Saturn Sky Forum banner
1121 - 1134 of 1134 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,121 ·
What was done when you went in for the recall? What did the dealer tell you about the warning light?

The PPS is not the only possible cause of an airbag system fault, although other causes are exceptionally rare.
What John said. He was actually working on a bypass as the one offered by a German company for the Opel was a bit hit or miss. If you had the recall repair done in the last year and the error code is still the sensor mat, it is still under warranty.

I wonder how the majority of all the other car types in the world that have similar setups are made more superior ?
IEE setups? Many were recalled. This kind of sensing system though has been replaced with far more reliable systems over the last 16 years in newer model cars. No retrofit of these newer systems in older cars like ours.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
So, could one remove a working mat, move ot to another locarion where it is not under stress and then when time to sell the car, replace it in the proper location so that it meets regulations when selling?
OR, just wait till the car is old enough to be exempt from inspections?
OR Place themat in a sandwich of plywood to prevent flexing.
Or course it wouldnot beworking then, but it would not deteriorate and when selling the car, remove the plywood?

I am just looking for a solution that preserves the working mat I now have even if it doesnt provide useful information but that in the end, if I sell it, wont be a legal liabillity. Just what the hell are we to do 10 years down the line when the "fix" is no longer available and our heirs want to sell the car?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just leave it where it is or get a spare matt.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
One way a prevent my good working seat sensor from failing is to keep reminding my wife, right when she is about to.....

"Honey, STOP, Remember, Don't Knee The Seat". It's the same with our 2014 Nissan Altima, though I think that sensor is less susceptible to damage.

·
Administrator
7,088 Posts
So, could one remove a working mat, move ot to another locarion where it is not under stress and then when time to sell the car, replace it in the proper location so that it meets regulations when selling?
OR, just wait till the car is old enough to be exempt from inspections?
OR Place themat in a sandwich of plywood to prevent flexing.
Or course it wouldnot beworking then, but it would not deteriorate and when selling the car, remove the plywood?

I am just looking for a solution that preserves the working mat I now have even if it doesnt provide useful information but that in the end, if I sell it, wont be a legal liabillity. Just what the hell are we to do 10 years down the line when the "fix" is no longer available and our heirs want to sell the car?
Yes, you could remove the sensor and, as long as it is plugged in, the car will react to it without any problems. You could also remove it and store it on a shelf. The airbag warning would light, but the driver airbag is supposed to still function. You could not, of course, carry a passenger "safely", as they would not have a working airbag. If you don't plan to carry a passenger this would work but be unnecessary, as it is point loads in the seat that cause the sensor to fail. My '07 for example has 104k miles on the original sensor, many with a passenger in the seat.

In 10 years (or maybe just 1) there will be a working replacement. There is one now that works about 90% of the time but that occasionally does not start correctly. We are doing testing now to find the cause of the problem and I expect that it will not take long to find it.

The "German" company that @Robotech mentioned is actually an Irish company, and their emulator has proven to be 100% unreliable so far as I know. There is a German company that will reprogram the SDM (airbag controller) to ignore the sensor and to keep the airbag on all of the time.

One way a prevent my good working seat sensor from failing is to keep reminding my wife, right when she is about to.....

"Honey, STOP, Remember, Don't Knee The Seat". It's the same with our 2014 Nissan Altima, though I think that sensor is less susceptible to damage.
Yes, kneeling in the seat, placing heavy objects in the seat, and transporting a large-ish dog, are all good methods for damaging the sensor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What was done when you went in for the recall? What did the dealer tell you about the warning light?

The PPS is not the only possible cause of an airbag system fault, although other causes are exceptionally rare.
They added 4 retainers ( 10121502 ) and 1 reinforcement ( 84447742 ) All the lights were out till I took my Sky home and had a passenger sit in the seat.....now the red airbag light is always on and service airbag on dash screen always on....regardless of passenger or not.....
My scanner can't find any codes..... I told GM that I believe it is a bad seat sensor.... ( and that they made worse after recall fix )........ It is going back to dealer in 2 weeks to have them check it out ( unfortunately not sooner cuz of my schedule )

·
Administrator
7,088 Posts
They added 4 retainers ( 10121502 ) and 1 reinforcement ( 84447742 ) All the lights were out till I took my Sky home and had a passenger sit in the seat.....now the red airbag light is always on and service airbag on dash screen always on....regardless of passenger or not.....
My scanner can't find any codes..... I told GM that I believe it is a bad seat sensor.... ( and that they made worse after recall fix )........ It is going back to dealer in 2 weeks to have them check it out ( unfortunately not sooner cuz of my schedule )
The recall work has a one-year warranty, and with a failed sensor you will get a new one that has been reinforced.

The unfortunate thing is that it may take two more visits because the dealers are not supposed to stock the sensors. The procedure is for them to determine that the sensor is bad, order the parts, and have you return for the installation.

Once that is done you should be in good shape as long as you don't abuse the new sensor.

Most scanners are designed to read emissions-related codes, and cannot access the body and chassis systems.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Yes, kneeling in the seat, placing heavy objects in the seat, and transporting a large-ish dog, are all good methods for damaging the sensor.
Another influential factor are the ridiculous wire springs under the base cushion. I added rubber floor mats between them which seems to have helped with support. The better the support, the less the distortion. It also prevents the wires from cutting through the cushion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
John, you are right..... The dealer looked at it again.....ordered the passenger seat cushion & sensor....will be replaced under the recall when it comes in..... 3 trips to the dealer to get it done

·
Administrator
7,088 Posts
John, you are right..... The dealer looked at it again.....ordered the passenger seat cushion & sensor....will be replaced under the recall when it comes in..... 3 trips to the dealer to get it done
It was a hassle, but at least it's getting taken care of.

·
Registered
47 Posts
GM put in the new passenger seat sensor & lower seat cushion...... Works properly again.... Happy this was covered under the recall !!!

·
Administrator
7,088 Posts
GM put in the new passenger seat sensor & lower seat cushion...... Works properly again.... Happy this was covered under the recall !!!
That's great. I'm happy that it worked out for you.

1121 - 1134 of 1134 Posts