Saturn Sky Forum banner
1101 - 1120 of 1134 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,101 ·
I wonder how the majority of all the other car types in the world that have similar setups are made more superior ?
This IEE system was a problem for all the manufactures above that I mentioned and all of them had recalls for the mats for the same reason GM did. Since then, the passenger presence sensor systems have improved considerably and now the sensors are mounting in places like the seat rails where they cannot fold and are far more protected from damage due proper seat use. Keep in mind the Federal mandate to have such a system only became mandatory in the 2006 Model Year and the first type of system like this that GM used was in the 2005 Cadillac CTS...which was recalled for their failure and whose fix was the addition of reinforcement tape.

·
Registered
2007 Saturn Sky 2.4
29 Posts
I just got back from the dealer. They performed the service the recall requires and yet my airbag light is still on. I asked if the tech attempted to clear the code and was told "Yes." They said they could diagnose why the light is still on (for a steep fee). Any advice on what to do next? I've never owned a car with faulty airbags. Kinda scary

·
Registered
251 Posts
Does the airbag on/off indicator at least work now? (Broken sensors seem to set it to off even when there is a passenger)

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI, I just filed an NHTSA complaint regarding the Saturn Sky passenger presence sensor failure. This failure occurred less than 2 years and less than 2500 miles after the recall work (reinforcement) for GM recall 17036 was performed at a GM dealer. Was told by the same dealer that the sensor now needs to be replaced at a cost to me of $1182.

·
Registered
251 Posts
https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-module-kit-19124219.html

The recall notice cites this as the replacement part. It only comes with the seat bottom and the control module? I'm surprised dealers couldn't just order the strip.

Anyhow, reading the notice makes it sound like the printed circuit gets mashed together with enough weight. I work with circuit etchings regularly and mine seems to be in the broken/open state. It should be possible to modify the sensor etching so that it is always indicating a passenger is present.

Now I know why the dealer needed to see my ex's Sky twice. They said "once to see which part is in there so we can order that one" implying there is more than one option, and "once to install the part." In truth, it was to see if they needed to order the part at all.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,108 ·
@MikeL thanks for doing that. I need to look over the complaints again and see how many there are for mats broken after the recall.

@ZPM there are 2 fixes. If you have a still functioning mat, then you get the "tape fix". This adds a reinforced tape membrane over your existing mat. If the mat is not working, you get a new mat with the tape already installed.

The issue is, I believe, that if you have mat that has already began to rip but is still functioning, the tape fix will not prevent it from continuing to tear and eventually fail.

·
Registered
251 Posts
So, if my mat is clearly not working now, I can take it in for recall replacement and it should be good for life? If that's the case, I'll do that. What I'm unwilling to do is go back repeatedly.

·
Administrator
7,088 Posts
So, if my mat is clearly not working now, I can take it in for recall replacement and it should be good for life? If that's the case, I'll do that. What I'm unwilling to do is go back repeatedly.
Has your can been in for the recall previously? If not, a non-working sensor will be replaced with a reinforced one. That sensor should last significantly longer than the original under the same use conditions. "Life" is a long time, or at least could be, and nothing is forever.

If your car has been in for the recall, whatever was done carries a one-year warranty, as will the replacement.

I have a sensor that is still working after 107k miles, probably a third to a half of them occupied, so the sensors are not absolutely guaranteed to fail. There has been a general agreement that trauma to the seat, specifically applying a concentrated load to the front edge of the seat bottom, will accelerate failure. There is a reasonable speculation that that damage could have been done by technicians replacing the ignition switch, since kneeling in the seat would apply that type of load.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I haven't taken it in for this recall yet. I'll visit a local dealership with the recall notice in-hand and talk to the service manager. Once he figures out I really know what I'm doing, I'm sure he'll go ahead and order the new part on my word that the old one is broken. It'll save me taking it in twice.

As for "life", yeah a bit subjective. What I may do is pull the sensor out once it's been replaced and move it to a safe location and put it in the "occupied" mode by compressing it. I never have kids in my car, only the occasional girlfriend, and I'm never selling it (I could restore it if I did).

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
What I may do is pull the sensor out once it's been replaced and move it to a safe location and put it in the "occupied" mode by compressing it.
This will not work. The mat is a matrix of capacitance 'mass' sensors, not pressure sensors.

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
Having the band aid put on the sensor will not work. Both of mine failed within the year. And one of the cars had 68 miles on it after the tape was applied. They did replace the mat on the yellow car, and I have not had a problem with it, but less than 500 miles on it in over two years.

Stand your ground and demand they replace the mat, not tape it. It is a joke of correction and has been since it was allowed to happen.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
My 2007 had the passenger seat sensor pad replaced shortly before I picked up the car last January in 2020. The dealer also replaced the supporting passenger seat base foam cushion with a brand new one. That was very nice.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Not really. The cushion and mat are sold as one piece.
Interesting. I did not realize that. In either case, I am happy to have a brand new passenger seat base cushion.

I replaced my leather seat skins this year. My driver seat base cushion was a wreck. I was able to make good repairs to it, with a lot of 100% silicone caulk. It is a great adhesive for torn foam, foam filler, and a means to strengthen the foam where needed. I used 2 tubes of caulk on the driver seat base and also some on the seat back to make them good again. Many pictures of all this can be seen by CLICKING HERE.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FYI, I just filed an NHTSA complaint regarding the Saturn Sky passenger presence sensor failure. This failure occurred less than 2 years and less than 2500 miles after the recall work (reinforcement) for GM recall 17036 was performed at a GM dealer. Was told by the same dealer that the sensor now needs to be replaced at a cost to me of $1182.
Just filed as well. The dealership wants to charge me $1500 to replace sensor after doing the "tape" fix a little over 2 year and 5k miles ago. Any update?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just had the passenger seat presence system recall done on my Sky..... I still get the red airbag light and the airbag message on the dash regardless if a passenger is there or not.... GM dealer sucks....Has anyone successfully bypassed the system or is there a $500 seat cushion in my future ?? Bill

·
Administrator
7,088 Posts
I just had the passenger seat presence system recall done on my Sky..... I still get the red airbag light and the airbag message on the dash regardless if a passenger is there or not.... GM dealer sucks....Has anyone successfully bypassed the system or is there a $500 seat cushion in my future ?? Bill
What was done when you went in for the recall? What did the dealer tell you about the warning light?

The PPS is not the only possible cause of an airbag system fault, although other causes are exceptionally rare.

1101 - 1120 of 1134 Posts