Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roseville CA's first car has lots of dealer installed paint protections - treatment on whole car and plenty of clear film. At first glance film looks invisible, but then eye goes to the multitude of visible lines where the clear film ends. Nice job with smooth corners. Immediately got the urge to touch the lines and found there is a slightly discernable lip. If it was mine I'd worry about someone picking and peeling it. :nono:

Now wondering 1) does the stuff work; 2) how long will it last; 3) will it bubble or cloud with age; 4) how easily does it detach - can it be peeled up by fingers; and 5) is it worth the price. The one I saw was loaded with about $1999 of the stuff plus about the same amount for paint treatment.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm getting the Scotch Guard 3M Invisible Protectant for my YELLOW SKY within a week or so of delivery. NO WAY am I paying the 100% markup to have the dealer do it.

Below is a link to a great article showing the benifits of the clear plastic protection film. Plus, a link to 3M so you can find an installer in your area. The 3 companies that work out of the Charlotte NC area are all waiting on their corporate guys to get a SKY for a couple days so a computer template can be created. BUT...one of the local guys feels sure he can do a Custom install no problem. Since I'm getting the yellow I want to get it applied ASAP before any rock chips & bug acid damage the front...so after I pick up my SKY, I'm meeting him to get the official word on if he can do the custom install or if I should wait for the computer template. Looking at around $500-$700 which will HURT, but will pay off big in the long run. I hope to get the entire front face, back of mirrors, and rocker panels done. It too much, I'll drop the rocker panels. I also have the 303 protectant to apply to the 3M and all the vinyl/rubber areas of the car.

http://www.automotivearticles.com/Clear_Bra_3M.shtml

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...gard-PPF/Home/

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
408 Posts
I'm getting the 3M clear bra also. The price the dealer is charging was only $399, but it is just for the front, I think. They told me the guy has to make the template, so it will be after April 1st before it can be applied. I'll try to get more details for ya, though, as I find out from my dealer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have it on my 05 Corvette, and its great!

Once you are 5 feet away you can't even see the line. It has already been worth it on a couple of occasions.

While it does come off, it is not as simple as peeling saran wrap off a sandiwch. It would take some effort, and therefore it is unlikely someone could just grab an edge as they walk by.

Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Zr1Owner said:
I have it on my 05 Corvette, and its great!

Once you are 5 feet away you can't even see the line. It has already been worth it on a couple of occasions.

While it does come off, it is not as simple as peeling saran wrap off a sandiwch. It would take some effort, and therefore it is unlikely someone could just grab an edge as they walk by.

Hope that helps
Thanks it does. That is a hell of an investment just to have it peel away.:thumbs:

·
Registered
326 Posts
NCBlue said:
I'm getting the 3M clear bra also. The price the dealer is charging was only $399, but it is just for the front, I think. They told me the guy has to make the template, so it will be after April 1st before it can be applied. I'll try to get more details for ya, though, as I find out from my dealer.
That is a GREAT price. Before you agree, see how much coverage that $399 gets you. Hope it covers ALL the front. Some of the Solstice I've seen only got a 4 inch band at the bottom of the grill for the $399. I want the ENTIRE front bumper area covered....all nooks and crannies...AND the back of the mirrors.

·
Registered
326 Posts
marklynn70 said:
Thanks it does. That is a hell of an investment just to have it peel away.:thumbs:
After talking to the experts & 3M, it can be removed but with a hair dryer/heat gun and lots of muscle. Does not come off easy. Should last 7-12 years depending on environmental conditions.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Kappashere already has 3 different kits for the Solstice and is waiting on thier SKY for a fit of the kit. All three of the kits together will cover everything everyone seems to want covered.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts