Saturn Skyline Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install a rear turn signal delay thingie (it makes Sky rear turn signals sort of sequential - but acknowledged that two lights is only "sort of sequential").
Please see photos attached.

Question is:

Which wires of the outer rear light are for the turn signal?

I presume the black wire is negative. It gets cut and both ends go into the NEG post.

But for the POS wire - do I use the red striped wire or the green striped wire?

The photo shows the outer rear light removed from the housing.

Attachments

·
4,972 Posts
My manual says that the outer turn signal lamp uses the green wire and the inner uses the green with white stripe.
The inner and outer parking and side marker lamps all use the red with blue stripe wire.
Black is the ground.

·
Registered
17,329 Posts
As long as light 1 stays on until light 2 goes off they are sequential. Alternating would mean that only one is on at a time.
And that is why I said to ME...there was always debate. Now who on this forum has this module... (I did) and as I recall one light dims (light goes off) the other lights up....are there any other members who can verify this?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My manual says that the outer turn signal lamp uses the green wire and the inner uses the green with white stripe.
The inner and outer parking and side marker lamps all use the red with blue stripe wire.
Black is the ground.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, the answer is (on my 2008 SKY):
Green with white stripe goes to the outside flasher filament; red with stripe goes to the other filament in the outer rear bulb.

My first batch of delay boards were all defective; Amazon provided a full refund with no charge for return shipping. The second batch of boards from a different vendor worked fine.

The cost of each delay board to make a "sort of sequential" rear turn signal was $3 per board. One board on each side.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Question is:
Which wires of the outer rear light are for the turn signal?
I presume the black wire is negative. It gets cut and both ends go into the NEG post.
But for the POS wire - do I use the red striped wire or the green striped wire?
I did this with the NE555 on a different car just fine, but am now having a heck of time getting it set up right on my SKY.
Give me a few more days and I'll have it sorted for you.

Contrary to what anyone tells you, sequential, means one after the other. This is sequential: "following in a logical order or sequence".
Even that site with the pre-made harnesses that the gentleman above cited calls it sequential - here's their C6 vette 'sequential' tail-light kit:

(if the image doesn't show here, go to their site, click on sequential lights and then click on the C6 or the Charger below it)
and here's the sequential lighting of the brake and turn signal lights on my Sky (using the circuit board above):
https://tinyurl.com/y28zscu3
and a gif of my Sky left tail-light from the video clip:

In 'sequence', one light comes on, then the other comes on.
If it were 'alternating', one light would go out as the other comes on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice! I was going to tell you to use a voltmeter to determine all that - which is what I was going to do later tonight.
In any case - very glad you got it working (and I hope you'll write up your experience and directions to the FB group where others will also find it valuable)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Why don't u go to Web Electronics.
These boards are anywhere from $8 - $10 for 5 units.
That's a savings of about $100 & that's 'why'. :)
Also, the timing on the sequence with these is user adjustable - and you can add an additional board to each side of the set-up to make the rear DLR act as a 3rd light in the sequence if you want.

·
Registered
20 Posts
OK, but what is a rear DRL?
parking lamp bulb.
Probably should have said that to begin with - but then we'd have missed all the fun back & forth.
Sorry about that.
In any case, it would be simple enough to disconnect stock wiring for that small bulb on the far outside of the lamp assembly (you know, the DRL bulb) and place another delay circuit board in line to power it. (easy enough to install - but a pain to get the timing all synced between the left & right so the emergency flashers don't look spastic)

·
Registered
20 Posts
@marlboromike, if you don't see the value in being able to add this mod to a sky for well under $10, when the retail kits sell for anywhere from 50 to $130, that's your problem. Your injections into this thread haven't been helpful are not informative and our rude. Can't even imagine why you are here, and I don't care. But it sure seems to me like you're the problem here, not me.

·
Registered
17,329 Posts
@marlboromike, if you don't see the value in being able to add this mod to a sky for well under $10, when the retail kits sell for anywhere from 50 to $130, that's your problem. Your injections into this thread haven't been helpful are not informative and our route. Can't even imagine why you are here, and I don't care. But it sure seems to me like you're the problem here, not me.
PERHAPS....but whether we spend 10 dollars or 50 or 100...the end product is the same. Nothing new.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Following that logic if the cost of an LS3 swap dropped 99% to $400 in, your view that wouldn't be news worthy.

Regardless, if you aren't interested there's no reason to comment unless your ego demands it. Your comments are unhelpful and uninformative to anybody. They have nothing to do with this discussion and seem to be aimed at making other people feel bad because they're discussing something that you think has already been discussed to your satisfaction long ago? lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts