Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I will post the pictures of me in the Sky. I am 6'1, currently driving a 2000 Hyundai Tiburon which has a back seat, and I sit ok in it, I have about 3 inches of headroom. I fit so much better in the Sky at least leg wise. I also sat in a Solstice, and the dash and the center console were much closer to me, than in the Sky. I felt very 'tall' and unomfortable in the car. The Sky is truely a roadster without the compact worries. One question I have for you all, what happens if the car flips? I know its 50-50 weight and all, but that is very scary to me..... anyway heres the pics from the 2006 LA auto show, Friday December 6, opening night.

I LOVE THIS CAR WAY TOO MUCH...... funny the Saturn guy was telling people 'no you can't sit in it, this man ownes the car'!!!! He said he only had 8 people on his list, will I get one, I will put my deposit down in a few months....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah...

yes im worried about the mark up, however I am supposed to get GM employee pricing ond all GM's thanks to my brother who transports GMs via railroad....

Not sure if this is the case, oh yeh my dad manages a dealership in my town, and he knows everyone at all the dealerships in the town including the Saturn, so i'm pretty sure im getting a hook up.

I had an insurance quote on a solstice at 250 a month, which seems very low, since im only 20 and ive been driving since 17, however no accidents or tickets.

I hope to put my deposit on my car soon, I have messed up credit so my dad is co-signing, but I'm not sure if I will get it, it depends on the insurance. Im not paying 500 a month for the sky and 400 for insurance.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
All convertibles are required to meet certain roll standards. The top of the windshield surround makes a line with the back of the car that in the event of a flip over the occupents will be under that line.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
brentil said:
All convertibles are required to meet certain roll standards. The top of the windshield surround makes a line with the back of the car that in the event of a flip over the occupents will be under that line.
Brentil, that's not exactly the case. Actually, convertibles do not have much in the way of rollover protection requirements - they are voluntary depending on the tendency of the car to roll.

Reading on the NHTSA site, a manufacturer has the option of not assesing rollover protection so long as the car passes a sliding test which checks the tendency of the car to roll. With the low CG, I suspect this car would pass the secondary test easily.

You may be thinking of some of the other diagrams that are used to see what is exposed if the car rolls over AND the header is strong enough to handle the impact - neither of which has been commented upon.

I'd have to re-read on this, but that's my recollection...

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I believe you're right, we had a very similair conversation at the SF.com and I remember we determined it wasn't required.

·
Registered
623 Posts
In all honesty it's going to be hard to flip this car without some help from driving off a steep grade. The low CG should keep it on all 4's. The GXP comes with Stabilitrack which is anti-roll over protection as well, expect to see that in the SKY Redline.

·
Registered
238 Posts
skyguy85 said:
yes im worried about the mark up, however I am supposed to get GM employee pricing ond all GM's thanks to my brother who transports GMs via railroad....
I got a notice about GM employee discounts a few days ago. For those of you who aren't familuar with the policy, it states that when using the GMS dicount plan, you must keep the vehicle six months. THe only exceptions are the Corvette Z06, Cadillac XLR and the Pontiac Solstice- these cars must be kept for 2 years! I'm sure that the Sky will soon be included in the 2 years plan.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
bob said:
I got a notice about GM employee discounts a few days ago. For those of you who aren't familuar with the policy, it states that when using the GMS dicount plan, you must keep the vehicle six months. THe only exceptions are the Corvette Z06, Cadillac XLR and the Pontiac Solstice- these cars must be kept for 2 years! I'm sure that the Sky will soon be included in the 2 years plan.
now how could they possibly enforce that?

If my dealer allows, I'll be using the plan my grandfather earned after retiring from GM years ago.
or do they enforce this with current employees using the plan?

·
Registered
238 Posts
usmc said:

If my dealer allows, I'll be using the plan my grandfather earned after retiring from GM years ago.
First of all , a GM dealer DOESN'T have to sell you a vehicle under the GMS program - even if you quailify to use it. Back when Tahoes were the hot seller, my friend couldn't find a dealer that would sell him one under GMS.

Another friend let his sister use his discount, and she sold the car a month later to someone else. GM found out (don't know how- maybe through VIN #) and suspended him from the GMS program fpr 2 years.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
usmc said:

I understand that when you hire into GM, you sign a paper that says it is OK for GM to look at your DMV records. This means they can look at any time to see if you have tickets, which vehicles you own, when you purchased and when you transferred title (sold) them.

If they find out you violated the policy, you don't get to participate - which means you can't buy company-used cars, as well as disallowed from qualifying for GMS, for some punative period.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well

My brother doesn't work with GM but he works on a railroad which transports GM's and he gets some kind of deal. Would I be able to use it? (going to keep my Sky for life)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts