd much rather have to use two different pumps half and half at fill up than to have to go through the nightmare that you are going through!

That is a pain! Regarding the clutch...once I stopped trying to be cute and just bought the spec stage 3 clutch and flywheel I've had no problems! If recommend to anyone to just go with my setup if they need to hold the power.

Mix and match clutch kits are a crapshoot. He'll it was a nightmare When I tried to go the spec stage 3 and stock flywheel route. The machining on the stock flywheel was just a hair off and my clutch would slip for the first 500 rpms in every gear before finally holding.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
If you have access to E85 its super easy to blend it.
Just add the same amount of 93 Octane and E85 everytime.
If you get caught at a non E85 gas station and are empty juat flip to a 93 OctAne tune until you can reblend.
When first going for the mix, you can err on putting a little too much E85. Wont hurt if the Octane is too high and if its only 1 gallon off, it wont affect fuel delivery

The problem with E85 is the fuel injectors. The stock seals need to be replaced or they will eventually fail.
Thats not an easy job for some people, but its really not hard.

Also need to be careful with the stock valve springs and high revs.

Personally I loved my 2871 kit. It was as easy to maintain as stock. I did have help from a super talented Tuner, but he is no longer doing that.

The completely crappy EFR kit and crappy engine build was the ultimate downfall of my Sky. I am with Skersfan
Stay away from that vendor

·
Super Moderator
11,542 Posts
If you have access to E85 its super easy to blend it.
Just add the same amount of 93 Octane and E85 everytime.
If you get caught at a non E85 gas station and are empty juat flip to a 93 OctAne tune until you can reblend.
When first going for the mix, you can err on putting a little too much E85. Wont hurt if the Octane is too high and if its only 1 gallon off, it wont affect fuel delivery

The problem with E85 is the fuel injectors. The stock seals need to be replaced or they will eventually fail.
Thats not an easy job for some people, but its really not hard.

Also need to be careful with the stock valve springs and high revs.
Like I said, not hard but most folks just would rather not mess with it and for me personally, unless there is some sort of fail safe (lower boost, different tune, etc) I wouldn't want to run a car tuned for E45 or E85 on 93 (or worse, 91 like we have here). That's been one of the big factors keeping me away from E85. For the 2.4 I can throw bigger injectors on it so I could run straight E85 but we don't have a lot of stations around here with it yet on my commute to make me comfortable with switching it entirely (my injector seals and return lines are all E85 ready).

Now, if I could find an easy way to switch between an E85 tune and a 91 tune without changing injectors or reflashing the car, I'd be in.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Like I said, not hard but most folks just would rather not mess with it and for me personally, unless there is some sort of fail safe (lower boost, different tune, etc) I wouldn't want to run a car tuned for E45 or E85 on 93 (or worse, 91 like we have here). That's been one of the big factors keeping me away from E85. For the 2.4 I can throw bigger injectors on it so I could run straight E85 but we don't have a lot of stations around here with it yet on my commute to make me comfortable with switching it entirely (my injector seals and return lines are all E85 ready).

Now, if I could find an easy way to switch between an E85 tune and a 91 tune without changing injectors or reflashing the car, I'd be in.
If the Trifeca tune can be switched between stock and the performance tune, why couldn't that be done with a E47 and 91 octane tune?

·
Vendor
695 Posts
If the Trifeca tune can be switched between stock and the performance tune, why couldn't that be done with a E47 and 91 octane tune?
Trifecta will set up a E47 tune and a 91 octane tune for you, but it requires you to flash the car for each tune, it can not be done in the same manner as the select-a-tune option like the base tunes have.

If you want that little something more, water/meth works almost as well as E85. With the water/meth controllers we set up the output of the controller to ground the boost solenoid on the factory turbo if it runs out of fluid or if there is a fault. That way when you run out, the system reverts back to spring pressure on the K04 and causes a check engine light to come up. Once you refill the fluid or fix the fault, turn the key off and back on and the system goes back to working like normal. We have tuned a lot of the systems now using -20 windshield washer fluid which is cheap and available at most gas stations, except for those of you in the southwest. Works well and does not affect your gas mileage like E85 plus it adds the benefit of keeping your intake valves cleaner. Just another option to consider.

·
Super Moderator
11,542 Posts
Trifecta will set up a E47 tune and a 91 octane tune for you, but it requires you to flash the car for each tune, it can not be done in the same manner as the select-a-tune option like the base tunes have.

If you want that little something more, water/meth works almost as well as E85. With the water/meth controllers we set up the output of the controller to ground the boost solenoid on the factory turbo if it runs out of fluid or if there is a fault. That way when you run out, the system reverts back to spring pressure on the K04 and causes a check engine light to come up. Once you refill the fluid or fix the fault, turn the key off and back on and the system goes back to working like normal. We have tuned a lot of the systems now using -20 windshield washer fluid which is cheap and available at most gas stations, except for those of you in the southwest. Works well and does not affect your gas mileage like E85 plus it adds the benefit of keeping your intake valves cleaner. Just another option to consider.
This is why I've been leaning more towards going meth if my next round of upgrades aren't enough. I understand with the 2.4 ECM it's a bit different but my boost controller is setup to work with a meth controller.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts