Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I just got back from a family emergency trip to Michigan. Arizona is finally cooling down, so I figured I'd go right back to working on my Sky. For those just tuning in, 2 weeks into getting my 72,000 mile Redline, the seal on my water pump collapsed. I replaced the water pump, seals, and am about to replace the stock tubes with custom DDM ones.

Since not all of the tubes have arrived, I decided to do an oil change (I am zeroing out all fluids and parts to know EXACTLY when they were last changed). I AM SO GLAD I DID. The previous owner claimed he had an oil change done less than 1,000 miles ago...

Here's the oil filter...

The oil wasn't insanely black, but it was definitely time for a change. I'm really starting to think this guy had the car detailed to make it look nice, and never actually took real good care of it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I mean, just because the filter or the oil looks dark, you really can't conclude that he didn't have the oil changed. I think if you pull the filter you just installed out in 1,000 miles, you will find it looks about the same.

·
Super Moderator
6,107 Posts
If you really want to know, spend $50 to have an oil sample analyzed. It is amazing what the lab results can tell you.

Reactions: Robotech

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Back in the ole days....an oil change was just that....filter was extra. LOL
Unless you are old enough to remember the J C Whitney set up that let you just us a roll of toilet paper in a canister.....assuming that you aren't old enough to have owned bypass filtered cars or unfiltered cars, Mike.

If you really want to know, spend $50 to have an oil sample analyzed. It is amazing what the lab results can tell you.
I use Blackstone Labs for my BMW (my particular model has a long stroke 6 that red lines at 7900 and has a rep for rod shell longevity, or lack thereof). You get a ton of info, but not that one test won't tell you that much - do it every oil change and you'll get a very good picture of your bottom end health (in light of my previous comment, I should make sure that you know I am referring to the car's bottom end....)

Reactions: JohnWR

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I mean, just because the filter or the oil looks dark, you really can't conclude that he didn't have the oil changed. I think if you pull the filter you just installed out in 1,000 miles, you will find it looks about the same.
The darkness of the oil was what confirmed for me that it hadn't been changed that recently.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
That's a nice clean picture of a very dirty old, and likely cheap filter.
It probably sat in the car for at least 3 years and 30-40K miles.

·
Registered
17,617 Posts
Unless you are old enough to remember the J C Whitney set up that let you just us a roll of toilet paper in a canister.....assuming that you aren't old enough to have owned bypass filtered cars or unfiltered cars, Mike.)
This is what I remember....the ole pull chain on the toilet where the tank was above you. I remember bivouac when u went to the outhouse and sat between 2 planks of wood and hear the sound of your crap dropping...the good ole days. I remember waxing the barracks when 2 guys held your legs up and u shined the floors. I remember ..lol

And a little trivia...because the guy who invented that tank in the bathroom was named crapper...thats why u said "I am going to take a crap"

·
Registered
579 Posts
when u went to the outhouse and sat between 2 planks of wood and hear the sound of your crap dropping...the good ole days.
You must be older than me sitting on two planks of wood.

The outhouses I remembered at parks and such had a large wooden platform with two oval holes. Pick the cleaner one or join someone else, ha, ha. The roof was that green wavy fiberglass roofing, the floor was spongy leaving you to wonder if you'll fall through, flys were everywhere, and oxygen was scarce.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I've seen my filter collapse like that too, but i changed the oil at maybe 6k miles.

·
Premium Member
5,341 Posts
How far have we fallen when we start comparing shitters.. lol

I remember having great fun pushing over outhouses on Halloween night. We had one we did every year, until the guy moved it back about 6 feet and Mike Husky fell in the hole. He got even with us, well at least Mike. Will never forget the screams for help as he was going in. Halloween was over for Mike that night. We never tried it again.

·
Registered
17,617 Posts

The outhouses I remembered at parks and such had a large wooden platform with two oval holes. Pick the cleaner one or join someone else, ha, ha. The roof was that green wavy fiberglass roofing, the floor was spongy leaving you to wonder if you'll fall through, flys were everywhere, and oxygen was scarce.
No 2 ovals....the army was not creative....lol

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
You had seats? Wussies. There were still quite a few of the 'two footers' (they often had footprints on the floor so you got the idea) in France 30 years ago, especially at rest stops. Must have been hell on shoes in a cholera epidemic....

Between those and the public pissoirs in the cities(you could wave at your friends - hopefully with your hand - while doing your business) it was obvious that practices differ from country to country..

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Boards? BOARDS? We 'ad to pee in t'brown paper bag... with holes in't bottom!

·
Registered
214 Posts
You had seats? Wussies. There were still quite a few of the 'two footers' (they often had footprints on the floor so you got the idea) in France 30 years ago, especially at rest stops. Must have been hell on shoes in a cholera epidemic....

Between those and the public pissoirs in the cities(you could wave at your friends - hopefully with your hand - while doing your business) it was obvious that practices differ from country to country..

I grew up on the troughs in Taiwan when it was still a developing new nation. I think US style toilets are everywhere now though.

About the old days of oil filters, my dad said his 1954 Chevy had an oil filter as an option, when ordered new. He said oil didn't last long anyhow so it got changed frequently. Engines didn't last long either in that at 75k it would be noticeably "tired".

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OP: Here's some crap I'm dealing with on my recently purchased Sky.
Commenters: You wanna talk about crap? Here's the weirdest toilet I've ever seen.

I love the internet.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Taiwan in the early 70's, construction sites had a latrine that was just a 4'x4' hole in the ground. They'd lay two 2x4's across it and drop a kind of wood shed around it all. You'd walk out on the planks, drop your drawers, and squat. No place to hang toilet paper so probably waded up some in you hand before you went. Even to this day, the "bathroom tissue" I get from Asia (useful stuff) is made of bamboo and doesn't have a hole in the middle (coreless).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts