Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody else having an issue with their trunk lid not sitting even on both sides of the car? I noticed it on mine when I was at the dealership last week to have the CAI installed. The car was parked and the service manager was finishing up my paperwork, when I looked over at the rear of the car and something just didn't look right to me. The right side of the trunk lid was not sitting flush to the tailight. At first I thought that perhaps this was something that resulted from them working on the car...but then I went back and looked at some pictures I took the day we took delivery...and to my surprise, the trunk lid was uneven in those pics. I guess I was so excited about finally getting my Sky, that I never even noticed it when we went to pick the car up that day. When I mentioned it to the service manager, he called over two techs to have a look. They both agreed that the trunk was not aligned correctly, but neither of them were sure on how to 'fix' the problem...they assured me that they could "get it to look better than it is now". I'm concerned that if they start ripping apart the trunk lid to align it better, that I will be plagued by leaks or some other problems. Here is an original photo from the day we took delivery....please give me some feedback on this. Am I being too 'nit picky' about this? Should I just leave it be...or should I go ahead and have the dealer try to align the trunk so that both sides sit evenly? You can cleary see in the photo, that there is a gap on the right side near the tailight.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,279 Posts
Well, I don't know about you, but that BOTHERS ME!!. :mad: ..usually I take the low road, and try not to make a big deal of things, unless I have to. example: I think someone had a white line or mark on there leather. Not knowing how bad it was, I said let it go cuz it could cause more problems trying to rub it off...etc.. But the trunk thing just isn't right, they should be able to align it. It just doesn't look right...:nono:
......P.S. i am kinda anal about stuff like that.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MRSVIPER said:
Well, I don't know about you, but that BOTHERS ME!!. :mad: ..usually I take the low road, and try not to make a big deal of things, unless I have to. example: I think someone had a white line or mark on there leather. Not knowing how bad it was, I said let it go cuz it could cause more problems trying to rub it off...etc.. But the trunk thing just isn't right, they should be able to align it. It just doesn't look right...:nono:
......P.S. i am kinda anal about stuff like that.....
Thanks for your input...I'm glad to see that I'm not the only "anal" one around here. :D Yeah, it bothers me too. Since it evidently came from the factory like that, I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered it..and if so, what did the dealer do to fix it? The tech guys at my dealer don't have a whole lot of experience working on Skys, so they aren't really sure how to tackle this one, but assured me that they could "get it better". :confused: I'm not sure if that's the answer I was looking for...I was hoping to hear that they could fix it so that it's "perfect". I guess I'm asking for too much. :rolleyes:
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
5,953 Posts
Have them adjust the right bracket down about 1/4 inch and then check the lines on the rear deck. Then check to make sure it doesn't rub anywhere. ...Skip...If I was there I would do it for you....Simply adjustment.....:cheers: :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
I took mine in for sevice and oil change and they adjusted the panels to specs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
My whole lid had to be adjusted up about 1/4 inch. They need to put those robots on probation...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,011 Posts
I looked at my trunk lid. I think that would be a very simple adjustment. I wouldn't sweat it too much (unless the dealer did not fix it, then I would be anal also).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Trunk Lid Problems

I had to take my Sky in for this problem. I was bad enough that the rain leaked into the trunk in the rear of the trunk in the middle right between the support bars. Dealership fixed it by adjusting the trunk lid's ailment. The techs of the dealership took a look at the Sky on the lot and it too leaked in the same place! Imagine that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
wow, interesting...I'll keep an eye out for that when i take delivery of my Redline.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
500 Posts
My dealer worked on aligning my trunk lid for two hours, and every time they fixed one side it rubbed somewhere else. They said that if I still had problems they would try again, but they guessed that the side quarter-panels may not have been installed properly, and that it could be a pretty big deal to fix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
richm said:
My dealer worked on aligning my trunk lid for two hours, and every time they fixed one side it rubbed somewhere else. They said that if I still had problems they would try again, but they guessed that the side quarter-panels may not have been installed properly, and that it could be a pretty big deal to fix.

UGH!!! That is what I'm afraid of...:willy: I plan on having this taken care of when I bring the car in for my first oil change at 1K miles (I'm at 650 now, so it shouldn't be too long). Hopefully mine won't involve the side quarter-panels and will be an easy adjustment (keeping my fingers crossed).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
MyMidnightSky said:
My whole lid had to be adjusted up about 1/4 inch. They need to put those robots on probation...
:agree:
 

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
Joined
·
1,012 Posts
nscrbug said:
UGH!!! That is what I'm afraid of...:willy: I plan on having this taken care of when I bring the car in for my first oil change at 1K miles (I'm at 650 now, so it shouldn't be too long). Hopefully mine won't involve the side quarter-panels and will be an easy adjustment (keeping my fingers crossed).
You have had to bring your car in for a few things now. I hope the madness ends. :banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pitcom said:
You have had to bring your car in for a few things now. I hope the madness ends. :banghead:
This is true, Pitcom. I've had it in twice already in the 3 weeks that I've owned it. But the most recent visit was to have the CAI and splashguards installed...the first time was for a window adjustment and paint chip/scratch repair. I don't plan on bringing it in again until my first oil change. Hope this car doesn't end up like my Harley...in the shop more often than on the road. :banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
MyMidnightSky said:
My whole lid had to be adjusted up about 1/4 inch. They need to put those robots on probation...
Would it be kinky to spank a robot? :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
I went out and looked at Sunni. The driver's side trunk lid is perhaps 1/16 of a inch higher than the Passenger side. Other than that they line up OK..

Something I would not have noticed but is no big deal. Now the alignment would have bothered me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rick Tinley Park said:
I went out and looked at Sunni. The driver's side trunk lid is perhaps 1/16 of a inch higher than the Passenger side. Other than that they line up OK..

Something I would not have noticed but is no big deal. Now the alignment would have bothered me.

So Rick...are you saying that your trunk lid looks similar to mine, except that yours is higher on the driver's side versus the passenger side like mine is? Is it higher near the tailight like mine is...or is yours higher towards the hump?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Mine is a bit too.

I noticed mine was a bit high on the left side on the front by the hump when I was being shown how to set up the top and put it away. But after putting the top up and down a few times I then noticed on the other side. On mine it seems to be on the oppsite side you push on when closing the lid. I try to push in the middle because that is where the catch is but one side or the other is up just a little. It just takes a little push on the high side and it evens out nicely but then you have paw prints on the paint again.:willy: I think if there were two catches, left and right instead of in the middle this would be more solid. IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
nscrbug said:
So Rick...are you saying that your trunk lid looks similar to mine, except that yours is higher on the driver's side versus the passenger side like mine is? Is it higher near the tailight like mine is...or is yours higher towards the hump?
I detect it to be higher at the tailight. However. If I open it and reclose it (using the center) the difference is less - sometimes non-existent. Either way it is not enough for me to notice much....
In fact it comes and goes.
Just know I fixed it by opening the lid and reclosing it from teh center -- now it is fine.
Again, though, the difference is SO little
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
Mine TOO!

I put the top up and down for the first time, good thing I did. Now after about ten minutes practice I'm ok with it.
Here's the catch though, my trunk is out of alignment also! I was searching for info and this thread popped up. Nope, not alone on this, less than 24 hours old and finding the little flaws. Got to get them fixed or they nag at you.

Imaged 23/06/06
KGKH3X
BUILD WEEK! 31JUL06 – 06AUG06
4200 Shipped 8/14/06
AT THE DEALERSHIP 8/30/06
IN MY GARAGE 8/31/06
Midnight Blue
Tan Leather Inserts
Tan Top
Manual
LSD
6 Disc Monsoon
Chromed 18 in wheels
Windscreen
Wheel locks
Cold Air Intake
Mud Guards? I didn’t order mud guards
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top