Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was in M/T and also posted on the Solstice Forum

Has anyone seen the new MotorTrend where it talks about a possible V6? Under the MT Confidential on page 19 it says:
"Word is the Kappa-based Chevrolet Stingray is off. But a V-6 for the Pontiac Solstice (and presumably, the Saturn Sky) is on and would give the Kappa sportsters up to 300 horsepower. We're guessing it's a version of one of the General's High Feature V-6s, like the 3.6 in the Cadillac CTS and various Buicks."

I vote for that.....Seal9:lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
seal9 said:
This was in M/T and also posted on the Solstice Forum

Has anyone seen the new MotorTrend where it talks about a possible V6? Under the MT Confidential on page 19 it says:
"Word is the Kappa-based Chevrolet Stingray is off. But a V-6 for the Pontiac Solstice (and presumably, the Saturn Sky) is on and would give the Kappa sportsters up to 300 horsepower. We're guessing it's a version of one of the General's High Feature V-6s, like the 3.6 in the Cadillac CTS and various Buicks."

I vote for that.....Seal9:lol:
You should go back and read the thread at the solsticeforum. Kappaman (Solsticeman over there) has already debunked the rumor as pure fiction and stated motor trend is covering their butts for printing the huge rumor of the stingray, which also is not happening. :cool:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
That's pretty funny....oooopppppppppsssssssssssss.......

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I read what they said, When I read M/T I called an old school friend of my at GM she said it was still on the table....Seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
seal9 said:
Ya I read what they said, When I read M/T I called an old school friend of my at GM she said it was still on the table....Seal9:cheers:
Believe what you want. The hi-feature V-6 is OHC and won't fit without a hood scoop.

I can nearly (but not fully) guarantee the source I heard this from is higher than your friend from GM. But maybe not - who knows.

All I'm saying is "don't get your hopes up."

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would much rather have a monster 300hp naturally aspirated Sky than a turbocharged Sky. I know people here say it will have virtually no lag, but I have driven enough high-performance cars to know even a little lag is a pain. That is why I am not waiting for the redline, if I need more power on my standard sky I will add a supercharger tuned for low down performance over slapping on a turbo for high RPM performance. Having a naturally aspirated 6 would put it in the running with Boxsters and Z4's. Also shedding some weight would be good. Obviously this is a car that is in high demand so I think people will be willing to pay mid-30's for a ultra-light, naturally aspirated Sky, with tiptronic manual shifting. Heck it would give my Carrera S a run for it's money.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, and it’s all about the market. I would like a N/A V-6 any day...She did say in 2008 line up but thats not far off, and she is very high up...Seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
276 Posts
With fuel at over $3 a gallon in most areas and still climbing, I strongly doubt you will see any more HP added to existing vehicles. Manufacturers will be putting their R&D into fuel efficient "green" vehicles instead...at least those who want to survive will.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
seal9 said:
I agree, and it’s all about the market. I would like a N/A V-6 any day...She did say in 2008 line up but thats not far off, and she is very high up...Seal9:cheers:
<shrug> Then we don't have long to wait. We do know this: GM sucks at keeping secrets. If there really were prototypes running around with V6 engines, we'd have seen them by now (I mean "we" as in the few that have very tight and high up contacts and/or live near GM facilities or suppliers that do the development).

For example, we knew about the Hot Rod Solstice long before there was a whiff of it in the press or it showed up in the magazine. Some of the "network" lives out in Phoenix and even saw it in person.

We also know that GM "plants" information to see where leaks are. It makes me wonder if this might be one case of that.

I've now had the chance to see what it takes to get a V engine into the kappa - rail clearances are, as I suspected, awfully tight. Mallett had some things to alter. I think Archie also had to fold a flange here and there, and I know from my past manufacturing experience that the closer tolerances get, the more it becomes a custom project (meaning that a person doing a limited edition engine transplant can spend many hours and "tweak" parts a lot closer than can EVER be done on an assembly line).

2008 model year means that they are building development vehicles NOW - so if such a vehicle exists, it will have to have been exposed to ALL of the team, from the powertrain guys to the electrical guys, noise and vibrations and ride and handling - so if NONE of these people has seen it yet, then it is near 0.0001% chance of making 2008.

Just cautioning everyone against getting your hopes up.

A bit of this won't hurt, either:
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=290&d=1131119038

:lol:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just don't see why they would be putting the v-6 in the car... it really would just straight out defy logic.... thhey're releasing the sky redline, they already said it would be a turbo 2.0L. I know GM has a tendency of shooting themself in the foot, but producing a v6 and a turbo 2.0L in exactly the same car just seems really rather stupid.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Never say never

I have no insider type info at all - just speculating here - but considering that the Fiero started with 4 cyl and then got 6 cyl later - with a transverse mounted rear engine - and some folks have even put an 8 cly in a Fiero - and of course the likes of Mallet are putting a V8 in the Soltice/Sky - I think we should at least consider that at some point in the future the Soltices/Sky *could* get a 6 cyl option - perhaps after the initial ihhg demand begins to wane or if gas prices or fuel efficiency comes down - or if items such as a powered top are added which also add weight thus requiring more horsepower to maintain a weight to hp ratio. Or, perhaps as likely, hihger performance 4 cly engines.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Where is the sense?

What should be the benefit for GM to offer a third engine playing in the same area as the 2.0 Turbo? If I look at the aktuell V6 offered in Europe by Opel there are two types:

2.8 litre turbo with 230hp and 330Nm at 1800 and OPC-type
2.8 litre turbo with 255hp and 355Nm at 1800.

Maybe in some years when the demand goes down it could be possible to offer such a smoother running engine to get a new group of customers. But just now with a very high demand and the limited capacity of the plant IMO there is not a single reasson to do.
Second fact is there is not a single car in Europe, Australia, Asia up to now.
Maybe in some years or some more years situation will change, wait and see.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
:agree: :agree: :agree:

I believe it's a bad rumor.

KappaMan said:
Believe what you want. The hi-feature V-6 is OHC and won't fit without a hood scoop.

I can nearly (but not fully) guarantee the source I heard this from is higher than your friend from GM. But maybe not - who knows.

All I'm saying is "don't get your hopes up."

·
Registered
136 Posts
C20LET_50 said:
What should be the benefit for GM to offer a third engine playing in the same area as the 2.0 Turbo? If I look at the aktuell V6 offered in Europe by Opel there are two types:

2.8 litre turbo with 230hp and 330Nm at 1800 and OPC-type
2.8 litre turbo with 255hp and 355Nm at 1800.

Maybe in some years when the demand goes down it could be possible to offer such a smoother running engine to get a new group of customers. But just now with a very high demand and the limited capacity of the plant IMO there is not a single reasson to do.
Second fact is there is not a single car in Europe, Australia, Asia up to now.
Maybe in some years or some more years situation will change, wait and see.

exactly... there's no point in competin with itself, the v6 version would be basically getting the same results as the turboed 4... maybe in like 2010 thye might change it, but it won't be for a few years at the least

·
Registered
623 Posts
Heh, I just read that in Motor Trend! I poped over to the GM Powertrain site and looked up some #'s. The 2.8, 2.8 Turbo and the 3.6 all make LESS HP than the 2.0 Turbo that is already in there. So unless GM has found a way to squeeze a 3.6 with a Turbo on it into a Kappa a V6 is never going to happen.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just an FYI
BobLutz said we'd never see any motor other than an ecotec in the Kappa cars from the factory...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Gm will run into price wall

If they want to get more money for the Sky in the future they may have to go to a hi-output 6( and I mean High). A fully decked out Sky Redline for 32-34 grand is running dangerously close to Nissan z with more power. When not if GM raises the price for 2008, The Audi,BMW, and even the Boxster becomes realistic comp.. GM could be bold and maximize profit on the limited production capacity by making a 400 horse low forty oversea killer. What is still the best bargain of the SuperCars? That is easy the Corvette. Give the Sky the power to compete in the upscale roadster market and it could become the Mid-level Vette. Just a thought.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts