Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a car I was working on a while back and I had the common problem of the turn signal not canceling once I made a turn. I swapped in a new stock only to find it did the same. Once more I switched out the stock with a different one and it to failed to work. After some thought I decide to see if the clock spring tape was broken but to my surprise it was intact. I then removed the clock spring to find that the ring on the back had become unattached from the housing. There were no broken tabs so I snapped the ring back in and turn signal cancel problem was fixed. I thought I would share this info to help out the next one that encounters the same problem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
08 Redline. RPM"s CAI, charge pipes, Intercooler, CAT delete & ECM Tune. DIY tunnel brace. ProBeam.
184 Posts
Suddenly, I have a misbehaving turn signal. Left won't stay engaged, right won't disengage, the usual ticking going on inside when turning the wheel (as if the signal is trying to disengage) and every now and then I hear a little squeak. @Hoosier GXP, did you ever get any of that noise before fixing the clockspring?

Also, should i assume you removed the whole steering wheel to get to the clockspring? If so, is removing really just as easy as getting rid of all power to the car (disconnect battery for 30+ mins), pushing on the two pins under the wheel and removing the airbag? seems too good to be true.😨

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Suddenly, I have a misbehaving turn signal. Left won't stay engaged, right won't disengage, the usual ticking going on inside when turning the wheel (as if the signal is trying to disengage) and every now and then I hear a little squeak. @Hoosier GXP, did you ever get any of that noise before fixing the clockspring?

Also, should i assume you removed the whole steering wheel to get to the clockspring? If so, is removing really just as easy as getting rid of all power to the car (disconnect battery for 30+ mins), pushing on the two pins under the wheel and removing the airbag? seems too good to be true.😨
I didn't hear any noise that I remember but access to the clock spring is as you described simply remove the airbag and and access to the clock spring is pretty simple after that.

·
Premium Member
08 Redline. RPM"s CAI, charge pipes, Intercooler, CAT delete & ECM Tune. DIY tunnel brace. ProBeam.
184 Posts
Thanks to FedEx losing my shipment (again) for my clock spring, I decided to just replace the stalk. That was the problem! Now I wish I could cancel the shipment and return the clockspring. Oh well - another part for the shelf.

For those who need to do this replacement:
* Make sure the tabs on the top and bottom actually engage* Otherwise, the canceling mechanism will not work consistently as the stalk gets pushed out instead of the internal mechanism disengaging. I was able to replace without dropping the column, but it is a very tight fit to the point I was doubtful.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks for this. It just started happening to me this week (left won't stay engaged).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts