Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
So recently my first car (rip low mileage 07 elantra :cry:) got totaled, and I should expect an insurance claim of at least $5k. I inherited my dad's 07 Sky Redline (80k miles total, he drove it for about 30k) awhile back. I originally intended to let it sit for now and perhaps appreciate in the long term because it 100% will need some work done to it. It's factory parts, and as far as I know my dad made minimal efforts to keep it maintained, and there is no warranty. I am taking it to a friend's to get looked at so I can update this thread to see what the thinks.

So basically I have the option to get something cheap and reliable, or put money into this car and use it as intended. I'm more inclined to the latter obviously, but as a college student (about to graduate) who further down the line will probably not have much disposable income to pour into the thing, I wanted some second opinions.

Also I am not experienced at all with DIY part replacements, and lack proper tools to do most things... BUT I am willing to learn at least basic stuff at first. From my basic understanding OEM parts can be difficult to source for it but GM parts are not? What is fine to use instead, and where can I find/order from? What places are best to go to get things fixed/checked for the maintenance I can't do myself? One friend of mine just tells me to do an LS swap as well lol. Although I'm apprehensive, I really would like to properly take care of this car unlike my dad, and I like the idea of not just replacing but upgrading parts, so some advice on where to start would also be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
At 80k this could be a project, from the asphalt surface up here for you.
Dear ole dad didn't do a lot of upkeep over the 30k miles of usage.
College student and debt load after graduation. It can be cheap & reliable as a DD, but not practical.
OEM parts are GM parts, whether there is any left in inventory is the question. Body parts.
Basic hand tools for minor stuff, but a full blown garage with all the right tools makes a world of difference.
You can take it to a dealer for repairs but expect more costs to your bank account.
Fast Eddie the repair wizard can be hazardous to your permagrin- just say'n.
Rock Auto- E Bay- Amazon, GM Parts Online for most purchases.
Safety first- Tires? Brakes? Steering? Suspension? Battery? Water Pump?
Cosmetics- body, top, interior condition?
Insurance rates- something to shop and compare.
Another Sky owner near your location for a visible review of where you're at might help you
in your future plans to where to proceed and spend cash first assessment.

New battery, then tires, plugs & fluid changes- check the coolant level and condition.
After that is up to you to decide where your limited funds in the future goes toward the
fun factor of owning this car.

LAC

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
It is economical as far as gasoline goes. If you are not married it can be a daily driver. I am recently widowed. No, I didnt shoot her though there were times over the last 65 years I thought about it. I am using mine that way right now because my Lexus is being worked on. Picks up girls. But you dont need a girl if that is your only car, she wont like it after you get married and its impossible if you have a third member of the family. However, my wife loved it and it was "her car". I have had mine/hers for 40K miles and only tires and battery need replacing. Its got 94K on it so I am looking for the water pump to go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I feel you, I'm 46 now but when I was getting out of college and first job I almost bought a new sports car that would have put me back in debt (a new car, payments but no maintenance even). So this is purely a financial decision at this point. Can you actually afford a car that: Might need unusual or expensive parts? Has barely any room for anything except 2 passengers and a sandwich? Do you ever need to drive this in rain, or god forbid, snow? Can you afford to simply not have your car for 2+ days because its in the shop for something debilitating, or that parts simply can't be had the same day (highly likely for these older and rare cars).

Seriously, my advice is keep it if you can without spending money on it but DO NOT use it as a daily driver. Get a Honda or Toyota. Something that costs $0 to operate/fix per year. Something that has room for your stuff as your life grows. FWIW, my wife and I have 2 Honda Fits, and I can show you my repair database entries - they are so reliable and have literally needed only regular fluid changes and brakes. My wife's has 150k miles and I think we've spent less than $500 on "parts". 2 brake changes, some headlight bulbs windsheild wipers are the things I can think I've replaced. It's super reliable and spacious. Now I do have a Trans Am, and I've spent more fixing and upgrading that car than I paid for one of the Fits. And I'm working on my Kappa now to turn into a race car, and let me tell you every time I've gone to the GM dealer, it's taken 2 days for even bolts or washers, and RockAuto still takes 2-5 days. They are not economical nor ubitiquous. Even a Miata would be better as an only-car for dailying b/c there are so many of them parts are cheap and plentiful anywhere.

I think these are fun, great cars. They are just not meant to be anyone's first, primary car. They're fun second cars.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I have used mine as a daily for the past 7 years. At one point I used it for a job for 6 months that required me to drive some distance every day (there was one period it was 5 hours each direction every other day, plus the stops in that area once I had arrived) and enjoyed every minute of it. You CAN daily the Sky. However... mine has been cared for since new. If you are starting with a Sky that hasn't had the benefit of being cared for since new and experienced a period of neglect, I wouldn't recommend it as a daily. I have never been stranded by my Sky, but if it were to happen I could imagine that it wouldn't be a fun experience.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The BEST way to keep ANY car in good condition is to drive it every day. A car does not like to be left sitting. BUT you need to get it into good condition first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts