Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 08 Redline with turn signal not disengaging. After online research heard it was the turn signal stalk. Bought new and replaced TWICE with same result. What else can it be?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sometimes it’s an easy fix and you r/r and flip the spring. There are many YouTube videos showing how to do that.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Sometimes it’s an easy fix and you r/r and flip the spring. There are many YouTube videos showing how to do that.
You make an interesting point. The clock spring might be "out of position". Remove the air bag and steering wheel and set the clock spring into proper orientation while setting the steering wheel back on and retry.

I replaced my steering wheel a year ago and recall positioning the clock spring, but I can't recall specific details.

One thing about removing your steering wheel.......
I found O'Reilly Auto Parts the only place in these parts that sell the right steering wheel puller at an affordable price. Not all pullers are the same. THIS ONE with the two little hooks works on the Sky and is affordable. If you don't find a puller with these specific hooks, don't waste your time. Also, a variety of gear pullers I had on-hand didn't help me either. Trust me...don't mess around....just buy that specific puller.

One more tip. The steering wheel has many splines that interlock to the steering shaft, BUT it goes on only in one position. Do NOT worry about setting the steering wheel off center to the left or right because there is a fat spline that allows the steering wheel to slide over in ONLY ONE specific position.

·
Administrator
7,202 Posts
I bought my 08 Redline with turn signal not disengaging. After online research heard it was the turn signal stalk. Bought new and replaced TWICE with same result. What else can it be?
A very common problem is to install the stalk slightly out of position, so that it is not in line with the cam that disengages it. There have been several instances of this, and it simply requires more careful installation. It is also always a good idea to test the function before completely reassembling the interior.

Just guessing here.....maybe it's the clock spring.
The "clockspring" isn't really a spring, it is the wiring device that connects the steering wheel to the car body, and it has nothing to do with the turn signals.

The spring in question is a leaf spring that is inside the stalk. Flipping it is a temporary fix at best, as the spring is already weak and will simply relax again. Given the low cost of the new stalk, and the time needed for disassembly and reassembly, it makes a lot more sense to me to simply replace it. Also, in my case for instance, there was actually a broken piece inside the stalk, so flipping the spring would not have helped.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
You never mentioned if it worked for a while after replacing before breaking again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You never mentioned if it worked for a while after replacing before breaking again.
It never worked. Not with the original nor with the other 2 replacements. Now they say its the clock spring, so that will be going in next Saturday while keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
FWIW: We bought our Sky with a cracked turn signal stalk that still did it's job but was unpredictable "resetting" itself after completing a turn. Later that year I replaced the turn signal assembly because of the cracked stalk which by chance also solved the "reset" issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can shed some light on this problem. I also replace my stalk and had the same issue as you. I took off the steering wheel and removed the clock spring. It turns out the back of the clock spring was off . That back part of the clock spring has the trigger that disengages the turn signal stalk. I snapped the back together to the body of the clock spring and all is good. If it falls off again, I will crazy glue it on or buy a new clock spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts