Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I was just wondering if it was possible to turn the Sky into a twin turbo? I'm not saying that I would ever want to do that to my baby or that is should be done to the car. It was more so a hypothetical question to pose to all on the forums.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You can pretty much do a twin turbo on just about anything, but the question is would it be worth the costs. Personally I doubt it, who knows, maybe Haan will prove me wrong

·
Registered
170 Posts
There is no point. Older manufacturers used the twin setup becuase turbos then were not nearly as efficient as they are today (among other reasons). One large turbo is as effective and cost efficient than two smaller ones, providing the maps match the engine's output. It is feasable to run a sequential setup in certian cases, but again, you are talking more $$$ and things start to get complicated.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I would be happy just getting the turbo added to Missy. The worst thing I could have ever done was take Mayhem out with Ernest and drive her around for a while. :willy: :willy: :willy: We tried to experience top end and she never cut out. Now I want more POWER!:banghead:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Twin Turbo Sky - Reply

Hey everyone I was just wondering if it was possible to turn the Sky into a twin turbo? I'm not saying that I would ever want to do that to my baby or that is should be done to the car. It was more so a hypothetical question to pose to all on the forums.
..."Everything goes great with Caramel"

.....Your desire to ADD a 2-turbo system to your base sky...should serve as a "BE PATIENT" ..SIGN-POST......... to all of us who's persevering...while we await our REDLINE SKYS........Because and lets face it.....after all the accolades, and the "thumbs-up" have died down......what will add...MAYO..to the SKY "SANDWHICH"........or "MUSTARD TO THE SKY HOTDOG"..........IS MORE GO POWER....which the REDLINE HAS IN SPADES.......So yes what our mommies have yelled into our collective ears...proves her wisdom was spot on.... that ..................................."GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT"...........(Thanx mom...for drilling that into my HARD HEAD!!

...go REDLINE SKY....0-60 in 5.2/ 5.6 SECONDS.....whoooo hoooo

.....:deadhorse

·
Registered
388 Posts
Turbos

There is no point. Older manufacturers used the twin setup becuase turbos then were not nearly as efficient as they are today (among other reasons). One large turbo is as effective and cost efficient than two smaller ones, providing the maps match the engine's output. It is feasable to run a sequential setup in certian cases, but again, you are talking more $$$ and things start to get complicated.
...."Everything goes great with Caramel"

I agree :agree:
....................The TURBOS of today...are vastly superior in both engineering and performace (and durabiity)..to Turbo systems of yore......cases in point - ....my ..1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z....was a 2.2 intercooled turbo....engine also....that produced "only" 174 hp @ 5200 and 200lb of torque @ 3,600.........output was 0-60 in 7.4 seconds......Personally...I would be "extreamly" cautious.....about installing an aftermarket turbo system...without the proper engineering knowledge...(Even if a turbo manufacturer was used for the installation)......I would think other performance items on the car would need to be "in-sync".....WITH THE POWER UPGRADE..........

...again...more reasons to just sit-n-smile....at the choice made by REDLINE BUYERS.......(all that upgrade stuff already INCLUDED in the box:thumbs:

:deadhorse

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am about to offer some universal advice. To all those who are considering turbocharging your NA SKY (or any car for that matter)--I strongly suggest you purchase a wideband O2 sensor, as it is critical to monitor the AFR as your car was not desinged for the increased fuel needed when turbocharging and engine. They can be had for around $300 give or take, and several companies sell them. I myself use the AEM UEGO as it is easy to read, accurate, and is from a reputable performance company. This is just my recomendation, but ask anyone who is seriously into tuning cars and I believe they will tell you the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
11,586 Posts
I am about to offer some universal advice. To all those who are considering turbocharging your NA SKY (or any car for that matter)--I strongly suggest you purchase a wideband O2 sensor, as it is critical to monitor the AFR as your car was not desinged for the increased fuel needed when turbocharging and engine. They can be had for around $300 give or take, and several companies sell them. I myself use the AEM UEGO as it is easy to read, accurate, and is from a reputable performance company. This is just my recomendation, but ask anyone who is seriously into tuning cars and I believe they will tell you the same thing.
x2

However, I would also add to this sometype of scan tool. You need to monitor what the engine is doing with the added power. A wideband O2 is a must as well, but without the other data that a good scantool will give you it isn't going to provide you with a complete picture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts