Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
CAI - Cold Air Intake, but the OEM design is also a CAI, so the unique identification confuses me. In fact, the design of the OEM will draw in more "cold" air than the others because it draws air in directionally from the front instead of from all around. I never understood the benefit to that mod for everyday driving.

Karl, If your plan of use excludes trac racing, buy an OEM air intake system. You will be better off. Buy generic disposible pleated air filters and change it when it looks dirty. The OEM one will also stay cleaner for a longer period of time.

Reactions: Karl Hungus

·
Administrator
8,247 Posts
CAI - Cold Air Intake, but the OEM design is also a CAI, so the unique identification confuses me. In fact, the design of the OEM will draw in more "cold" air than the others because it draws air in directionally from the front instead of from all around. I never understood the benefit to that mod for everyday driving.

Karl, If your plan of use excludes trac racing, buy an OEM air intake system. You will be better off. Buy generic disposible pleated air filters and change it when it looks dirty. The OEM one will also stay cleaner for a longer period of time.
The CAI designation for those is a carry-over from the days that OEM air intakes were in the engine bay, and the aftermarket ones actually did draw colder air from (usually) in front of the radiator. The OEMs got smart and started installing their own intakes that sourced air from a cooler region, but those who were making money selling aftermarket units wanted to keep making money, so they saw no reason to publicize that their CAIs were no better than the CAI that came on the car.

At one time they were beneficial even in everyday driving, since colder intake air results in better efficiency, whether that translates to more power or better fuel economy is irrelevent. They were most beneficial in stop-and-go driving, since that is when underhood temperatures are the highest.

The Sky intake is quite efficient and, even for tracking the car, there is no performance benefit from an aftermarket intake.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Has anyone on this forum ever sought out water injection for a Sky? That would seem to be a better avenue for HP gain instead of messing with OEM the air filter.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Has anyone on this forum ever sought out water injection for a Sky? That would seem to be a better avenue for HP gain instead of messing with OEM the air filter.
Not sure about Sky, but I know many Solstice owners have gone to water/meth injection - though usually as an adjunct to other power mods. Certainly, you'll need a tune to take advantage of it. DDM used to sell a water/meth injection kit - not sure if they still do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Karl,

Question #1 - Hyper Flash. I did this same thing on another vehicle and had hyper flashing. The problem is caused by the low resistance from an LED bulb. It hyper flashes because the system thinks the bulb is burnt out and your dash turn signal would reflect that in the flashing, alerting you to the problem. Solution is to buy resistor which emulates a normal bulb and problem solved. Someone posted that you can buy LED bulbs with a built in resistor and that would be the best option. My vehicle was an SUV so putting in the resistors was easy. On the sky, space limitations might make it difficult (needs to be mounted and grounded to metal). If you replace the reversal light and the interior lights, you may also have some difficulty with them turning off all the way (low emittance light). Good luck, have fun in the sun.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts