Saturn Skyline Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read that this is a common problem and that the remedy is to install a new one. I found some stalks on ebay with oem number 20940099 do you think this one fits all Kappa's? I have an Opel GT.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turn signal does not return - Fixed

I looked at the video posted in the Kappa performance forum and got some inspiration to examine the switch more closely.
Hoped that I would find the same problem as in this video with the small spring but it was worse. It was obvious that one of the plastic pieces inside was broken.

After a lot of thinking and fiddling with the stalk I decided to try to glue the broken piece to the base of the stalk.
(Cause the movement of the white plastic part against the base made no sense to me why it should be there in the first place.)
Its a very strong spring that is embraced by the two tabs on the plastic piece and I totally understand how it can break because the spring force on the tabs are really high.

To be sure that the plastic piece really stays in position I also drilled a small hole and installed a countersunk screw in it.

Took a short trip around the block to verify that the switch returns after the turn and it does it perfectly every time. I hope it will keep together in the long run too. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
For $40 I found it much faster and easier to buy a new arm rather than repair the broken one.
Ditto,
I posted pics how to do the swap fairly easily on a sky. Saved a lot of disassembly. It's on this forum somewhere.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a weak design from the start so the risk is that a new stalk will break again. You have to disassemble the panel in the car anyway. The fix could easily be done on a desk, all you need is glue, a small screw and a drill bit. Here in Sweden the switch cost $130 and the workshop cost adds around $150, so its definitely worth it. I'd even do it if the switch was only $40 I am to curios not to... 😛

·
4,973 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
So I too have an issue where my signals don't cancel. Ive taken the stalk apart and it is fine. The issue started when I took my steering wheel off to replace the leather wrap.
Also there is a rather noticeable "click" when I turn the steering wheel back after a larger turn and have not turned off the signal manually.

Any ideas?

·
4,973 Posts
So I too have an issue where my signals don't cancel. Ive taken the stalk apart and it is fine. The issue started when I took my steering wheel off to replace the leather wrap.
Also there is a rather noticeable "click" when I turn the steering wheel back after a larger turn and have not turned off the signal manually.

Any ideas?
How far did you disassemble your turn signal switch? I am aware of two failure modes, both of which will prevent self-canceling. The one that is the subject of this thread is breakage of the release cam, and except for this thread has been considered to be non-repairable. The other is fatigue of the leaf spring that resets the mechanism, and that has frequently been cured by reversing the spring.

Did the problem start as soon as you reinstalled the steering wheel, or some time after?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts