Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An "extra" Sky at my Saturn store. The used car manager came back from a local auction with a 900 mile loaded 5 speed Sky. List was about $27K. They paid a bit over $30K for it !!!!!!!!!!!! They have it priced at $31,200 and there is madness there. I am almost ready to buy ANY new Sky and trade it to them when the Redline comes in!!!!

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I also have been considering just buying one of the base models and driving it while I wait for my redline. My primary concern is that the Sky is very popular right now and they are getting a premium on the used equal to the purchaes price of the new cars, but it seems every time I have seen a new car like this the premium pricing only lasts for about 6 - 12 months then once the initial surge in interest in the car is over the price drops considerably on the used market, and I really don't want to get stuck losing money on a base model.:confused:

Right now it is just like the pt cruiser, and the price on those plumeted after the initial buying frenzy.:banghead:

I can see myself now it's mid january in Illinois the snow is on the ground and I am trying to sell a used base model, so I can pick up my redline:lol:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Makes you wonder what a used Redline would bring? I won't be selling, but it should help keep the resale value high of the vehicle down the road. Especially if the production numbers stay so far below the demand. For the additional money and for what you get with Redline, I think it is a much better value when compared to purchasing a base SKY, IMO. Nothing against the Base, but my one major concern was the lack of power. If the Base SKY had 200 ponies I would probably already have one parked in the garage since June. But I don't and I'm still waiting on a Redline. It will be interesting to see when a used Redline becomes available and what the market brings. The October issue of MotorTrend rated the GXP above the
350Z and the Z4, cars that start at base prices $10 to $15K more than a GXP or RL. There will be long waiting list for RL's for a long time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
(Sorry if this 2nd post comes through; I thought I just posted one but don't see it.)

Not that I'm advocating it, but it's a real curiosity to me that so many people just walk away from their Sky once it arrives. One would assume, maybe wrongly, they know there would be a premium for one available right now. I'm sure you could list them on Ebay or in the paper and make a bit of cash.

Again, not that I'm advocating this, just seems odd.

And what the heck is a Sky with that kind of mileage doing at auction?

Ahhh, the mysteries of life, eh?!

·
Registered
166 Posts
And what the heck is a Sky with that kind of mileage doing at auction?

Ahhh, the mysteries of life, eh?!
If someone buys a car and forgets about those pesky payments then the car will end up at auction real fast :lol:

"Son, you have to pay your bills" "But I don't WANNA!!!"

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, that's true ... but again you'd think they, or the bank, could make more just putting a sign on it. Go figure.

It does seem an unusual per centage of buyers don't know what they are getting into with this car; I mean, find it's not for them or whatever.

The only thing I can figure is the car is so damned appealling that people just want it and haven't thought it through.

It does bring out the beast in people ... which can be a good thing. Or not.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I think some of the cancels can be attributed to the folks who place deposits at half a dozen dealerships and then wait to see who gets the car first... If the car is already ordered or in production before the cancel, it will arrive at the dealer with no buyer.

As for the people that take delivery and sell, a lot of that can be due to inexperience with sports cars in general, or roadsters in particular. They're fun, but not practical as an "only" car. The first time that dad (or mom) has to drop off two kids at school that attitude of "it's a second car; we don't need any more than two seats" goes away pretty darned quick.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I wonder also if there isn't alot of cases where people are ordering Sky's without even test driving them because of the shortage they say oh well and just order it without the test drive and get a surprise when it shows up.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Well.... not that i am happy about the sale of mine.... but, because of my illness, i had to, it just wasnt realistic to keep it when so many want it and i cant even drive it for who knows how long..... mine had 10904 on it and in perfect condition... the minor things that were wrong with it were under warranty and i got all my money back....... SkyBaby

·
Registered
414 Posts
I wonder also if there isn't alot of cases where people are ordering Sky's without even test driving them because of the shortage they say oh well and just order it without the test drive and get a surprise when it shows up.
You're right, I may be one of those. My local dealer doesn't have a demo, heck, they don't even have one you can just sit in. Everyone one they receive is sold and they are real particular with them, so I had to go to the Pontiac dealer to sit in a Soltice and try to imagine how the Sky would feel. To actually demo one would really be nice.
Hope I'm in for a pleasant surprise!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
The best one I've read was, "It was too small for us."

Seriously, I can see it tugging at the heart strings of people, especially mid-life types who see it similar to a motorcycle. Freedom. The open road. A second chance. You see lots-o-Harley's in the paper with low or no miles too.

This car does instill dreams, I've got to admit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts