Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this has been addresses before..............

Can anyone tell me if the turbo engine has a history? What can you tell me about it? I ordered a BEAUTIFUL green base sky and it came in last week. The original plan was to keep it for a year and then buy the turbo when it came out. But now that the turbo is coming out THIS fall, I gave up the green sky. Did I make a mistake?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think the turbo was originally developed by the Germans sometime prior to the second world war, beyond that... - Oh... nevermind, sorry - If i do'nt buy a Redline i will do an aftermarket turbo on my Sky.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The turbocharger was invented by a Swiss engineer around the time of WWI.
The Germans didn't use turbos in their planes, as I recall (the P39 Lightning was
turbocharged) mainly because of their inability to obtain the required heat
resistent metals.

·
Registered
727 Posts
jnag698 said:
Maybe this has been addresses before..............

Can anyone tell me if the turbo engine has a history? What can you tell me about it? I ordered a BEAUTIFUL green base sky and it came in last week. The original plan was to keep it for a year and then buy the turbo when it came out. But now that the turbo is coming out THIS fall, I gave up the green sky. Did I make a mistake?
GM has been running turbocharged ecotec engines in one form or another for some time in Saab 9-3's, and some Euro market Opels. This particular engine in the Redline will be "new" in that it is a new version of a turbo ecotec, and will implement direct gas injection. However, it is not like it will be the first ever ecotec with a turbo.

Your biggest problem may be getting a redline. Production is limited, and demand will be high. Best of luck!

With 260 HP, I think you will be pleased with the turbo once you get it!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Fformula88 said:
GM has been running turbocharged ecotec engines in one form or another for some time in Saab 9-3's, and some Euro market Opels. This particular engine in the Redline will be "new" in that it is a new version of a turbo ecotec, and will implement direct gas injection. However, it is not like it will be the first ever ecotec with a turbo.

Your biggest problem may be getting a redline. Production is limited, and demand will be high. Best of luck!

With 260 HP, I think you will be pleased with the turbo once you get it!
Yeah, it may be called an Ecotec turbo but it's completely different from anything they have done so far. It's direct injection, has different rods, pistons, head, fuel delivery (pump, rail, and injectors), and even a different block. (These are GenII's)

For this reason I wouldn't judge the performance/reliability of this engine by looking at the Saab's. Not that I think there will be any problems with this engine, but refraining from comparing them to the Saab's will keep the "but on the Saab..." threads from popping up later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts