Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and Gals,

More and more of the SKY owners are getting their SKYs lately so I want to start an after market stereo thread that we can use to centralize information on upgrades. We saw some pics from the Solstice forums on how to remove the door panels and that was real helpful, thanks! I have gone and ordered an upgrade in the components since I bought the el cheapos with my cara nd want to eventually upgrade to a DVD/MP3 Headunit. I went by a Circuit City and they took a look at my car and said oh you have cell phone capability via Onstar...hmm that will not be a fun option to do at this time. Do any of you keep up witht he times on these things? I am in the outs when it comes to headunits these days and as well components, but I did end up purchasing a nice set of Polk (btw go them for $150 shipped 2 day UPS through another site. I think these will look great in my silver graphite car and sound even better.

I am now at the point where I know just throwing them in the car will sound better than what I have stock but I may end up using a small amp for them bc these speakers are rated 100 watts rms. I know also there was belief that GM may have stuck to their adapter and this one would do the trick for after market upgrades. Does anyone out there know fact on this as well? I am willing to upgrade my stereo and take as many pics as possible to show how to do it on the SKY forums, but if anyone has already done so please let us "clueless" people know what you have found or if you have any helpful info please throw it out here! Thanks...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks USMC I saw that and what an excellent post that was. I plan to try the same on my SKY very soon and will post pics as well. You guys can just ignore this thread until I get some real good stufff for it :lol: I just wanted to start one to get the after market stereo upgrades going for the near and distant future. More to come soon!

·
Registered
94 Posts
can you use still use the steering wheel controls then jwing i got the the upgraded sound system and im happy with it THANKS

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good call on this thread.

I have a Pioneer DVD/LCD waiting for this car.

Someone figure out how to stuff a subwoofer in the trunk, I plan on unplugging everything except a set of high-end components and an aftermarket sub. I also plan on re-wiring the entire car. I'll post updates if it goes down.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Tiger are you getting rid of the monsoon stuff PM me if you are might be interested :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well I have the low end of the systems so no XM and no sub but the pics I sent ya are from a Soltice on Ebay that I figured everyone would want to see what it looks like out of the car. I am going to keep kicking this thread around from time to time and see where everyone is on their aftermarket upgrades. Please be sure to take lots of pics and I plan to take pics this weekend when I upgrade my stock 6.5's and tweeters. I will figure in an amp and aftre market sub at a later time. I need to think that into the mix bc again I really want to keep as much stock as I can bc I may got RL in the near to distant future. I don't want to make any cuts and do only what I can reverse back to stock if need be. I will promise that any work I do I will share pics and step by step info with all the forum members via this thread. I already have neons in the floorboards see (can't see them unless you get low-this pic is taken on the floor looking up) :thumbs:

·
Registered
2 Posts
amp

does anyone know if the monsoon system's amp powers the components too? I have that in my solstice and it sounds pretty good. I was thinking of just swapping the sub for another 8" (ID8 maybe)and replacing the components with some that suit my ears better (I like silk tweeters better than hard domes) I was surprised at how clear the monsoon is (my last system was in my old WRX and was an extant amp, diamond audio hex components, & and a pioneer flat shallow mount 12 cast subwoofer[stock system was horid]) sound quality was excellent. The monsoon is close but a little Tinny sounding to my taste. I asked this on the solstice forum and no one knew if the amp just powered the sub or the whole system. thanks much...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haittowait I am pretty sure the amp ONLY powers the sub (but then again I don't have that system i just have stock). I believe that the headunit powers the components while the monsoon powers the sub, but you can always reach back and unhook the wiring harness (while playing the radio or a cd) from the amp and see what happens :cheers: (this should give you the answer!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Removing the Door Panels in a SKY Pt.1

Okay folks I have completed phase one of the component replacements (didn't finish due to time constraint this weekend! Here are some step by step instructions and pics for removing the door panels on the SKY.

To begin here is what the door looks like before my upgrade:

First start with the screw at the end of the door (phillips head):

Next remove the plug near the handle of the door (It has a flat shaped head and can be removed with something flat to get underneath it, then pull up):

Next remove the piece of panel near your handle (just has clips pull and it comes out easy):

Next remove the door handle screw cover (use a flat head screwdriver to get clip up and then pull) then remove the screw behind it:

Next remove the 2 bolts (9/16 wrench) that hold the door panel to your door:

Next feel free to go ahead and pull on door in the corners and follow all the way around it is only pop rivets left. The door should now fall down but you may not remove it bc of the plastic door lock (btw this is the biggest beyotch of it all and should be easiest-grab a towel and get some pliars and place the towel over the door lock and twist counter clockwise until it starts to come off then use hand to unscrew rest of it)):

Next it is time to unclip what is left:
Unclip the power window harness (be careful very fragile):

Unclip the power door lock cable:

Here is what the door looks like w/o the panel on:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Removing the Door Panels in a SKY Pt.2

Unscrew the speaker and undo the clip:

Next cut the tape around the clip and peel back and use wire taps (this is if you are using factory wiring and not trying to rewire the audio system):

Wire up new speaker:

Install and then reverse directions for placing door panel back on, DONE :cheers:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This sounds great, better than stock but probably will do an amp (50w-100w x4) one day soon and obviously finish up by replacing the tweeters too, heck they came with the components I bought and look to fit nicely in place of where the stock ones do! I have no plans for sub in this car nor think it would be beneficial to me, maybe you guys will think it will in your cars!

·
Registered
2 Posts
how did you do that

tiger20005 said:
Hey Tiger20005 how did you install the after-market speaker grills? do the stock ones just come off or do you have to cut the stock ones?

It looks great!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You do have to cut the stock grills off bc GM wasn't nice enough to make them removeable :banghead: I didn't mind bc I knew the look of the new grills would match the color of my car and look 10X better than the original mickey mouse grill covers.

·
Registered
669 Posts
thanks for the step-by-step Tiger!
Digital cameras are the bomb!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Wow, great job with the door speakers -- it looks great -- but even more impressive was the documentation you did with pictures.

I plan to get my hands dirty once im done with exams and I'll be sure to contribute what I can to the changes I make to the stereo.

This is what the Sky site needs more of (and maybe we can stop referring to the Sol site as much)!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PAC OS-1 (Keep Onstar w/ Aftermarket Radio)

Anyone have experience installing this little gem?
PAC OS-1

It is suppose to allow you to keep Onstar while using an aftermarket radio. I am unsure if I even want to keep Onstar because I have only used it once to date. I do love the ability for the medical emergency feature, but besides that I don't think I really need Onstar in the future after the free year expires.

...This is just something I wanted to throw out there to see if anyone has used this device!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
tiger20005 said:
Anyone have experience installing this little gem?
PAC OS-1

It is suppose to allow you to keep Onstar while using an aftermarket radio. I am unsure if I even want to keep Onstar because I have only used it once to date. I do love the ability for the medical emergency feature, but besides that I don't think I really need Onstar in the future after the free year expires.

...This is just something I wanted to throw out there to see if anyone has used this device!
I had no idea such a thing existed and its pretty reasonably priced too.

I have looked around and it seems a decent number of GM owners have installed it without much problem:
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t52275.html
http://www.clubavalanche.com/forums/index.php?&act=Garage&CODE=13&MID=372&CID=44

Not much else in the way of forum posts other than affirmation that it works though.

1 - 20 of 277 Posts