Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having spent evenings watching reruns on the idiot box and surfing for a Sky since middle of December I finally found a site giving stats on used car price trends.
Saturn vehicles have had a 38% price gain in a year. Now a news cast last night says that the trend is forecast is for the prices to fall this fall-October.

Now it would have been great if the site would have given a breakdown of states so one could see the impact of western states cracking down on emissions and the prices there seeming to fall or its because of the migration to FL or TX.

I'm looking for car for MN use come this spring and I know that convertibles will start a upward trek by the end of February. An early purchase would allow me to start a baseline with fluids and mechanical but really don't want a buyers remorse if the prices tank. My Solstice was a fluke in its price while it is only a daily driver and it shows and with a simple 2.4 and manual tranny its demise will probably by an accident.

Having two huge dogs travel to check out a car is prohibitive:(

·
Administrator
7,436 Posts
I think that the drop in used car prices predicted for the fall is due primarily to the expectation that new car production will be getting back on track at about that time. Used car prices are generally high now because new cars are not at normal inventory levels, so more people are looking at used cars.

I have seen no indication that prices, especially for niche cars like the Sky, will "tank".

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the cars are over a dozen years old. Convertibles might have at best 4 solid months of top down In the land of 10k taxes
I think I saw a old post from Clearwater, Mathison motors ?. I almost bought a car from them years ago but got a call back from a CL ad and bought a a Scion XB that was a perfect fit for a dog hauler and cheap. Still have to get a answer about a 07 Red with 50k from in park owners that is in WI. Found a white one with 32k in west KY for 11k. With water damage cars popping up getting apprehensive.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Our vehicles "should" come back down a bit next fall...however, I believe we will see a 20k mile GXP/Redline in yellow, 5spd fetch an average of $25-$28k this summer with the current trends I've seen. I think less desirable colors could fetch $20-$24k. So, "back down a bit next fall" will probably put them a bit higher then what they currently are at....that's providing the economy stays good. We're already seeing NA's with 35k on them going for $15k. We've seen a huge price increase the last year, and while some of that has been the VID, not all of it can be attributed to that. People are finally coming around and realizing these are collector's cars. I never would have said that 4 years ago!!! Our cars have in some cases, tripled in value over 3 years. I remember when I almost let mine go for $6800 3 years ago. Now it's insured for $18k. I personally never thought our cars would be collector's items, but pricing is now saying otherwise as more automobile pages pick up on our cars as a great little roadster.

Reactions: CoopSky

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Sky is unique. There is nothing available that offers the same level of style, performance and affordability. It’s taken 12 years, but it seems like the car is far more appreciated today then it’s ever been. There is little likelihood that the price of low mileage, unmolested examples decline in price. Waiting for a major price decline to buy won‘t cut glass.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
The Sky is unique. There is nothing available that offers the same level of style, performance and affordability.
[\QUOTE]
True the Sky has excellent styling. But many other cars are just as remarkable. Say a nicely maintained 2007 Camaro. Or a 2007 Camary.

It’s taken 12 years, but it seems like the car is far more appreciated today then it’s ever been.
[\QUOTE] The Sky has alway been appreciated. Resale values are going up - but it's the same for all used cars.

There is little likelihood that the price of low mileage, unmolested examples decline in price. Waiting for a major price decline to buy won‘t cut glass.
[\QUOTE]
I do know of a Redline owner that places his car in storage every year. So I'm certain he'd agree.
To me though mileage under 150K is good. The cars are made for driving - and it's nice to see one holding up.

I wouldn't wait to purchase a Sky. The time to enjoy driving a Sky is now. Not 4 years from now.

·
Registered
2007 Solstice
35 Posts
The Sky is unique. There is nothing available that offers the same level of style, performance and affordability.
well, except for the Solstice, which came first, and which it was based on

·
Registered
07 Redline 5sp
73 Posts
I still see deals..... There is an 07 Black base Sky auto near me in Northeast Mass with one owner 73k that the guy can't sell.... down to $9,995..... I've seen it for a while and I'm sure at this time of year can be bought for less than that

·
Registered
2008 base, purchased from original owner at 27,3000 garaged and pampered miles. Red/black
15 Posts
well, except for the Solstice, which came first, and which it was based on
Improved upon might be more accurate, as anyone who has read the story of what the SKY design team was charged to do as the Solstice was moving out of clay. I also have not read any car magazine's assessment of the two now 16 years later declare the Solstice to be the better car. Quite the opposite, in fact, from mechanics to styling to materials.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's the low mileage ones that have crazy prices. I've seen a few models with 100k+ miles for reasonable pricing.
I really don't see Yellow ones being premium. There's a Yellow GXP going for CDN$14k for a long time. IIRC mileage was avg. No bite.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It's the low mileage ones that have crazy prices. I've seen a few models with 100k+ miles for reasonable pricing.
I really don't see Yellow ones being premium. There's a Yellow GXP going for CDN$14k for a long time. IIRC mileage was avg. No bite.
The low mileage ones with under 20k miles that I have been seeing on carfax, Edmonds or Cargurus have been asking 18-20 most of the time. A couple of dreamers at 24k. But lets remember thats still less than new.
I am going to see a Blue 07 Redline with 47k on the clock that asking 13k with manual that pretty much checks off all the boxes for me except not forest green. Just received message on another 09 80k on clock for the same $$$$ with slush box. Prices vary a lot as to where. California seems to be a sweet spot as well further up the coast. Can't bring a truck over 10 years to pickup sea freight so I wonder about car emissions
Average age of vehicles in the US now over 12. Here in the valley it seems there is either a mechanic shop or a parts store

·
Registered
339 Posts
A friend in Illinois bought a used SUV in March 2020 for about 10K. Last month , after hitting a tree that fell on the road, it was totaled. The insurance paid 15K !!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts