Saturn Sky Forum banner

241 - 260 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've got an embedded background in vehicle systems so I'll have to check this out. Seriously, I'll be compelled. ha ha

My girlfriend pointed out that it's just reached 50F outside so the ride is off, unless I want to go alone. Saturday is supposed to be 68F so we'll try then.

My buddy, Hib Halverson, is a 30-year industry tech writer. He got a CTS-V and mentioned the thermostat is at the back of the engine above the transmission. Yikes! Great car though!
Oh, if you have a background in embedded vehicle systems you'll pick it up in no time.

What year CTS-V? On the Gen 2 with the LSA the thermostat is at the front of the engine and as far as I can tell it's the same for the LT4 in the Gen 3 Vs. I do enjoy mine, but I actually prefer the Sky to drive every day (once I get it running right)

·
Super Moderator
6,729 Posts
....I see Macchina is some kind of a rooting scantool. I'll have to check it out! Must be of Russian heritage as one of the Russian words for car is машина (machina).......r.
As far as I know the Macchina was done by some guys in Colorado. You are probably correct as to where the word came from, though.......
Macchina is Italian for machine, and is frequently used in Italy to refer to a motor vehicle.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Italian is correct, from the FAQ:

Do you think you are pronouncing “Macchina” correctly? How did you come up with it?
No. We know we aren’t, but we are getting better. You’ll have to give us a break, we are doing the best our Minnesota accents will allow.

We believe in the ethos of Arduino so we thought an Italian word would be fitting. “Macchina” is sort of the Italian vernacular for "car". Josh came up with this name shortly after coming up with the concept for M1. While spending some time in Italy, Macchina was the only word he learned.

·
Super Moderator
6,729 Posts
I'm screwed. I thought I had some spare time this winter, but after going to their website (macchina.cc) I now have a whole new thing to suck up all of my time studying.
It did make me a little crazy to hear their Minnesotan pronunciation of macchina in their video. My Italian co-workers would be dismayed. But probably happy for its use.

Correction: The interfaces are all backordered from 20 to 60 days so I am safe for a while.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This fool put a Pioneer AVIC-4201NEX head unit in. He will add Pioneer TS-A878 in the rear and to his custom A-pillars with a set of tsb350pros. For bass, he will throw in a set of TS-W306Rs. All driven by a GM-D9605. If you think that's foolish, you should see what's in my other toys. For foolish example::nerd:
Well, I finally started my Ultimate Sky Stereo Project. The aformentioned components have been sitting and waiting on me for months. Stock is not enough for me, so hear I go.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Putting things in and out and in and out for fitment is the required process. However, having the ability to use DVD, SD, Android Auto, HDMI input and 2 usb inputs with audiophile clarity is going to be well worth the effort. The 2 12s are going to be glorious.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,252 Posts
The only way I can describe the stock speakers is they are < 1980s TV speakers. They REALLY suck. I believe ANY replacement speakers you buy are leaps better.
I agree but remember, no matter what speakers u install, our cars are not soundproofed. Top down driving blurs out everything...even with your top up, noise penetrates.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have tested on I95, Turnpike, Krome, Sawgrass, Palmetto and 595. Passed. Understand, I am running 200w rms to 4 speakers per side, plus 80w rms to the rear 3.5s, plus 600w rms to the 12" subs. Loud and clear is super easy with that kind of power. I designed the system for top down. Top up is ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I agree but remember, no matter what speakers u install, our cars are not soundproofed. Top down driving blurs out everything...even with your top up, noise penetrates.
If you have a decent interior volume you can attain some surprisingly good sound in a vehicle, but we are talking large sedan or minivan size to do that. You just can't get really high quality sound in a small space, especially pne with an open top or soft top.

Original stock speakers in auto sound systems are generally very cheap - you are lucky to see a driver that costs as much as your weekly coffee budget, so upgrading the speakers is the biggest step up.

Mike is quite right about the challenging environment a car presents and I have limited myself to speaker upgrades for that reason, unless the electronics happen to be egregiously bad in a particular car.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Mike is quite right about the challenging environment a car presents and I have limited myself to speaker upgrades for that reason, unless the electronics happen to be egregiously bad in a particular car.
There is at least one car I can think of with that situation... :wink:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I absolutely agree that a vehicle with a voluminous closed interior has an advantage over our tiny space. However, being able to turn up the volume can overcome the wind noise. I don't know who on our forum has a motorcycle, but I do. The 4 6.5" Polk audios that I have on my bike pointing directly at my face are loud and clear at over 100 mph. My Sky setup now has speakers on the A-pillar that cannot be muffled by wind noise. I added an extra 6.5" in the door for even more high and midrange db. The subs that are 4" away from your back are omnipresent. So, top down=no problem. Picture turning up your headphones to drown out noisy people. :thumbs:

·
Registered
108 Posts
What kind of amp setup do you have? Did you have to make any adjustments under the hood to compensate for any additional current drain, or is the alternator and battery able to keep up?

·
Registered
49 Posts
What kind of amp setup do you have? Did you have to make any adjustments under the hood to compensate for any additional current drain, or is the alternator and battery able to keep up?
See post 246-forward for setup. All stock on alt/batt. Bass is turned way down. But when thumping hard, system will dim lights For now, at the levels I play it, it is fine. A capacitor would help it though.

241 - 260 of 295 Posts