Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so who is gonna think of those accessories that NO ONE else has? custom mods, home-made or hand-made parts, or maybe just design ideas you've thought of? lets here some of those cool inventions for your car! I'll start:

This one is more sort of a lazy thing, but it is very practical, too... an automatic opening/closing trunk? yeah, everyone will say "stop being lazy, it's a roadster! true roadsters don't have auto trunks/tops" but there are also a lot of people damaging their decklids just by closing them incorrectly! so, rather than damaging my decklid by accident, i'll think up some way to make it automatic, so no one has to touch it :thumbs:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Unique Accessories

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY BRIGHT IDEAS TO DO ANYTHING WITH THE SPACE BELOW THE GRILLE ? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
802 Posts
skyrider said:
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY BRIGHT IDEAS TO DO ANYTHING WITH THE SPACE BELOW THE GRILLE ? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
1954 Corvette teeth - 1954 DeSoto's would be too big
below original 1954 Corvette - 1950 Mercury with 1954 Corvette grille

·
Registered
30 Posts
101jinx101 said:
lets here some of those cool inventions for your car!
I am on the younger side of the buyer bell curve and am interested in performance upgrades. The Redline is the car for me, the closest thing to a Corvette that I can afford to purchase and insure. Besides the typical engine and exhaust performance tricks, I have also considered:

*Brake cooling ducts
*Brake upgrade - possibly find a way to install 'vette Z06 calipers & rotors (not sure if this is even possible on the sky suspension)
*Shift light
*Stiffer springs and sway bars
*Six speed swap from a Cadillac CTS
*Relocate the gas tank and flatten the trunk floor to add cargo space
*Create a fiberglass hard top for winter with a polycarbonate rear hatch that mimicks the corvette coupe (but hinges from the opposite side) and remove the cloth top to add space

Crazy right???:crazy:

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
Sky_Flyer said:
*Relocate the gas tank
Could always get rid of the passenger foot space... :lol:

Common - the good cup holder is in that area anyway!

·
Registered
63 Posts
101jinx101 said:
so who is gonna think of those accessories that NO ONE else has? custom mods, home-made or hand-made parts, or maybe just design ideas you've thought of? lets here some of those cool inventions for your car! I'll start:

This one is more sort of a lazy thing, but it is very practical, too... an automatic opening/closing trunk? yeah, everyone will say "stop being lazy, it's a roadster! true roadsters don't have auto trunks/tops" but there are also a lot of people damaging their decklids just by closing them incorrectly! so, rather than damaging my decklid by accident, i'll think up some way to make it automatic, so no one has to touch it :thumbs:

I have been thinking about that one too.
How about taking a trunk motor from a Caddy or Olds Regency?
I remember bagging groceries and taking them out to cars and being reminded not to slam the trunk. I had to let it catch and it would pull down on its own.
Don't know about lifting it up with the latching of the wings.
What do you think about the motor gig? Can get them in the scrap yards now I bet.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Sky_Flyer said:
*Brake cooling ducts
*Shift light

Crazy right???:crazy:
Making the body detail behind the front wheel a functional cooling duct would be somthing I would consider.

The shift light I can do without - I have yet to drive a manual transmission car with a shift light that was programmed to light up at anything even close to the way I drive. Besides which I am generally looking out at the road ahead, not my instrument panel - and at night I turn the interior light as far down as it will go - lights such as the cruise control or the low gas indicator on my Civic do not get adjusted and are very bright at that point.

To each his own of course, but for me I don't need or want a light bulb telling me when some formula says I should shift - leave the driving up to the driver.

·
Registered
30 Posts
shift light

Obviously a personal preference (as all car mods are). For me, a shift light can be advantagous for performance driving in that it allows you to keep your eys on the road, not the tach. The light is covered by a semi-translucent cap that makes it bright enough to be picked up by your periforal vision but dim enough to not be obtrusive. If you are staying well away of redline during all shifts all the time it obviously is not needed and you can shift by ear. However if you spend some time doing spirited driving and want to shift at maximum RPM without going over redline then a shift light can allow you to squeeze out that extra performance while paying attention to the road and not the instrument cluster.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts