Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I installed LED turn signal lamps and have the hyper-signal. Is that a problem or just an annoyance?

2. I know I should have taken a picture...I will. I think my Sky has been modified. I can't find the air filter to save my life, BUT I found a round air filter connected to chrome pipes right in the front center of the engine compartment. Isn't that where the original air filter was in a rectangular plastic box?

·
Registered
913 Posts
1. I installed LED turn signal lamps and have the hyper-signal. Is that a problem or just an annoyance?

2. I know I should have taken a picture...I will. I think my Sky has been modified. I can't find the air filter to save my life, BUT I found a round air filter connected to chrome pipes right in the front center of the engine compartment. Isn't that where the original air filter was in a rectangular plastic box?
1. This won't cause any issues other than the annoyance to you or other drivers. If you splice in a resistor it will solve that issue. You could also just swap back to an incandescent bulb, other than different color temperatures there isn't really a value to having LEDs in the turn signals.

2. The factory air box sits right on top of the radiator and has black plastic ducting to either the intake manifold or the turbo depending on your model. You can't miss it, trust me. It sounds like you have a cold air intake added on. If it's chrome or polished in appearance you may have the GM Performance Parts CAI. Does it also have an orange pre filter on the round air filter?

·
Registered
450 Posts
You can wire in resistors to get rid of the hyper flash. Buy supposedly canbus ready bulbs(which probably won’t work).
It’s only annoying if it’s annoying to you.
Some don’t mind it, some do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll take a picture when I get home, but it is definitely a CAI. Not sure if it is GM or not. It surprised me because i bought a base SKY. Somebody was a tinkerer.

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
I consider hyperflash to be a problem because, to me, the turn signals are less vivible, so more dangerous.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Thanks everyone. I'll take a picture when I get home, but it is definitely a CAI. Not sure if it is GM or not. It surprised me because i bought a base SKY. Somebody was a tinkerer.
If it looks like this on a 2.4 car, it's the GMPP CAI. The orange dust or pre-filter along with the black splash guard are the tell tale signs if the stickers weren't added.
Hood Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Many were installed by dealerships and later by owners.

There are also other variations of CAI from aftermarket sources too. Some are from brands like DDM, RPM, Dejon, etc and others are eBay/Amazon specials. CAIs don't really do much other than add some noise for the most part and dress up the engine bay. I have the GMPP one on my Red Line, but simply for the sound and appearance only.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I consider hyperflash to be a problem because, to me, the turn signals are less vivible, so more dangerous.
I've always found the opposite IMO. When I pull behind a car that has hyperflash after an LED swap all I can see is that fast blink. I find it very distracting like a moth to a bright light. I can't stop looking at it for some reason.

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
I've always found the opposite IMO. When I pull behind a car that has hyperflash after an LED swap all I can see is that fast blink. I find it very distracting like a moth to a bright light. I can't stop looking at it for some reason.
Clearly we all see things differently.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it looks like this on a 2.4 car, it's the GMPP CAI. The orange dust or pre-filter along with the black splash guard are the tell tale signs if the stickers weren't added.
View attachment 120179

Many were installed by dealerships and later by owners.

There are also other variations of CAI from aftermarket sources too. Some are from brands like DDM, RPM, Dejon, etc and others are eBay/Amazon specials. CAIs don't really do much other than add some noise for the most part and dress up the engine bay. I have the GMPP one on my Red Line, but simply for the sound and appearance only.
Mine looks just like this with the black splash guard, but there is no pre-filter on it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Mine looks just like this with the black splash guard, but there is no pre-filter on it.
To my knowledge only the GMPP CAI had the splash guard so that would be my best guess. The pre-filter may have disappeared over the years, but you could always pick up a new one (PN 19155349 they pop up online sometimes, I believe Crate Engine Depot no longer has any though) or you could just get from AEM or similar online if you care to. It may not be a bad idea to replace the filter too depending on it's condition and especially if you don't know the history on when it was last changed. You would need a new dry filter (PN 19202663)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To my knowledge only the GMPP CAI had the splash guard so that would be my best guess. The pre-filter may have disappeared over the years, but you could always pick up a new one (PN 19155349 they pop up online sometimes, I believe Crate Engine Depot no longer has any though) or you could just get from AEM or similar online if you care to. It may not be a bad idea to replace the filter too depending on it's condition and especially if you don't know the history on when it was last changed. You would need a new dry filter (PN 19202663)
Thanks for this. I was going to ask if it was a washable filter or just a replacement. The part numbers are a great help!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Didn't find the GM pre-filter anywhere. Anyone try these? Amazon Filter Wears
Something like that would work. I'm not seeing dimensions though. IIRC I believe the filter is around a 5x5 roughly with a 3" opening. Also the important thing when looking for a filter though if you can't find the GM part is that it's a dry filter. Oiled filters can cause issues with the MAF.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Something like that would work. I'm not seeing dimensions though. IIRC I believe the filter is around a 5x5 roughly with a 3" opening. Also the important thing when looking for a filter though if you can't find the GM part is that it's a dry filter. Oiled filters can cause issues with the MAF.
K&N filters are oiled aren't they? Thank you for all this knowledge.

·
Registered
913 Posts
K&N filters are oiled aren't they? Thank you for all this knowledge.
They are, some folks say they have never had a problem and others have reported MAF fouling because of the oil. I suppose it also depends how much oil was applied to the filter. I personally would just stick with a dry filter and avoid it. Depending on your usage it would still most likely last quite a long time.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Well crap. The OEM version of the filter is out of stock. Does anyone have a "Generic" part number? The Fujima filters seem to be gone as well.
I would check crateenginedepot.com the last I looked they had them in stock, but I haven't gone through a checkout process to confirm. I have the 2.0 engine so my model number is different, but I imagine they are the same size. If not an AEM Dryflow filter should also work as I believe AEM made the GM ones anyway. I think the only difference is the little nub on the splash shield .

I believe this one is the correct size. Amazon.com

I would measure yours when you can to confirm though. All I remember is the filter being 5" tall x 5"wide at the top and a 3" coupler. I don't remember the filter flange length or the bottom of the cone diameter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts